• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Are We?

my6

Reaction score
First Name
David
Riders or Bikers? I was at work yesterday and overheard a conversation between three people discussing Harley's vs. Goldwings. So the question is what are we? I have always considered myself to be a Rider, not a biker. Discuss...:coffee:

I don't see any difference in the terms and will gladly raise my hand to either. It is no different than drivers vs. motorists, either is capable of being a complete jerk thereby giving the title a bad name.

Being a fly on the wall and hearing these male and female nurses debate the issue was fun. One of them said bikers do the "leather thing" and riders are everything else...thus the question.

I think the traditional connotation of the term 'biker' is that of leather clad tough guy on a cruiser.

'Rider' or 'motorcyclist' are more neutral, and can include 'bikers'.

I prefer 'rider' and have felt the urge to correct people when they say, "Oh, you're a biker."

(But I have restrained myself.)

To quote woody from road hogs, "I just wanna ride!"
I never say lets go biking today. So I'm a rider.

I'm with Gina. To too many people - right or wrong - "biker" connotes guys in leather vests on big cruisers. I use the term rider to describe myself.

I think the traditional connotation of the term 'biker' is that of leather clad tough guy on a cruiser.

I prefer 'rider' and have felt the urge to correct people when they say, "Oh, you're a biker."

I agree. If you do a image search under biker, the stereotype is pretty accurate.

Motorcyclist are a bit more inclusive though.

RB

(But I have restrained myself.)

I lean this way right or wrong. The biker term just seems to come out wrong!

I also prefer the term "rider". Some "bikers" will object to non-color wearing riders describing themselves as bikers; so there may be a valid distinction between the two terms. Richard Bach (the fellow who wrote "Jonathan Livingston Seagull") was a professional flier, and wrote some nice stuff about the distinction between "aviator" and "pilot". For me, the term "rider" is an inclusive term that describes anyone on two wheels (maybe three also).

I also prefer the term "rider". Some "bikers" will object to non-color wearing riders describing themselves as bikers; so there may be a valid distinction between the two terms. Richard Bach (the fellow who wrote "Jonathan Livingston Seagull") was a professional flier, and wrote some nice stuff about the distinction between "aviator" and "pilot". For me, the term "rider" is an inclusive term that describes anyone on two wheels (maybe three also).

Interesting thoughts. Personally, I don't care if "bikers" object. I do care about the pink haired little old ladies at church that I look after; I wouldn't want them getting ideas about me. :shame:

I don't want a pickle... I, just want to RIDE my motor-cicle, and I don't want a tickle I'd rather ride on my motor-cicle and I don't want to die I just want to RIDE on my motor-cy.
can anyone put Arlo Guthrie's "The Motorcycle Song" up. That should settle this. He don't say bike on my M/C.

Last edited:
Biker denotes a life style, usually Harley oriented. Motorcyclist just like to ride and the brand of bike is less relevant.

I was walking across Main St. in Del Norte, CO one cold frosty morning several years ago; paused on the center line to let a car pass and heard a small motorcycle coming from the direction I was NOT looking. Turning to look, there was a little man approaching on a Honda 125; the bike was loaded to the gills with duffle bags, pots and pans, a little flag like you see on kids' tricycles and other stuff. The man was in his 70s or 80s, wearing a "brain pan" helmet, thick glasses, and a plume of smoke streamed from the pipe he was smoking, he wore a smile on his face and two spare tires around his waist. He was doing about 12 mph. As he went by, I, of course, looked at his license plate, which was from the state of Washington. My first thought - "Now, there goes a REAL biker".

According to some we're organ donors.

I was at the gas station and a....... PORTLY woman felt that she needed to remind me of this.

Being a nice guy and sharing her same enthusiasm for self preservation I informed her that obesity kills many many more people than motorcycles do. She was not pleased with my retort.

Kind of a dickmove on my part, but come on....!

Back to the OPs query- I've had someone ask me "ohh are you like a biker, but without a Harley?" (Again, a somewhat rude thing to say)

Nah. I'm just a dude with a street legal dirtbike and a penchant for finding out "what's on the other side of that hill", or "what's down that road"

Last edited:
I guess it just depends on the person making the statement.

I was out riding one day and stopped to help a lady change a flat tire. She had called her daughter to see if someone could drive out to help her but had not gotten through to her so she had left a message. When I was finishing up tightening the lug nuts on the wheel her daughter called back to see where she was. She told her someone had stopped to help her and was about through. Then under her breath she said "he's a biker". I had to laugh at that because I was on my smaller 400 Burgman scooter and was wearing my mesh summer riding gear.

Back