• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW to Denver via DS

Reaction score
Hello, all. I'm looking into a week-long DS ride from DFW to Denver, then south through CO and NM before turning east. While the idea sounds novel, it appears the route from North Texas to the Colorado border is largely devoid of proper dual sport roads. Each partially paved/gravel/dirt path inevitably leads to a dead end, private property, or both. And while I recoil slightly at the idea of trailering, I'm not sure we have many options.

Is anyone familiar with the roads of North TX and the panhandle? Obviously CO and NM offer hundreds of miles of pristine DS routes, but Texas' lack of public lands make this proposed journey highly reliant on slab. So I turn to TWT for feedback, options, or the voice of reason.

Thanks...

WFO > Ruidoso or Cloudcroft, NM by trailer

1-day out, 1-day back

there is nothing between your point of origin & the NM border worthy of the amount of time it would take, to get there and back, on a DS

a good motel or commercial camp ground should allow you to leave your rig for a week, with the price of 2 nights lodging

a fresh/rested start & comfortable return drive make the trailer method desirable

leaves you 7-days, assuming you leave on Sat & return on the following Sun, to enjoy some really stellar routes

there WILL be many suggested routes and they are ALL WORTHY

enjoy your adventure

sw

Another idea, depending on your time/mileage constraints: go north into Oklahoma, pick up the Oklahoma Adventure Trail. Ride it north/west until you hit the TAT-TransAmerica Trail. Take the TAT west through OK into NM and CO. This would get you onto dirt roads in OK. Of course, the added time and distance might not work for you.

Another idea, depending on your time/mileage constraints: go north into Oklahoma, pick up the Oklahoma Adventure Trail. Ride it north/west until you hit the TAT-TransAmerica Trail. Take the TAT west through OK into NM and CO. This would get you onto dirt roads in OK. Of course, the added time and distance might not work for you.

What he said. Or what Steve said. Depends on your true desires. There may even be ways to get to the TAT on dirt from close to the metroplex.

I have to agree with Swoody. Not much between here (FTW) and there. This past August, my riding buddy and I loaded our KLRs into his pickup (8 foot bed) and headed to Golden Gate State Park near Golden, CO. We left on Sunday, went up through Amarillo, Raton Pass, Trinidad, and Pueblo. We made it there in one day and in time to set up camp. Then 4 great days of riding the Switzerland Trail, Magnolia East and West trails, Sugar Loaf mountain trails, Rollins Pass, up through Nederland and the Gross Dam area, etc. We were well rested for the riding and the drive home was much less exhausting. I high suggest this.

I will say that the Oklahoma/TAT route sounds very interesting., and I might look into that myself. Something to look at for sure if you want to ride the whole way. Either way, I hope you have a great trip.

By the way , when are you going and what are you riding?

Ride safe, Dave

Thanks for the feedback. My wife has family in Taos, so we have ready access to a base camp. Trailering from DFW is the best plan.

I'm riding a DR650, but my friend has a DRZ-400SM with off-road tires, so anything more aggressive than mild singletrack is out of the question (17" wheels and downed trees make a bad combination). He's investigating a 19" front wheel, which would help tremendously but still keep us off the more challenging stuff.

Thanks again

You could just ride the Oklahoma Adventure Trail. It is about a week long. Comes across the Okla. just north of the Red River.

Otherwise, trailer to New Mexico and ride. Getting cold and snowy up in those big mountains though.

Oh, yeah, this is a late spring/early summer 2015 ride.

Trailing to Taos makes sense, and allows me to lace up the DR with off-road rubber.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back