• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of creating an old Brit Cafe bike.

wabbit said:
Thruxton is cool, but a little underpowered for my tastes.

Silly wabbit, that's what TypeR stickers are for!

Unfortunately I know NOTHING about restoration or even much other than basic maintenance... (pathetic huh?). So... I'd just go out and get me one of these if I had the cash. I still think it's the most beautiful bike on the planet.

ducati_mh900e_01_800.jpg

Re: modern tribute to Cafe bikes.

wabbit said:
Heres my photoshopped idea.
cafe1.jpg

Yummy.

But you forgot the pod filters. ;) I'd like to see the headlight lower, but then the instruments REALLY stick out. Perhaps a TBS front fender? Maybe a red or black swingarm? How 'bout some fork gaiters while I'm prattling?

--Chris

Re: modern tribute to Cafe bikes.

I was thinking of a black swing arm. Red pinstripe on the wheels.

I'm not a big fan of fork gators though. I think that will be too retro for me. I did change the lower fork tubes to black rather than the stock silver.

I hope it gets real cold this winter. If it does I'll get started.

You have come a long way from making over an old Bonnie. I really am beginning to believe what RogerAtx says. After seeing the restored bikes at the Harvest show, don't believe I would be able to honor the old iron. And newer models get ridden more/worked on less.

wabbit said:
The biggest issue will be making the seat cowl and possibly cutting some of the rear frame.
I've been wanting to do this on the Tiger. Can't tell if its better to buy plastic from another model and make it fit, or fab with fiberglass. What are you thinking of doing?

wabbit said:
Now my question is do I start now and loose the fairing for longer trips, or wait until I can buy another bike for long distance?
Fairings are just silly. Put a faceshield on your helmet. Start stripping that bad boy.

I am going to fiberglass the tail section. I am pretty confident that I can do it. I am going to add in a hump to the middle of the tail section to follow the lines off of the gas tank.

If it gets cold enough to stop me from riding this winter I will begin taking apart the front end.

Assuming the FZ runs a bolt on rear subframe, you might be better off fabbing a new one rather than cutting the one you have. That way it's that much easier to go back to stock if you someday want to sell it any nobody else likes your bike enough to buy it.

You might want to take a look at the brackets Suzuki uses to mount the guages and headlight to the naked SV. Finally looked at them the other day and was surprised how simple and obvious the idea was. Fabbing a set like these would be yet another way to get your front mounting points without preventing you from going back to stock later.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/files/details/d_3531.jpg

I sent your photo on to a couple of friends. Here are some thoughts from one of them.

I think that is starting to look great.
Here are some unsolicited thoughts:
 add some bar-end mirrors - there is a high quality aluminum brand that I can't recall, (He’s talking about the CRG pieces)
 I like the exhaust but would hope he would put one on each side (4 into 2) and lower the angle just a bit to echo the frame tube just above it
 instead of the OEM airbox, is there anyway to go with 4 small K&N filters? Small velocity stacks would be the ultimate look but detrimental to the life of the motor...
 Assume that is an OEM tank and he will use a tankbag for some trips?
 the round headlight with no fairing is perfect! is there a way to get a slightly larger diameter light and set it closer in and lower (like the new Ducati Sport 1000?) I always liked the way the headlight looked on a '78 R100/7, wonder what that would be like? it would have the flatter lens, but would also have a flatter back and allow a tighter mount to the forks
This is a great concept and he's obviously put a lot of thought into it; I would love to see photos of the finished product!

Paul,

I will incorporate most of thos ideas.

I have already thought of the hindsight bar end mirrors. They are small and black anodized with red anodized hinges.

The 4 into 2 exhaust would be awesome and expensive. We'll see what the budget allows. I may have to get custom cans anyway to get the look I want. I'll have to talk to some exhaust people about backpressure and all that jazz.

I am either going to go with a standard 7" headlight or a set of dual lights like on your mastiff. I've seen an FZ1 with a larger light and it just didnt look right.

Definately pod filters for old school *** kicking.

And yes that is the oem tank. I dont want to mess with it because the base is funny shaped and complicated. Its also nice because it is metal so I can use a tank bag.

From the response I've gotten I better get to work. First step is to aquire headlight and guage mounting bracket. If I have all the parts I should be able to remove the fairing over a couple weekends.

I'm going to have to do some measurements on the back and take the plastic off to see just what I am dealing with back there.

The 82-83 Suzuki GS1100E uses a 9 inch diameter headlight. It's friggin huge. Looks like a locomotive!

Cool idea but it ain't Ton Up. Ton Up is a vintage thang. If it was an old Triumph or Beez or even an old SOHC Honda, that's Ton Up.

What you got there is a streetfighter. Cool but not Ton Up cool.

Your photoshop reminds me of what these guys have been putting together:

http://www.acmerocketbike.com/main.html

They're taking modern sportbikes and going for that classic "cafe" look. I seem to recall that their Ducati was featured in one of the moto-mags (Cycleworld, I think) a couple of years ago. Good luck with your project.

If you are near Austin, there is a group "Austin Roadrunners" that meet first Sunday of the month at Ski Shores around 2:00pm. Went out today to see what the guys are riding and hear war stories of restoring these old bikes.

Just a few older bikes today, but about 12 bikes. Good group of guys, good bit of experience in the bunch. If your kicking around the idea of restoring some of this old iron, and are near Austin, might want to check these guys out.

http://www.austinroadrunners.com/

jeffie foo-foo said:
Cool idea but it ain't Ton Up. Ton Up is a vintage thang. If it was an old Triumph or Beez or even an old SOHC Honda, that's Ton Up.

What you got there is a streetfighter. Cool but not Ton Up cool.

I had a date last night with a fellow from DFW area who has a Triumph Vintage bike and sometimes brings his bike to Triumph shows for display. He doesn't ride it on the street though; I guess he has a fear of the bike being damaged.

Back