• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sierra Madre Oriental

Reaction score
I've spent quite a bit of time planning a (solo) trip to ride the Sierra Madre Oriental in Mexico. The full duration of the trip is likely going to be around 12 days, with a departure date in late May. So far, I have about ten days planned out, so I have time to add a day here or there (spontaneously, if I feel like it). I'm currently leaning towards spending an extra day to venture into Veracruz on the East side of the Sierra Madre to explore some of the roads to the North and West of Tuxpan.

Any suggestions/recommendations about roads to take/avoid and sites to see are appreciated. Please note that I'm going to be on a C-14, which does not like being off-pavement, so I'm a bit restricted regarding the roads that I can travel.

Also, the usual warnings regarding my mental state about travel in Mexico are appreciated, but not necessary. :giveup: I'm reasonably well-traveled in Mexico on four wheels, and have spent an exhaustive amount of time looking into the security situation in those areas, and feel comfortable about my destinations, including the excursions in Tamaulipas. :)

Thanks also to tricepilot, who was involved with the planning of an earlier version of this itinerary.

Tentative Itinerary:

Day 1: DFW Metromess → Laredo, TX
Route: South on TX-121 → South on I-35W → Laredo.
Distance: 426 miles (6 hours)

Day 2: Laredo, TX → Galeana, Nuevo Leon
Route: Mex 85 South → Mex 40D SW toward Saltillo → Mex 57/57D South → Mex 58 East → Galeana.
Distance: 282 miles (5 hours)

Day 3: Galeana, Nuevo Leon → Ciudad Mante, Tamaulipas
Route: South on NL 61 → East/South on NL 120 → Tamaulipas → South on Mex 101 → East on Estatal 66/Tam 66 → Ciudad Mante.
Distance: 224 miles (4.5 hours)

Day 4: Ciudad Mante, Tamaulipas → Xilitla, San Luis Potosi
Route: South on Mex 85 → East on Mex 80 past Ciudad del Maiz → South on SLP 8 past Rayon → Southeast on QRO 190 → East on Mex 120 → Xilitla
Distance: 259 miles (6 hours)

Day 5: Xilitla, San Luis Potosi → Tamazunchale, San Luis Potosi
Route: Northeast on Mex 120 → Southeast on Mex 85 → pass Tamazunchale → Southeast on Mex 102 → Southwest on Mex 105 to Metztitlan → North on HGO 37 → Northeast on Mex 85 → Tamazunchale.
Distance: 270 miles (7.5 hours)

Day 6: Tamazunchale, San Luis Potosi → San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato
Route: Southwest on Mex 85 → West on Mex 45 past San Juan del Rio → Northwest on Mex 57D → Northwest on Mex 111 → San Miguel de Allende.
Distance: 241 miles (5 hours)

Day 7: San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato → Real de Catorce, San Luis Potosi
Route: West/Northwest on GTO 67 → Northeast on Mex 110 past Guanajuato and Dolores Hidalgo → North on Mex 57/57D past Santa Maria del Rio and San Luis Potosi → Continue North on Mex 57/57D past Matehuala → Northwest on Mex 62 → South to Real de Catorce.
Distance: 329 miles (7 hours)

Day 8: Real de Catorce, San Luis Potosi → Santander Jimenez, Tamaulipas
Route: North to Mex 62 → Southeast on Mex 62 → Northeast on Mex 57/57D past San Jose de Raices → East on Mex 58 to Linares → South on NL 22 → Northeast, then southeast on TAM 89 → Santander Jimenez.
Distance: 326 miles (7 hours)

Day 9: Santander Jimenez, Tamaulipas → Edinburg, TX
Route: North on Mex 101 → Northwest past Cruillas and Burgos, toward General Teran → North towards Los Ramones → Northeast on Mex 40D to Reynosa → North on I-69C to Edinburg.
Distance: 295 miles (6 hours)

Day 10: Edinburg, TX → DFW Metromess
Route: North on US-281 → North on I-37 → North on I-410 around San Antonio → North on I-35 → Metromess.
Distance: 493 miles (7.5 hours)

Don't miss THIS just north of Xilitla, near Aquismon

Largest of it's kind in the world, and worth the hike to get to it. Ask anyone in Aquismon where to find it

Note: The site manager will lower you for free the entire depth to the bottom (the hole could contain the Empire State Building). However, it's $2,500 U.S. to be hauled back up to the top :sun:

The cave is definitely being added to the to-do list. Looks like that might eat up a solid half-day already. Any other do-not-miss sights?

Roger that. That might also serve as a useful excuse to take a day to check out the Reserva de la Biosfera Sierra Gorda.

Don't miss THIS just north of Xilitla, near Aquismon

Largest of it's kind in the world, and worth the hike to get to it. Ask anyone in Aquismon where to find it

Note: The site manager will lower you for free the entire depth to the bottom (the hole could contain the Empire State Building). However, it's $2,500 U.S. to be hauled back up to the top :sun:

Hey Thomas, I can't believe I rode so close by the cave of swallows on the way to xilitla, this is a must do whenever we do dual sport in Mexico next year, we can easily get there via off-road thru Aquismon near the main hwy between cuidad valles and xilitla, so what enduro bike you considering?

Hey Thomas, I can't believe I rode so close by the cave of swallows on the way to xilitla, this is a must do whenever we do dual sport in Mexico next year, we can easily get there via off-road thru Aquismon near the main hwy between cuidad valles and xilitla, so what enduro bike you considering?

While there is a walking hike to get to the hole from parking , there's nothing off road about getting from Aquismon to the Sotano. All paved. Be aware that the last bit of road is paved with tile, and can be slick in the rain. Was there last week.

Just got back two days ago. Amazing trip--complete ride report coming in a few days.

Looking forward to the report, been following spot when I can get it to work :giveup:
Welcome back.....now start planning another :lol2:

Back