• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

chain cleaning...

Reaction score
(1) How do you clean your chain after a difficult day riding on dirt? And what lube do you use?

(2) My KDX came with plastic tape on the frame to prevent scratching by MotoX boots. It seems to work really well. One side of the frame has the tape, and there're no scratches at all. The other side doesn't have the tape, and it's all scratched up and starting to rust. Where do I buy such tape?

(3) I tried to buy the little rubber pad that the chain rides on. It sit just in front of the rear sprocket, and is held in place by two pieces of plastic. To my horror, I found out the OEM pad cost $30. Anyone tried to home-make one?

I get replacement chain guides from Rocky Mountain atv. Look up your bike model and see what that have available.

For chain lube, I use Amsoil MP. Doesn't sling off or cause a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using Liquid Wrench Chain Lube spray. The chain is full of crap after a ride. I need something that doesn't attract as much sand and dirt.

Well, it looks like the Rocky Mtn "rub block" only works with its chain guide. So I'd have to buy the whole shebang.
fre_07_cha_gui_blu.jpg

1. Scrub brush then spray down with WD-40 to remove water. I use what ever is available, no preferred lube/wax.

2. It's a dirt bike, it's going to be scratched and dinged up. It it concerns you, sand it, splash some paint on it and then cover with electrical tape or duct tape.

3. Rocky Mountain

I use the Dupont stuff after I get back from a ride. Usually by the time I'm ready to go out again the chain is dry enough not to attract crap to it. I never ever lube it right before a ride.

The manual for my XR says not to use a brush to clean the chain. Something about damaging the o-rings. So, I'm at a loss as to how to get the crap off. High pressure water at the car wash?

The manual for my XR says not to use a brush to clean the chain. Something about damaging the o-rings. So, I'm at a loss as to how to get the crap off. High pressure water at the car wash?

Never pressure wash the chain, carb, or way up under the tank. Use a nylon bristle brush on the chain if you have to. I haven't cleaned a dirt bike chain in several years and probably won't anytime soon. Mine just never come back looking dirty at all. If I don't wash the bikes after riding I usually don't even lube the chain, its more of a rust preventative than anything.

I can't imagine a nylon bristled brush with a mild solvent damaging an o-ring chain, particularly being used in the sides of the chain. Years ago, maybe 30 now, I recall Dirt Bike Mag testing a simple device. It was a small electric motor with a sprocket that you mounted on a stand or a wall and ran your dirty chain on(connected in one piece, like on the bike). The bottom of the chain loop passed into a bucket of NONVOLATILE solvent. As the motor turned the chain through the solvent, the sludge ran off into the bucket. It too an hour or so, bu they said it worked well. The only issue with this is the danger of a spark etc from the electric motor.

Best way to clean a motorcycle chain--ride the bike. I am with all the other guys on chain cleaning that simply don't, and my chain and sprockets last as long as anyone else I ride with.

O Ring chains only for me.

Back