• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

so discouraged...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
Just got back recently from Colorado. It rained on us everyday there. We only got a small break in New Mexico and it sprinkled and we rode between the heavy rain in front and to the east of us. But...............it beat the heck out of 100 degree Texas days. Had a good time. Riding 550 in the rain made it more exciting that normal but at a much slower pace than the sun would have allowed.

Check the forecast and try to ride further north in Colorado where the weather might be somewhat better. The Gunnison area is wonderful. Your real close to NM also and Utah. The BMW is a good selection for there.

There are so many good roads out that way that just about any one is a gold mine of curves.

Stay hydrated that is a important thing up there. Drink water or Gatorade and that will help a bunch.

Go to Serious Texas bar-B-que for lunch in Durango,that will make you fell better also. Real Texas sweet tea and good ribs.

Another idea for the next trip take another rider with you. Makes it a better in my opinion.

Last edited:
Ride over to Lake City and get some Heath bar ice cream at the San Juan Soda Co. Good ice cream can cure so many of the world's problems. :)

I'm sitting in northwest Colorado , I heard about ten rain drops on my roof last night , and about that many Sunday night a week ago . Been on one of my bikes every day for two weeks . Some fabulous trails and awesome roads with not another person in sight off road and pavement with only three pickups in 50 miles . I doubt I'll ever go to crowded Colorado again . I did get wet in Utah a week ago but Wednesday's ride over there and back on the Yampe rim trail was awesome . It's almost time to ride into town and let the locals feed me . SEYA

Last edited:
Ride the train to Silverton.

This will definitely change your attitude. Especially if you buy the cheap seats in the open cars. By the time you arrive at Silverton you will have a good case of black lung from the coal smoke or pneumonia from riding in the rain.

You will be relishing the good old days of motorcycling in Houston.
:rider:

Isn't August the rainy season in Colorado and Utah? Rode Utah a few years ago in late september and it was perfect.

Where is this?

Moffet county road 14 from US 40 at Elk Springs Colorado to the road to Harpers corner in dinosaur national monument . A side trip down to Echo park at the joining of the Yampe and Green river is a must . There were some stretches of real soft loose sand and some switchbacks and few up hills that were fairly tight but nothing I wouldn't have tried on the 950 a few years back . I was very happy to be on the Beta for this trip though . Its perfectly happy blasting thru the sand in fifth or sixth gear .

I have a Toyota Soloara, it is a comfortable convertible. At 62 I find it very enjoyable and when the heat gets to 90 I push a button and put the shade up! I think of selling a few of my bike until I ride them then I start hem hawing and then don't. I prefer my scooter in the heat and traffic. The big Zook puts off to much heat. I have had to drive in Houston this year, that ain't bad, Austin is some sucky traffic but I can use alternate routes that take a bit longer but I am moving. 6" so far in the last week, in August, on the Blackland Prairie, I well trade it for a rainy mountain view! Yep, you should get that convertible, too.

Sorry you are having a rough day of it, I hope it gets better soon.
Every time I go on a ride I remind myself (or I get reminded :trust:) of one of my favorite quotes.....
"No plan ever survives contact with the enemy."
Or of course, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"
Embrace the suck! Rub some dirt on it and find a way.

And then we can get down to the enjoyment of life and the trip and being good enough to overcome the challenges and coming out of the experience feeling great again.
Have a great time in Colorado, it's a really nice place.

I have hardly ridden this year. My poor Harley just collects dust and my XR is still in pieces. Family, work, weather, just life gets in the way. Keep the bike, maybe ou just need a break at this point. I am bummed by not riding, but I have to remember I can always ride again.

All,

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Back home in Sugar Land. YES, I did have a very fine ride around La Plata County, San Juan County (both NM and CO). The BMW GS 650 was a very fine mount. Lunch near Durango featured amazing mole chicken enchiladas. Tracked about 200 miles in five hours, including a bit of gentle off road on the Southern Ute nation near Ignacio. I rode all my high school favorites. Going back again in about a month. I highly recommend David at Mountain ADV in Durango for renting just about any kind of bike. He was a total professional dealing with my schedule change. Here are a few pix. Peeked at my Triumph and Moto Guzzi in garage here at home. They are like two waiting puppies to be walked. Fall will come, and hopefully some cooler and dry weather in TEXAS. Took some GoPro video near Purgatory: I will edit and post later...

