• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy from San Antonio !!!

Reaction score
Well, where do I begin?

In first grade my teacher took turns taking 4 kids at a time to her home on a farm somewhere outside of San Antonio for an overnight field trip. One of the things we got to do on our stay there was to get a ride on the back of her husbands motorcycle. It was a quick ride just up the block and back..........But that's all it took.

I knew I was meant to own a bike when I saw the red '82 GPZ-550 on display at a Kawasaki dealer here in San Antonio. I was a freshman at Robert E. Lee High School and the $2200 they wanted might as well have been a million bucks.

I bought my first motorcycle in 1986. A '74 Honda CB-360. I kept it in my friends garage up the street and rode it for almost a year before my parents found out I had a bike. My mom was not amused.......:eek2:

It's been downhill from there.

Next was an old KZ-400.

Then an '81 or '82 Virago 920. My first taste of POWER!!! I still miss that bike.

My first "nice" bike (that I paid more than $600 for :rofl: ) was a red 1990 Honda Pacific Coast PC800. My wife and I put a lot of miles on that one.

Got out of motorcycling for about 3 years, still don't know why.

Then I found a super clean garage kept '82 or '83 Honda V45 Sabre 750. Within a year I wanted something bigger.

Then the Goldwings came into my life.

A 1984 GL1200A Aspencade. (I had kids now) I bought my son his first helmet when he turned 4 years old.

Next up was a 1997 Triumph Tiger. I didn't ride it very much. It just wasn't the right bike for me.

Another Goldwing. From an estate sale. I got an almost new '94 GL1500 Interstate with only 4,000 miles on it. My son was happy again and in a bigger helmet that matched mine. My daughter now had a "hand me down" helmet. She didn't care, as long as Daddy took her for rides on the "big motorcycle with a radio"!!!

Some dreams just never go away.
Like your dream bike.
The first one you ever lusted for.
You know what I mean.

2001 ZRX1200R
The GPZ I never owned was back in my life.
In a BIG way. I had a blast for a year and a half. But, I missed riding with the kids. They rode with me on the ZRX, but never very far. They (and I) felt more secure with them on the Goldwings. With passenger armrests and a riders backrest, even if they fell asleep, they would stay safely on the back of the bike.

Now I own a 2003 Goldwing GL1800. It's really REALLY fast and I can't believe how quick and great this thing handles. It's more like a sport tourer than a highway hauler.

I'm having a great time riding two up and the kids are always ready to go. Only problem is, I can only take one of them at a time. I hope and pray that a side car is NOT in my future. It would solve a lot of problems with the kids fighting over who gets to ride with Dad. But then Dad wouldn't want to ride much anymore. If you can't lean into the turns, it just wouldn't seem like riding.

Thanks for listening to me go on and on. I think I'm gonna hang out here. Budzrex (I met from the ZRXOA) told me about this place and he said ya'll were OK.

That's good enough for me.

Craig
:thumb:

My 9 year old son and I riding the Texas hill country last fall.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 100
We're getting a big group of ZRXOA members here now :) Welcome to the club Craig

Welcome to the site! :wave:

In first grade my teacher took turns taking 4 kids at a time to her home on a farm somewhere outside of San Antonio for an overnight field trip. One of the things we got to do on our stay there was to get a ride on the back of her husbands motorcycle. It was a quick ride just up the block and back..........But that's all it took.

Can you imagine this scenario in ANY school ANYWHERE in our country now? :lol2: That teacher would be accused of so many legal issues it would take years to sort them all out! Taking kids to stay overnight on a farm... Endangering their lives... Why couldn't I have had a first grade teacher like that!? Mine just kept whacking the crap outta my knuckles with her yardstick! :huh2: I am sure I learned something from the experience, but what it might have been escapes me at the moment :ponder:

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Can you imagine this scenario in ANY school ANYWHERE in our country now? :lol2: That teacher would be accused of so many legal issues it would take years to sort them all out! Taking kids to stay overnight on a farm... Endangering their lives... Why couldn't I have had a first grade teacher like that!? Mine just kept whacking the crap outta my knuckles with her yardstick! :huh2: I am sure I learned something from the experience, but what it might have been escapes me at the moment :ponder:

Yup, I thought the same thing as I was typing it. Pretty sad. He did make us put on a loose fitting open face helmet. I think it was blue glitter colored, like a speed boat. My 2nd grade teacher was the one that whacked our knuckles. She even broke a ruler on me and my best friend at the time.

Man, I should look her up and find out what kind of bike it was. That was 1973 !!! I have no idea how old she was. Late 20's I think, she could be 60 by now. That same night I slept in my first waterbed and played "Pachinko?". Overall, a pretty powerfull memory/experience to have sculpted my life the way it did.

Thank you Mrs. Vretis.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I think Pachinko hit its boom in the US in 1973:rofl: I laugh only
because about that same time my dad came home with the
find of the century in family entertainmet a Pachinko machine

It lasted forever as a matter of fact my daughter played with
it and when she outgrew its charm we donated it to a day care

Hey Scott you want possible school litigation? try this on
during drivers ed our instructor was having a home built
he would routinely have us drop him off at the job site
and let us just drive around and come back and get him in
an hour:eek2: He also bought us a sixpack on one of the
last days of class to celebrate passing and to make sure
we could drive under the influence because he knew we
would as soon as we were out of site. Could you see the
media frenzy today over that:lol2:

Hmmm... we had a Pachinko machine in the 1970's also. It did not last too many years, though, as my brother and I took it apart to investigate how it all worked.

The blue glitter open face helmet also brings back memories. I had one of those in the mid 1970's that I used riding my Honda SL100.

I lived in San Antonio during the 1980's, and have fond memories of riding up around Canyon Lake and River Road in New Braunfels and such, and up to Fredericksburg, etc. Great riding up in the Hill Country.

I'm new to the TWT also, Craig. So, welcome from one Newbie to another.

Wyatt

:rider:

Gotta love those heavy flake metallic, ill fitting helmets. Its a wonder we didn't break our necks wearing those things :ponder:

Welcome Craig :wave:

I'm having a great time riding two up and the kids are always ready to go. Only problem is, I can only take one of them at a time. I hope and pray that a side car is NOT in my future. It would solve a lot of problems with the kids fighting over who gets to ride with Dad. But then Dad wouldn't want to ride much anymore. If you can't lean into the turns, it just wouldn't seem like riding.
Craig
:thumb:

Craig, Welcome to the site 1st off, next enjoy the one on one with your kids now. Sounds like you've got a pretty sweet set up with your kids.... Once they get "To Big" to ride with Dad your gonna miss it....

Welcome to the crowd Craig.

He did make us put on a loose fitting open face helmet. I think it was blue glitter colored, like a speed boat.

I had a red one like that when I got my first mini-bike in 1969. I remember riding it with that 3.5hp Tecumseh engine and feeling like I was Peter Fonda in "Easy Rider" :lol2:

Back