• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Does anybody have the 411 with moto auctions?

Reaction score
Good morning, TWT.

I have been searching for a new to me motorcycle(wr250x or klx250sf) and the ones that I have seen on CL are priced over market value, some waaay over. Being that I work in sales, I don't want to overpay for a motorcycle because of someone working their sentimental value into the price. This lead me to wondering if anybody here knows more info about motorcycle repo auctions, etc. Any info on this subject is greatly appreciated

Good morning, TWT.

I have been searching for a new to me motorcycle(wr250x or klx250sf) and the ones that I have seen on CL are priced over market value, some waaay over. Being that I work in sales, I don't want to overpay for a motorcycle because of someone working their sentimental value into the price. This lead me to wondering if anybody here knows more info about motorcycle repo auctions, etc. Any info on this subject is greatly appreciated

Being that I am not in sales, I never want to pay too much either. :lol2:

The few auctions that I have been to, that are open to the public, the bid prices were just as stupid as asking prices on CL. Most of them allow on line bidding too, and many are just on line auctions now. I don't have any other experience with auctions.

I do, however, have lots of experience buying used bikes. Since you are in Sales, you know everything is negotiable and the market ultimately determines the price, IF someone is really serious about selling something. I would be patient, expand your search to the widest areas possible, and you will find something in the market. Also, not sure what you are using to determine what is in the market and what is not, but on line pricing guides especially for really popular bikes are not always accurate.

Be ready to buy at a moments notice (have cash ready). You won't have time to hem haw around when you find a good deal. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks, John. To sum up the last few weeks, I have seen these bikes priced 1-2k+ over where they would typically sell. Those prices put you in used WR450 and similar territory(used but already converted).

My $0.02 is to skip motorcycle auctions and to also skip gun shows. Both of those places as of the past few years have been where to go if you want to pay higher than what you would pay from other sources.

Thanks, John. To sum up the last few weeks, I have seen these bikes priced 1-2k+ over where they would typically sell. Those prices put you in used WR450 and similar territory(used but already converted).

Understand. Are you in Texas? I didn't know that Kawasaki even imported a SM version of the KLX. The X version of the yamaha you see pop up for sale every now and then.

Which bikes are you looking for? Bikes like the wr450f are few .... Hence a price that may look high.

I'm mainly looking for a klx250sf or a wr250x. I'm not really interested in a larger supermoto since my fiance will be riding it as well

Here is a klx250sf with only 3K miles in Katy. Sounds like it is negotiable too. I say anywhere in the mid to upper 2K range would be a good price, just knowing what smaller Japanese street legal four strokes bring.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Kawasaki-KLX-250S-119315200

I checked that one out. Value is between 1800-2300. Retail is 2800. I'll pay retail if i can get proof that the bike has been serviced, bearings are lubed, carb is in tiptop shape, etc. Also, there is damage to the handle bars, front brake lever is bent and clutch is broken in half

California Scooter Company has tons of satisfied customers with the Zongshens built to CSC specs. This company is changing the mindset on Chinese bikes like Honda did for Japanese bikes in the 1960s. Great customer service.

Check out the TT250. Brand new bike in your price range.

EDIT: Johnf3 is right: On these hard-to-find deals be ready to go with cash in hand. First one there gets the deal. Try to catch advertisements when they first hit the electrons, like Craig's List and eBay and such, like when you get off work, get up on a weekend morning, whenever you've a second to peak. Call immediately and go. First one there gets the deal. I use this pattern often and sometimes get lucky enough to find a good deal on pretty much any consumer good.

Another Edit: I think enough of my RX3 and my experience with the folks at CSC that I'm seriously considering a RZ3 for my day rides. That's how good my experience has been with CSC and their products.

Last edited:
Back