• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Starter spins but does not engage engine

ncrtx

Reaction score
I need help. I have a 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200s. Yesterday morning I went to start it and it acted like the battery was dead. It tried to turn over a couple of times then just clicked. I tried to start it a second time and the starter sounds like it's spinning freely. It makes a whirring sound, but the engine does not turn over at all. I pushed started it yesterday and rode it for a few minutes. Afterwords, it tried to turn over when I tried to start it, then went back to making the whirring sound only. I bought a new battery this morning to rule that out. Installed the battery and same thing ... whirring sound only. The lights and gauges have worked the entire time. I can put the new battery on the trickle charger, but it's showing 12.8v on the meter right now. Any ideas?

starter clutch!! bolt has come loose or the rollers are jammed up.

I waz gonna say bendix unit but last post named it. Good luck with fix!

not a hard fix on the Bandit.with the alternator behind the cylinders instead of on the end of the crank. my GS tossed the rotor and the starter clutch is attached to it.

Back