• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

I ran a Muzzy that did quite well for quite a few years. Yosh are nice but spendy. When I did the build on mine I went with the MRD SSW. I think it is the z comp? Or pro z now? Very nice over all but a tad loud. If mine wasn't all about big power I'd run the quiet core. On a normal DRZ the quiet core would be fine and in the same sound level as a Yosh. But cheaper.

For you E hackers, how did you get your brake light signal? I bought DRC edge tail light (it maybe the edge 2, cant remember) and I used their hydraulic banjo washer fitting
DRC Banjo
Similar to the one above, it would not fit in the tiny space between the reservoir and so had to do some creative trimming on external parts of it to cram it into the small space, and I guess a year and a half of riding killed it (no longer completing the circuit, and it wasnt from the trimming, as I had to grind the bolt head down). I am not real thrilled about the quality of the drc stuff based on my experience, since my edge lost 4 leds almost immediately after installation as well.

Does anyone have a better solution? I dont mind spending some money on the right parts but i kind of hate to blow it on crap that I have already experienced early failure on. Thanks!

For you E hackers, how did you get your brake light signal? I bought DRC edge tail light (it maybe the edge 2, cant remember) and I used their hydraulic banjo washer fitting
DRC Banjo
Similar to the one above, it would not fit in the tiny space between the reservoir and so had to do some creative trimming on external parts of it to cram it into the small space, and I guess a year and a half of riding killed it (no longer completing the circuit, and it wasnt from the trimming, as I had to grind the bolt head down). I am not real thrilled about the quality of the drc stuff based on my experience, since my edge lost 4 leds almost immediately after installation as well.

Does anyone have a better solution? I dont mind spending some money on the right parts but i kind of hate to blow it on crap that I have already experienced early failure on. Thanks!

For the front you really have only two choices, use a S/SM master cylinder and the OEM switch, or use the hydraulic banjo bolt switch. I feel your pain, I replace the one on my SuperHawk about once a year.

For the rear you can use the Banjo bolt hydraulic switch or MOD and rig up a pull switch. Mounting the pull switch can be entertaining but not overly difficult if your handing making such things, the other end by way of a spring attaches to the brake lever.

I now wish an FCR were the first thing I did to my DRZ. WOW! What a difference. Throttle response is so smooth and consistent. The only way I can describe it is it feels like going from a cheap Chinese bike to what a Japanese metric should be.

Cool. Mine had one on it when I bought it. I like the way my DR goes.

Tapatalk on a Note 2.

The link below is where I got my FCR MX 39. Rebuilt, jetted to my specs with boot and custom vent tubes. Substantially less than brand new.

http://www.keihin-fcr.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=55

I should do this; I think. My 2000 S model has been hesitating mid range throttle position and I can't sort it out. I'm planning a big trip next fall and will need a reliable setup. I could pay someone that much to fix it or just buy a better carb and go ride. :ponder:

I should do this; I think. My 2000 S model has been hesitating mid range throttle position and I can't sort it out. I'm planning a big trip next fall and will need a reliable setup. I could pay someone that much to fix it or just buy a better carb and go ride. :ponder:

I always had a problem between 6500 & 7000 with the OEM carb and 3X3 airbox mod.

Happy to hear your satisfied with that used "rebuilt" FCR... some before you have not been from that company... they have been known to sell used, worn out "rebuilt" carbs which amounted to a junk carb having some new parts throne at it.

Perhaps that was just a few "oops" and not a business plan... But considering their price point is not that far from a BRAND NEW modern FCR39MX jetted for the DRZ.... Not sure Id go for a used one myself, "Rebuilt" or not.

Happy to hear your satisfied with that used "rebuilt" FCR... some before you have not been from that company... they have been known to sell used, worn out "rebuilt" carbs which amounted to a junk carb having some new parts throne at it.

Perhaps that was just a few "oops" and not a business plan... But considering their price point is not that far from a BRAND NEW modern FCR39MX jetted for the DRZ.... Not sure Id go for a used one myself, "Rebuilt" or not.

$200 less is not exactly close to me. How long ago was it you heard of issues with this vendor? Recently? Maybe I am lucky, but I am thrilled so far!

$200 less is not exactly close to me. How long ago was it you heard of issues with this vendor? Recently? Maybe I am lucky, but I am thrilled so far!

It has been a while.. but honestly after several issues from different buyers,,, I stopped watching that company as a possible supplier to me or anyone I work with.

But heck ya, if its working for you.. that's GREAT :giveup:

As for pricing.. I guess it's opinion and perspective.

For me, used and "rebuilt" which can not include repairing the wear in the body itself for the slide, the shafts, ect.. so even if every replaceable part was replaced..it's still a used carb with reduced longevity and value.. TO ME..:giveup: To each his own.. Im not bashing anyone else s choices or decision and I think it's great the provided part is working well for you.

It has been a while.. but honestly after several issues from different buyers,,, I stopped watching that company as a possible supplier to me or anyone I work with.

But heck ya, if its working for you.. that's GREAT :giveup:

As for pricing.. I guess it's opinion and perspective.

For me, used and "rebuilt" which can not include repairing the wear in the body itself for the slide, the shafts, ect.. so even if every replaceable part was replaced..it's still a used carb with reduced longevity and value.. TO ME..:giveup: To each his own.. Im not bashing anyone else s choices or decision and I think it's great the provided part is working well for you.

I guess I will have to see how well it does over time.

I happen to have a cherry S/SM stock header if anyone needs it for cheap. I am looking for an E header or aftermarket header for an E if anyone knows where I can find one.

I had the DRZ out in the mountains in San Diego this weekend. I remember why I love it so much. Hopefully I can get out there for quite a few more rides this year.

We did 130 miles. 45 each way of awesomely wonderful corners. Another 40 up and down the sides of mountains. It was awesome to get out there and rip around with a bunch of bikes that had to get trailered in.

:sun:

I had the DRZ out in the mountains in San Diego this weekend. I remember why I love it so much. Hopefully I can get out there for quite a few more rides this year.

We did 130 miles. 45 each way of awesomely wonderful corners. Another 40 up and down the sides of mountains. It was awesome to get out there and rip around with a bunch of bikes that had to get trailered in.

:sun:

Where abouts did you get to ride? What area?

Where abouts did you get to ride? What area?

We rode out to Cleveland National Forest from Spring Valley. Up and own some mountains in and around Pine Valley. Some was in the OHV area and another bit was an area that showed as a road but certainly wasn't.

I miss mountains. :-(

Back