• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Rider in Austin

Ocho

Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Hello everyone!

I moved to north Austin a little over a month ago and I shipped my wee Versys X300 (that I haven't been able to ride due to some driver's license issues -- fixing it soon).

Initially I bought the lightweight ADV bike to try out all kinds of terrains but I'm ashamed to admit it hasn't hit gravel/dirt yet (other than a gravel parking lot). I did ride around 2000 miles of precious Bay Area roads and met a lot of awesome fellow riders.

I'm pretty much a newbie and I'm looking for people around the area to show me around and maybe learn a thing or two on how to safely ride my bike (on roads and dirt).

I'm very safety conscious so I'm looking to keep expanding my skills on the road (looking for an intermediate course) and dirt. Let me know if you guys have any recommended trainings I should look into!

It looks like there's a lot of opportunity for more adventurous paths in this forum. I'm hoping I can join a newbie friendly one soon and start learning the ropes.

Here's pic tax:

XrTSvh5.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the adventure of TWT. Tells us a little about your Kawasaki. I looked a green one like that a month or two ago. Is this your first bike or did you have one before? KP

I have to admit I haven't hit the local dirt in a while, but hope to soon. I'm also on the north side of Austin (near Round Rock hospital).

Welcome to the area.

:welcome:

Dirt? There's a ton of mentors here who love to get dirty. Check out the Roll The Bones in Upcoming Events. :deal:

:welcome:

You come to the right place for responsible riders that are mostly into self preservation :mrgreen:

Welcome to the site, I like you clean bike.

Welcome, Ocho! That is a sweet ride you have there. Looks like farkling has already begun! Been thinking about going back to a dual sport myself. Goldwing just not getting any use. Some good riding down your way. Ride safe and enjoy!

Welcome to Austin! I've got a new to me KTM that needs some dirt practice too, I'm also in North Austin.

There's a weekly standing meeting at the Billy's on Burnet on Thursdays.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'll definitely try to join a ride or one of the meetings and meet more local riders that can share their knowledge about the area.

Hey Ocho. Welcome to Austin. When I was hunting for dirt roads and such I didn't find much in Travis County. But east towards Lexington, and northwest around Burnet and the north end of Buchanan Lake had a fair sampling.

I look for them lately more for gravel grinding than getting the motorbike off asphalt, but what better way to hunt less traveled roads than motorbikes?

I'm in northwest Austin, but I've not met up for any group rides in a while. I'm up for an excuse to put on a few non commuting miles.

By the way, if you have to get downtown, parking is free for two wheelers which makes for a huge advantage to ride into town if you must go there.

Hey Ocho. Welcome to Austin. When I was hunting for dirt roads and such I didn't find much in Travis County. But east towards Lexington, and northwest around Burnet and the north end of Buchanan Lake had a fair sampling.

I look for them lately more for gravel grinding than getting the motorbike off asphalt, but what better way to hunt less traveled roads than motorbikes?

I'm in northwest Austin, but I've not met up for any group rides in a while. I'm up for an excuse to put on a few non commuting miles.

By the way, if you have to get downtown, parking is free for two wheelers which makes for a huge advantage to ride into town if you must go there.

I was wondering if all the motos here (I work downtown) paid for parking. That answers my question, thanks.

If you have a cool route we could run, I'd join. Just may be a little slow.

Welcome along, there's a bunch of really good folks here.
Thanks for the bike pic too, I haven't seen one of those yet, looks great.
Are the bags standard or after-market?

Welcome along, there's a bunch of really good folks here.
Thanks for the bike pic too, I haven't seen one of those yet, looks great.
Are the bags standard or after-market?

Thanks!

Aftermarket: Shad cases. Terrible customer support, but the bags ended fitting the bike pretty well imo.

Welcome Ocho. I'm in Austin as well and always up for riding around. Nice bike, only recommendation would be to swap to some dual sport tires before hitting the loose stuff. Ask around for recommendations. I went from TKC80's to Shinko 705's and don't regret anything. Great for paved commutes and good enough for light gravel and dirt roads. I paid just over $100 for the pair, and another $90 for Cuznbob to install them.

Welcome Ocho. I'm in Austin as well and always up for riding around. Nice bike, only recommendation would be to swap to some dual sport tires before hitting the loose stuff. Ask around for recommendations. I went from TKC80's to Shinko 705's and don't regret anything. Great for paved commutes and good enough for light gravel and dirt roads. I paid just over $100 for the pair, and another $90 for Cuznbob to install them.

Thanks! I actually just ordered a set of Mitas E-07s, should get them next week. I live near Cuznbob so I'll give em a call to get them on the bike as well.

Where’s the free parking? The wife moves to Austin every other year for the legislative session. I ride up to see her and have always paid the meters downtown. I’d say within 3 blocks of the capital if that’s downtown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on. Fyi, Cuznbob is closed until around Sept 11th while he's out on tour. He should post in his thread in the Vender sub once the shop reopens.

Where’s the free parking? The wife moves to Austin every other year for the legislative session. I ride up to see her and have always paid the meters downtown. I’d say within 3 blocks of the capital if that’s downtown

Any metered spot owned by the CITY is fair game. The STATE-owned spots right around the Capitol are not fair game, to my knowledge. Any other metered city space is free; they prefer that you back in on the line between two spots.

Now that’s good info, thanks!

I coulda used all that change to buy lottery tickets and may have won the mega millions. Instead, the meter maid just laughed at me and knew I wasn’t a local!

Back