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_3088_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_3088_1024.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 123
  • thumb_IMG_3089_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_3089_1024.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 118
  • thumb_IMG_3090_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_3090_1024.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 133
I know the feeling LucyDad. Except for commuting I haven't ridden a lot this year. seems every Pie Run is OBE, whether another event or weather. I think my last one was February when I rode to Aransas Pass and back in driving rain. Don't want to do that again.

Chin up old boy, any riding is good riding.

Glad you made it back to Texas again. I am getting really excited for our trip to Durango, just under 3 weeks away and then 10 days of playing in the mountains. Not hills, but real mountains, oh boy !!!

All,

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Back home in Sugar Land. YES, I did have a very fine ride around La Plata County, San Juan County (both NM and CO). The BMW GS 650 was a very fine mount. Lunch near Durango featured amazing mole chicken enchiladas. Tracked about 200 miles in five hours, including a bit of gentle off road on the Southern Ute nation near Ignacio. I rode all my high school favorites. Going back again in about a month. I highly recommend David at Mountain ADV in Durango for renting just about any kind of bike. He was a total professional dealing with my schedule change. Here are a few pix. Peeked at my Triumph and Moto Guzzi in garage here at home. They are like two waiting puppies to be walked. Fall will come, and hopefully some cooler and dry weather in TEXAS. Took some GoPro video near Purgatory: I will edit and post later...

Glad you moved forward with the ride.:clap:

Great that you are back up and atom!

Most folks don't comprehend those of us who "home" hits hard. Some of us need alternatives, such as your rental and ride. Works for you, and I can stop worrying. A lot cheaper than counseling therapy, too, and I expect many times more effective.

Maybe there should be a thread to which people can donate their effective alternatives to counseling. I buy a MegaMillions or Powerball ticket each drawing, whichever is a bigger payoff. I let God pick the numbers, and if ever He wants me to be wealthy, He will pick the right numbers. I figure how much daily gross will be from wise investing, and after paying taxes, allowing for inflation, etc., and then think about the empowering things I can provide for others who are hoeing a tough row. Those happy thoughts beat the heck out of counseling. At most, $4 a week, significantly cheaper and more effective than counseling. Thank you, Mary and LD, for teaching the power of happy thoughts, and how to use them to empower others.

So, don't feel guilty investing in pleasant rides. Enjoy! Allow your happy thoughts to empower others.

Glad you made it back to Texas again. I am getting really excited for our trip to Durango, just under 3 weeks away and then 10 days of playing in the mountains. Not hills, but real mountains, oh boy !!!

Mike, looks like an early fall in SW CO. There was snow on Engineer mountain last week. Bring some gear to stay warm and dry. A few aspens are turning. By the time you get there it will be full on fall. I also will return end of September.

Rocky Mountain high!

Wow that is crazy, I was wondering what the weather would be. My Klim gear should be good for most anything but I need some better gloves. All I have are hot weather stuff. Will be reaching out to you in a bit with some gps files for you to review. I bought the Garmin 24k topo map and boy am I glad i did, it shows a ton more detail and dirt roads that the North America map does. It even shows some dirt trails in red which appear to be hiking trails only.

We are there September 16th till the 26th in case you make it then, it would be great to connect...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we all have days or weeks like that. you will regret losing you motorcycle, remember, the bear story.... somedays you eat the bear, somedays the bear eats you. life, traffic,weather and people sometimes get in your way, just side step. take out the frustration in this or other forums and don't give up. did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Tell me again how the GERMANS bombed Pearl Harbor??
to the OP: I'm almost 73, still putting my Bandit through the paces. Mostly with the "gang", sometimes with my bride of 15 years and sometimes alone. Stationed in Bermuda it rained almost every day in the summer, got drenched, air dried and kept going. Hope riding works out for you.:rider:

Lucydad,
Let me encourage you. A month
ago I made a Bonzi truck pulling
M/C's trip with my buddy here in
Conroe. We left Montgomery, Tx
at 6am in the morning and arrived
in Alpine Colorado the next day
at 1am pulling our trailor with
bikes. We got caught in a speed
trap in Temple, Tx on the loop
around town after we got lost
looking for Hwy 36. Frustrated,