• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Loading motorcycle in back of truck

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to do this? I'm trying to decide if I'm better off buying a trailer for the gixxer.

What is the easiest way to do this? I'm trying to decide if I'm better off buying a trailer for the gixxer.

If you use a ramp that is wide enough to walk beside the bike, ATV ramps work good, then, loading and unloading into the bed of a pickup is super easy. Also, make sure you get the proper tie-downs that have sleeves that slip over the bars. This keeps the tie-downs from having any chance of damaging the fairing.

This is the ramp I have. http://www.motorcycleramps.com/rrextender.htm I didn't like the wider ramps (even though you can walk up them) because they take up to much room once the bike is in the truck. If you have a short bed it is a 50/50 chance that you will be able to get the tailgate up. This ramp can be folded up small or used as a tailgate extender when the tailgate is left down.

RR_RANGER_R6.jpg

As far as tieing the bike in, I love the Cycle Cynch. They don't tear up the grips or damage the controls like some of the other designs since they pull straight down (instead of across)on the grips. http://www.cyclecynch.com/

popProduct3.jpg

BTW, I still like the trailer best of all.

This is the ramp I have. http://www.motorcycleramps.com/rrextender.htm I didn't like the wider ramps (even though you can walk up them) because they take up to much room once the bike is in the truck. If you have a short bed it is a 50/50 chance that you will be able to get the tailgate up. This ramp can be folded up small or used as a tailgate extender when the tailgate is left down.

As far as tieing the bike in, I love the Cycle Cynch. They don't tear up the grips or damage the controls like some of the other designs since they pull straight down on the grips. http://www.cyclecynch.com/

The first option I use - a narrow ramp. BUT, I add a folding bench next to the ramp so I don't have to somehow balance the bike while trying to climb into the back of the truck. I have a craftsman bench that is perfect for this. Just step onto the bench, then up and into the truck.

Also, I use a sportchock in the back of the truck so I can roll up and just take my time tieing down.

Take that a step farther and I have the small ties that I put around my lower triple so there is no pressure on the grips at all.

The first option I use - a narrow ramp. BUT, I add a folding bench next to the ramp so I don't have to somehow balance the bike while trying to climb into the back of the truck. I have a craftsman bench that is perfect for this. Just step onto the bench, then up and into the truck.

Also, I use a sportchock in the back of the truck so I can roll up and just take my time tieing down.

Take that a step farther and I have the small ties that I put around my lower triple so there is no pressure on the grips at all.

I step up using my toolbox that I normally have with me when hauling a bike.

A sport chock is nice but I have issues tieing my bike down at the lower tripple. The tie downs put pressure on my fairings.

Skid

ust get a nice long 2x4 :lol:

So do you guys manually push the bike up the ramp? By yourself???

I don't see myself being able to do that - one, bikes are pretty heavy and two, pushing from that angle looks like a tipover waiting to happen.

I guess I kind of figured that if you were alone, you would have to ride the bike up the ramp. Which might be a seat wrinkler in and of itself?

Good question - I've always wondered how folks did this.

Dave.

So do you guys manually push the bike up the ramp? By yourself???

I don't see myself being able to do that - one, bikes are pretty heavy and two, pushing from that angle looks like a tipover waiting to happen.

I guess I kind of figured that if you were alone, you would have to ride the bike up the ramp. Which might be a seat wrinkler in and of itself?

Good question - I've always wondered how folks did this.

Dave.

I always ride up the ramp into the truck. It's the backing it down the ramp to get it out that I like having the wider ramp for.

I don't ride up mostly because I don't trust the tailgate straps. I have two break on me on on two different trucks. And I didn't have anything weighing anywhere near 500lbs on it when they broke.

Skid

back when I was in college I would load the scoot in the back of the truck so I could have both up there. I normally backed the truck into the ditch in front of my parents house and could ride the bike right up in, and then back the truck up to some steps of a building on campus and ride the bike down the handi-cap ramp
so you don't need no stinking ramps

Also check out these guys:

http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

A buddy has one. We threw the bag in the back of his Jeep and drove to Mississippi to pick up my bike when I bought it. I wish I had one to keep in the garage in case me or a buddy ever gets stranded.

I walk up next to it using the motor to propel it up. I don't actually ride it.

I was doing like I said once on a cool wet morning and the rear tire spun on the lowest rung of the aluminum ramp and sent it skidding off the side of the ramp. Wouldn't have wanted to be actually on it then...

Now I just use a trailer...pulled by my girlfriends corolla. :eek2:

Sold the truck and got a sports sedan. :-P

The Short Black Widow or the Long Black Widow depending on your needs.

The short Black Widow worked for my VTX 1300R and now my KLR 650 and the DR 350S.

I also have an 7' X 12' enclosed cargo trailer I use for the GoldWing and the DS bikes, too. The trailer has a drop down rear ramp door and a Condor wheel chock that is great for a drive on chock. I had a side door, windows and a roof vent installed when I purchased it so I could sleep in it.

Another Way to get'r loaded up.:rofl:

I much prefer the wider ramp and ride it up into a wheel chock using two tie-downs on the ramp. Due to clearance issues with sportbikes resulting from the angle of the ramp/bed I load/unload in an area where I can put the truck on higher ground than the tail of the ramp.

I've got a ramp identical to the one in the photos above, and it is a very high quality ramp, but i can not get comfortable loading/unloading without being able to either ride it up/down or walk beside it.

For those of you that load using a narrow ramp and a toolbox or step, do you load the bike under power or just muscle it in?

I much prefer the wider ramp and ride it up into a wheel chock using two tie-downs on the ramp. Due to clearance issues with sportbikes resulting from the angle of the ramp/bed I load/unload in an area where I can put the truck on higher ground than the tail of the ramp.

I've got a ramp identical to the one in the photos above, and it is a very high quality ramp, but i can not get comfortable loading/unloading without being able to either ride it up/down or walk beside it.

That's exactly my method/reasons. Never had a problem. Works great for me.

When you ride up your ramp take a tie down and hook it from ramp to bed of truck keeps it from slipping off tailgate and another tie down into hatch on side of tailgate to bed of truck takes weight off tailgate straps. Then ride up it

When you ride up your ramp take a tie down and hook it from ramp to bed of truck keeps it from slipping off tailgate and another tie down into hatch on side of tailgate to bed of truck takes weight off tailgate straps.

+1

Don't have the strength to push it up? Sure you do... I'll just pull the *I'm a girl and can do it* card ;) It's all about practice and knowing the balance of the bike. I would ride it up, but I've seen too many people screw that up. And, when that's screwed up, it's a really bad day.

I really like my tractor supply wire mesh trailer. It has a rampgate and it does not ride that tall so the angle is very low, very easy to ride or push up. I think the trailer only weighs about 300 pounds. I found it on craigslist for around $400.

Back