• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado. late July/August

As you head for Durango, the typical "Texas pilgrim" route is NW from Amarillo to Raton & into Colorado, then west across US 160. It's a beautiful drive, and not difficult pulling a trailer. It is, however, a bit slow. First, because you're going to lug your trailer up three passes - Raton, La Veta and Wolf Creek. Second, because it is mostly two-lane road and on many summer days has heavy RV traffic.

A less scenic, but more expedient way of getting to Durango is to go all the way west to Albuquerque, then cut NW and come into Durango from the south. It's actually scenic - just desert scenic instead of pine-tree scenic. You probably won't experience much traffic until you get north of Farmington. If you're traveling on the weekend or moreover, a holiday weekend, I'd advise the Albuquerque route to stay out of the RV train. But either way will get you there just fine and each route has its charms.

There are dozens of motels in Durango, not one of which I've ever stayed in, so I'll let others give suggestions on that front.

Here is a thread you might find interesting. Some of the stuff in here is were you will be. What is your route to Colorado? Northern New Mexico is very scenic also! If your wife likes to take pictures when you two travel there will be plenty of opportunities in NM and CO. IF you get to Ouray check out the waterfall. Make sure you have plenty of memory on your camera cards or pick up a new one just for the trip. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86089

Last edited:
You can't see Mesa Verde in 1 day. Just saying.

Siesta Motel. Locally owned, inexpensive, clean, playground area, BBQ pit. Located on 550 on the north side of Durango so you can ride the free shuttle to the train and don't have to worry about parking. If you ride the train, sit on the right side going to Silverton-better view. There is a van ride back if you don't want to ride the train both ways.

HR is correct. Sit in the open gondolas, and sit on right toward Silverton. Most people ride the bus back because, after three hours of wind, sun, and eating cinders, they're pretty whipped. Wear glasses or sunglasses. Just trust me.

Also - I don't know how to tell you where to spot it - about halfway. But the train will make a sharp curve to the right & cross a trestle. As the engine hits the trestle, he'll blow steam. Have your camera ready; that's the money shot. The #2 money shot will be when you're high on a cliffside. Big curve to the right and you can watch the cars & engine ahead of you as they make the curve.

I have a house on the back side of Pike's Peak. It is on Hwy67...half way between Divide & Cripple Creek. It looks like you are wanting to work mainly in the SW corner of the state, but if you decide to work the center...let me know. I am always looking for a reason to go riding. From my place it is about 225 miles to Aspen, or Gunnison, or Breckenridge, a little farther to Estes Park. I have ridden them all as day trips (except Estes Park...stayed over there). It makes for a long day...but still great rides. If the schedules work out...you are welcome to base out of my place anytime. If you want to ride dual-sport...there are literally hundreds of trails within 30 minutes of the house. Great riding also.

I'll prob be there, used to live in Denver, Now in Houston, I have friends in Denver area as well as Buena Vista Colo and will be visiting them for a few days. Maybe we could hook up and do some riding, after reading so far, I figure we (Tshelf) and Ihave been over many of the same roads and camped at many of the same places, all good choices. Best of luck in your journey and Hope to possibly see you there.
cheers
Ran

What a great Thread! I'm drooling as I read. I first visited Colorado in 1955 when I was eight. A truly magically place for a person raised in the hot flatland of West Texas. Maybe this summer I will be there again.

:tab I know that if the wife has "decided" then it is probably too late to toss my 2 cents in the hat. However, I agree with jfink. I used to run tour groups in that area and we stayed in Montrose each time. The hotels are much cheaper. The restaurants are cheaper. It is ideally located to do at least four different loops that run about 300-350 miles per day. Each loop is different in terms of scenery, but all are great riding.

:tab We usually stayed on the East end of Montrose at the Best Western Red Arrow. It is on US 50. Very bike friendly. Room for trailer parking. Nice rooms. Pool and hot tub. Several good restaurants in close walking distance (liquor store as well if you like). A HonYamSuz and few other things dealer a few blocks away. Rates were always very reasonable.

