• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gravel Guy's son has his first bike, a 1978 CT90!

Need more updates !!!

Well, we've gotten through several stuck, broken and or rusty fasteners.par for the course but.......no real pretty pictures, if ya know what I mean! And, I've bought the rectifier for the upgrade that Sl350 mentioned...got a new battery....got the gas tank off today........so how long does the pinesol have to sit to dissolve the varnish? Didn't realize that the active ingredient is glycolic acid......so any advice? :sun:

No ideas on the tank really, get it as clean as you can and install an inline filter,gas it up and go!

GG, I am using vinegar to soak an extra sl350 tank but that is to get rust. You are trying to do the varnish thing.

For varnish I would probably use paint thinner or carb cleaner.

Mark. Hurry up before the summer is over!

:duck:

GG whats the update on this bike? Have not seen anything about it in a while. Mason out cow trailing on it yet or is it still a work in progress?

GG whats the update on this bike? Have not seen anything about it in a while. Mason out cow trailing on it yet or is it still a work in progress?
Still a work in progress. Going well now!
Need any help, GG?
I think I am good, but I won't hesitate to ask, if I need it......thanks for the links and the support!

Hope it cranks up soon...Good job.

Thanks much,
You all may recall that I lost my brother about one year ago and between that and my new job and kids activities I have had little free time to either wrench or ride....I still ride to work nearly every day and keep my vehicles up (with Rick M's help!), but EXTRA time has been few and far between.
However, the beer warehouse is better organized and my work commitment has backed off slightly so I sat down with Mason and we made a list and bought a bunch of new stuff for the CT90....new tires and tubes, a new carburetor, tuneup stuff, and are progressing with the rebuild, together! :sun:
Today we mounted the new front tire and tube, and used WD-40 and duct tape in the first 30 minutes! We had a blast! Mason learned about cotter pins and castellated nuts and being gentle with threads and rotation arrows and how mechanical brakes work and how to lubricate cables and why baby powder and motorcycles are sometimes used in the same sentence......it was a good day. RG, I am counting them each and every day!
:sun:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
OH YEAH!.... Mason N Mark'll hav that ol 90 up n runnin pretty soon I'll bet.

Mark.... Hav any of the extra parts I sent along helped at all??? I kno they weren't much.... but...

Tell him I did 100 miles in Big Bend trails a few weeks ago with a bike just like that one. Go team, go.

Here is a link to his first ride, round our circle drive in the woods. Keep in mind that he is in low range, low gear, but later we rode a couple of miles to a friends house and back! Happy Daddy! Happy Boy!

https://youtu.be/wWEgEPLWiVc
:sun:

Last edited:
:clap: This is so COOL! How did I miss this thread???

Way to go Mason! :thumb: I remember loading my first bike in the back of dad's truck and wanting to ride in the back with it on the way home. NO, my dad would not let me. :roll: They just don't understand. But I rode it everywhere I went for the next 4 years.

:rider: Wishing you many happy miles! :clap:

Sam & Shirley

OH YEAH!.... Mason N Mark'll hav that ol 90 up n runnin pretty soon I'll bet.

Mark.... Hav any of the extra parts I sent along helped at all??? I kno they weren't much.... but...

Rod, I am thankful for your extra parts....they did help us get it going, and will help down the road, too.
Unbeknownst to mom, we headed out for about 10 miles down the nearby county roads and got her into 4 th gear in low range! So I'm following my boy, who is twelve and riding a 36 yr old bike with 1982 license plates and inspection and the mud puddles don't phase him at all, nor do the long creeky gravel bars and and loose stuff near the berm.......makes a man thankful to be alive.....train in my own little riding buddy! :tears: :sun:

Wish Ida had a more moto centric family when I was growin up.... We only got to ride the minibike out at my cousins farm in Otto when vistin them.... livin in town in Marlin had its limitations.
When we movd ta Waco...a. kid near my age down the street had a Kawa 80 or 90cc 2stroke which he would run up n down the street.... Rickyracer with low bars & modded muffler... oooohhh.... coool

Back