• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Backpacks for riding

Reaction score
My 32-year old knapsack is finally starting to go. Need suggestions for a replacement. I don't need the hydration bladder but know some brands offer compartments for tools, etc. What brands and models does eveyone use? Thanks.

I use 2 and neither are cycle specific which I interpret as more expensive.

A High Sierra backpack from Ross and an Old Polo Sport backpack from Costco.
Used mostly on the commute to Dallas if I'm on the 919. It's comfortable enough for the 30min commute. The Polo Sport pack went with me to the Hill Country a couple years ago and it was fine for the ride.

Neither are waterproof.

I have an old Camelpak Mule I've used before.

I started using the Kriega back packs, it does have a place for a hydration pack,and theirs is the best,keeps water cool a long time, you are going to pay a lot more for them, but quality is the best. They have wide shoulder straps, and a waist strap that keeps it from bouncing on your back.

My fave, $8.95 on Amazon...
KGrHqEOKpIE3tOV4VbLBOErdCCWTg0_3.jpg

I started using the Kriega back packs, it does have a place for a hydration pack,and theirs is the best,keeps water cool a long time, you are going to pay a lot more for them, but quality is the best. They have wide shoulder straps, and a waist strap that keeps it from bouncing on your back.

What model Kriega's are you using? I'm looking for a better setup,than what I have now.

Blackhawk 3-day assault pack... but then again, mine was free ;)

Love my Kreiga as it keeps the water cold.
However I am about to switch to Geiger Gear packs.
The manual water pump seems to work well and you can wet down your face or whatever ekse needs cooling down.

I run just a regular old Jansport day pack. IMHO, you could go moto specific, but if price is a factor, go with a rep brand day pack. lashings at the bottom are great to tie extra stuff like rain gear or tent to if you so desire. Current model version of what I run is the odyssey (TVU6). Hip and chest snaps are a godsend as it keeps your staps from lifting in the wind and trying to suck off your back. I run mine with up to 25 lbs of gear inside.

Strap all your stuff to the bike and just wear a camelpack.. If you come off, hard objects in a backpack can make a real mess of your spine..!!

Gary

Strap all your stuff to the bike and just wear a camelpack.. If you come off, hard objects in a backpack can make a real mess of your spine..!!

Gary

Never thought of that, but true. Good thing I just strap down my loaded sack anyway.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Chrome Pawn rolltop. The main compartment is water-proof which makes it a good transport for a laptop.

I have to say I was really happy when I got a cargo net (now Rok straps) and got the backpack off my back and onto my back seat.

However, one of the things I love about the one MC specific backpacks is the lack of extraneous flapping straps. However that can easily be fixed by folding up any leftover, and securing the extra. My Camelbak bag has something like that built in, however you could use generic velcro cable ties, actual plastic zip ties, rubber bands, etc, just use your imagination.

I just use a regular backpack and it works just fine. The only motorcycle specific backpack that I would consider is the ones that will also hold the helmet.

What about a hard shell? What is the advantage there?

ogio no drag backpack, after three backpacks shredded with loss of contents on last one. gave in and bought it used it without incident for four years, no wear or tear. Very happy with it.:rider:

The Icon Squad II looks like it should be a good one.

Bought it and it's falling apart quick.

The straps across the chest really suck and are hot as ****.

The stitching is coming apart.

The reflective material is becoming dull.

I'm sending it back to Icon.

Non motorcycle specific Swiss Gear, high $ but seems to be holding up well so far.

Sam's has great pricing on these
The ones we bought from Sams were much smaller and fell apart within days of buying them, after stepping up and spending some $$ I've had no problems. I occasionally need to carry my laptop (17.3") for school and needed something it would fit in along with other books, shirt for work etc. Making the size and cash leap to something that will hold a large laptop was something I fought but now I'm happy I finally gave in.

Last edited:
The ones we bought from Sams were much smaller and fell apart within days of buying them, after stepping up and spending some $$ I've had no problems. I occasionally need to carry my laptop (17.3") for school and needed something it would fit in along with other books, shirt for work etc. Making the size and cash leap to something that will hold a large laptop was something I fought but now I'm happy I finally gave in.

I've had good luck with mine. Have a 17" as well, barely fits. Maybe just got lucky.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Back