• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cracked Pecans

Reaction score
My parents have about 40 pecan trees. This years nuts just started dropping and are delicious. They have a cracker and sell the cracked pecans for $5.50 per pound. Shipping is available at actual cost via UPS. If you are through Pearsall, Tx you can stop by and avoid the shipping cost.
My parents phone number is: 830-334-258three. Their email is patandalsmith at gmail dot com.

The picture below is of their cracked pecans.

30c9mb7.jpg

We bought a house in McKinney a year ago with 5 acres of land and have several pecan trees. We just collected our first crop of nuts and are learning what to do with them. We where told to let them stand for 2 weeks in a dry dark atmosphere and then crack them open. We collected our first batch a week ago and just cracked a couple and they seemed nice, so will wait a few more weeks before we crack the rest!! Wife now needs to find a good recipe for Pecan pie!! Any suggestions for collecting, cracking or storing them is greatly appreciated, it's the first time we have ever had nut trees!!

Gary

It is probably similar to a recipe for pumpkin pie. For pumpkin pi take the circumference of a jack o lantern and divide it by the diameter to get pumpkin pi.

We just collected our first crop of nuts and are learning what to do with them.

hope that includes eating them. :lol2:
neighbors tree used to drop a lot in my yard, but for years a band of ninja squirrels manages to get them all.
:doh:

When I get home I'll post my grandma's recipe.
I also have a killer banana nut bread recipe that calls for pecans.

hope that includes eating them. :lol2:
neighbors tree used to drop a lot in my yard, but for years a band of ninja squirrels manages to get them all.
:doh:

Sounds like you need a recipe for squirrel.

Re: Cracked Pecan

Any suggestions for collecting, cracking or storing them is greatly appreciated, it's the first time we have ever had nut trees!!

Not meaning to insult anyone's intelligence but having had to crack and shell metric tons of them when I was a kid (one at a time with one of those lever crackers and then the rubber band powered "slingshot" crackers), I do know that shelled pecans freeze well for long periods of time.

Oh, and if you're a Cajun like me, it's pronounced puh-kawn'. :mrgreen:

Sounds like you need a recipe for squirrel.

growing up in the midwest, my old Missouri Hillbilly neighbors called 'em "limb chickens".
mom almost passed out when I told her what I had for dinner with the Deeds clan one night.

I personally think that pecan pie is the best use for pecans : ) I was visiting the family over the weekend, and ate more than my fair share of pecans. They are delicious. I finally set up a facebook page (Smith Family Pecans) for them so people who have purchased nuts from them previously can easily find them. They can ship the pecans anywhere. My parents phone number is: 830-334-2583

my granddad has a 40 ac. Farm in NM and after the commercial guys harvest for him he goes out with this nut roller and collect what was missed. He used the sling shot cracker for a long time but has something nicer now and more expensive.

http://m.acehardware.com//product/i..._clickid=dac2f4f8-a364-44a9-ac57-6aac780f3baa

QUOTE=Thrasherg;1466739]We bought a house in McKinney a year ago with 5 acres of land and have several pecan trees. We just collected our first crop of nuts and are learning what to do with them. We where told to let them stand for 2 weeks in a dry dark atmosphere and then crack them open. We collected our first batch a week ago and just cracked a couple and they seemed nice, so will wait a few more weeks before we crack the rest!! Wife now needs to find a good recipe for Pecan pie!! Any suggestions for collecting, cracking or storing them is greatly appreciated, it's the first time we have ever had nut trees!!

Gary[/QUOTE]

care to share a recipe?
All I know is pecans don't go on top of pecan pie. They go inside. :eat::eat:

I personally think that pecan pie is the best use for pecans : ) I was visiting the family over the weekend, and ate more than my fair share of pecans. They are delicious. I finally set up a facebook page (Smith Family Pecans) for them so people who have purchased nuts from them previously can easily find them. They can ship the pecans anywhere. My parents phone number is: 830-334-2583

I talked to my parents, and they still have plenty of nuts available.
The nuts can be shipped anywhere via UPS for actual shipping cost.
Call them anytime: 830-334-2583

I will be in college station shortly, are they available for pick up?

The pecans are in Pearsall, Tx which is in South Texas. They are available for pickup in Pearsall, or they can be shipped anywhere.

Cayenne Candied Pecans are pretty tasty, too. :trust: sorta like crack

I have a a pa-con pie recipe, beat my MIL 2 years running in a blind taste test. If I give it to you, you must use this power wisely. I have now been tasked with all pecan pie for all dinners from then until perpetuity. Its that kind of pie.I rue the day I shared it. To make it worse, I make them in the mini size. Due to the nature of this power I well not share it publicly. IM me , if you desire to weld this.

My parents still have plenty of tasty pecans. They can be picked up in Pearsall, Tx, or mailed via UPS for actual shipping cost. Give them a call to get some cracked pecans headed your way. 830-334-2583

I was visiting the family over Thanksgiving, and my folks asked me to than all of y'all who have gotten pecans. They still have some nuts available, so if you want some tasty cracked pecans, give them a call. The nuts can be picked up in Pearsall, Tx or they can ship them via UPS anywhere in the US for actual shipping cost. Their number is: 830-334-2583

I ordered 10 lbs yesterday, just in time for Christmas pecan pies. Very easy and Pat was super nice. I wasn't sure how many pounds to order so she had Al take a 1 gallon freezer bag of shelled nuts out of the freezer and weight it. It was 5lbs, and shells weight about as much as the nuts, so I got 10lbs for 5lbs net. Pat gave me shipping price, sent me a paypal invoice and done. She said they crack them to cull any bad ones, so you're just getting the best. I will let everyone know how great they are when they come in. I'm glad someone can grow good pecans because I certainly can't.

TxTiger: I hope you enjoy your pecans.

If anyone else wants some tasty pecans, my parents still have plenty.
They will ship their Cracked Pecans for $5.50/lb + Actual UPS Shipping Cost
Pickup can also be arranged in Pearsall, Tx
Call them anytime at: 830-334-2583

Back