• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another dissatisfied BMW FtW customer

I'm sure everyone is indifferent at this point but here is the follow up with what appears to be a happy ending (we'll see Sat. Morning)

After leaving 3 messages with no return call, I finally talk with "Vick" at Freedom Powersports. We go round and round about how he couldn't sell my F800 but his RT is a hot commodity (despite being there over a month and lacking ESA and heated seats). We end the phone call with no deal. I thought he was condescending and I'm sure he thought the same of me.

Today, it's icy and office is closed so I see that HondaWest is advertising the same RT since they are all part of the dealer network. Speak to Carlos who is a nice guy and I give him the run down. His sales manager calls me an hour later wanting some more info., calls me back to have me fill a credit app. and finalizes the deal. It sounds pretty easy to make a deal so I dunno what the issue is with those guys in Hurst?

They were going to go grab the RT for Sat. and I said once I trade my F800ST in, I'll go pick it personally from the Hurst location. Maybe they will have free burgers Sat. too. :mrgreen:

I can't wait to hear what they say when you pick it up. Bet it will be priceless.:rofl:

Well, I was gonna pick it up tomorrow but as fate would have it, I had to go look for someone right across the highway from the dealer so I went and picked it up today. :rider: Rode the F800ST in and hour and half later, rode out on the RT. It was surreal, sales guys who had nothing to do with the deal talked to me, the finance lady found a lower rate than we discussed on the phone. No complaining about extra fees. The tech did a walk thru on the RT and had it waiting when i came out of the office. Kudos to Carlos, Nick and Nicole for a great buying experience. :clap:

959E7CA4-9C02-400A-9CDA-3E3401E882D5_zpsjtbqloyn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ride it over to the other dealer tomorrow for a burger, and be sure that the folks that wouldn't deal with you know that they missed the commission. :trust:

I've been looking at R1200Rs for a while now, went into the Hurst dealership to look at one there (2 yo with only a few hundred miles on it); it seemed as if the sales staff was adversarial in talking with me; I had to pry all info out of them. They won't tell you the price, history of the bike, or much of anything until you ask. IMHO, I'm obviously there to look at bikes; I've expressed an interest in the R1200R model; so why aren't they loading me up with more info than I need?

Wife and I were out shopping for riding boots for her today.
Went by Honda west which always seems to have a knowledgeable and friendly staff. Did not have what the girl in back wanted and took the time to explain about ordering to try, vendor policies, etc, which I know from kinda being in the wholesale retail business.
SO
We went to the Beemer shop, mostly as an excuse to have lunch at Italiani's ( the salmon Oscar is fantabulous btw ) and looked through the boot selection. The store seems to be full of black shirted, lip pierced, hoop eared persons whom I think are somehow sales related by the nature of their employment none of whom really cared to ask if we needed assistance.
The guy who did help is the racer kid who totaled his bike and most of his body, and is hobbling around on crutches in betwixt surgical repairs. He was eager to help, answered questions and did all that with a genuine smile.

What are these "dealerships" of which you speak?

I'm enjoying reading the tips about how to avoid being taken advantage of by the dealer.

At the risk of perpetuating the off-topic-ification:

Like many others, I negotiate by email. Once all the terms are agreed upon, I show up at the dealer to inspect/test the vehicle, sign the paperwork, and take delivery.

Before signing any form, I insist that the dealer lay out on the table all the forms I am expected to sign. If I don't do that, an endless supply of forms is revealed one-by-one.

I make it clear that I must see _all_ the forms. If it's not on the table up front, it won't be signed.

Then I review (study) all the forms. The forms which say it is ok to check my credit, or share my personal info, or convey power of attorney, or stipulate mandatory binding arbitration get trashed. These are never going to be signed. On the remaining forms, I cross out and initial terms I don't agree to. When it comes down to it, only a few forms (i.e. odometer, bill of sale, title application) are actually required.

If the dealer won't accept my position on the forms, we find out quickly and I leave, with a minimal investment of time. But, it turns out that most dealers don't really need to have the superfluous stuff signed.

I keep possession of everything I have signed until I am done signing. If an issue comes up I can cross out and tear up the paperwork. Otherwise, I get copies of everything as it is hand it over.

Dealerships are experts at taking your money; these tactics can help limit your exposure.

Back