:tab Jfinks' map shows most of the loops.

1. Montrose --> Durango --> Cortez --> Telluride --> Ridgway --> Montrose

Includes run down US 550 - The Million Dollar Highway
Can see the Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings
Lizzard Head Pass going up to Telluride
Great view of the San Juans as you cut back over to Ridgway

2. Montrose --> Ridgway --> Placerville --> Naturita --> Gateway --> Grand J --> Montrose

This has the great run up to Gateway on 145.
Can get lunch in Grand J, then do the Colorado Nat Mon.
If you are ready to quit for the day, head back down 50 to Montrose
If you want more, head West from GJ to Hwy 65 for run over Grand Mesa.

3. Montrose --> Lake City --> Creede --> backtrack to Montrose

See the Black Canyon of the Gunnison
See the Cimmaron Railroad museum
Make excellent run down to Creede over Slumgullion Pass
See headwaters of the Rio Grande river
Lunch at Poker Alice's in Lake City

4. Montrose --> Blue Mesa Reservoir --> Hotchkiss --> Glennwood Springs --> Grand Mesa --> Montrose

Run Hwy 92 up the Northside of Black Canyon
Run up over Mc Clure Pass on 133
Visit Glennwood Springs
Run Grand Mesa (never had anyone gripe about doing it twice :-P)

:tab All four of those routes are fantastic riding and scenery. If your bikes can do at least 100 miles on a tank of gas, you should be fine. When I ran the tours, we would start at 9:00am and usually be back to the hotel in Montrose by 6:00pm-ish. That included stops for pictures, lunch, gas. It usually did NOT include long stops for sight seeing (like more than 10-15 minutes).

:tab I was just out there at the end of April and rode Hwy 145 up to Gateway, the Colorado Nat Monument, and 550 between Ridgway and Durango. There was still a LOT of snow on the ground at high elevations. It was very pretty. However, the ice and sand on 550 was a bit puckering... That won't be a problem when you are looking to go.

:tab I would only stay in Durango if you will be doing more sightseeing off the bike, like riding the train to Silverton.

IMG_7509_zpsc36bb7b7.jpg

Yep...that's one photo you have to get.

IMG_1973_zps5dd69abf.jpg

Also, climb a mountian...

IMG_2099_zpsc6769c05.jpg

Lots to do, almost ZERO bad roads. Enjoy sitting outside eating and drinking and not sweating to death.

So much good info. Best place ever for an adv type bike that is comfortable on pavement or gravel, really opens up a lot of choices. We always(lessons learned) do our best to avoid the crowds from late June thru mid August. Our style is no reservations or any predetermined location so we try to go after school starts. Cheaper and no worries about getting a room. In Durango we like to get a room in one of the old 50's motels on the main drag that have been kept nice. Just love the atmosphere. Coming from the very SE coast of TX, we enjoy ALL of mountainous western CO. First trip ever was to Durango and we still love everything around there and Ouray. Ouray is a very very special place. Vallecito Lake is very nice and quiet and peaceful. Very much worth a visit. For a one week or multi time visit, I can't imagine running out of good roads to ride in any direction from Durango. Our trip to Durango was the start of 40+ years of heading to CO. We were driving back from TN one time and my wife looked out the window and said that it really didn't feel like a vacation if we didn't go to CO. Just go to Durango and get started, impossible to go wrong. You will go back!

Last edited:
It's hard for me to not make plans. That town below me in the above picture, one of the bars there is owned by a family member so I know where I'm going and where I'm staying...and where I'm drinking. :D

Hey Jasen! I'll be up in Gunnison for WestFest 6-8 August. You should go. It'd be good to ride with ya again!

Colorado is contagious. I'll be up there first week in august for a ministry trip with the youth group and again the third week to do some backpacking and mountain climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jasen! I'll be up in Gunnison for WestFest 6-8 August. You should go. It'd be good to ride with ya again!

If all goes as planned, I'll only be in my first month as a full time employee right then. Not the best time to take off for the mountains. :rofl:

Back