• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert, ADV, and Dos y Dos Challenges Mar 19 - 22 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the deadline to register ? As always I have waited to the last few days

I will be closing pre-registration (for getting a tee shirt other than size large, premailed ride guides, and maybe / maybe not trophies) this Friday, March 6th at noon.

Saturday I am off to Terlingua for preruns and a family spring break vacation.

Friday is when trophy orders and shirt orders go final and Richard mails out the guidebooks. Anyone else who wants to register but hasn't, fear not. I will take registrations up until and during after the rally. If you come late, we can always work something out. The more the merrier.

Peter

we will be there...2 riders...will sign up soon....im looking forward to my first Dualsport event back on the bike following heart surgery last november...

Awesome to have you. It's amazing how quickly folks now bounce back from serious medical trauma. My father with a quintuple bypass was walking the neighborhood 2 weeks after his surgery, with a smile.

P

I would like to attend and want to ride my Ural, I know a lot of ppl don't like them, but I was wondering if me riding the Ural would be a problem?

Not a problem at all. There is always a KTM rider who needs a spare 2 stroke motor hauled around just in case. You'll find the Ural ideally suited for the laid back area. It would even be a good bike to try the Dos Y Dos milder dirt roads and cross BBNP road riding.

Ok guys- I'm going to go ask for my kitchen pass now, I'll say its my birthday present!

And I'll be signing up asap!

OK, PayPal done for the $90 but forgot to add the DosYDos fee. Definitely riding that one. Don't care much for a trophy fee.

Finally paid in full...before the deadline this Friday! Looking forward to this great (and my first Uncle's) Adventure! If anyone (or a group) is leaving from the Central Texas area on the morning of March 19th, I would look forward to the shared journey to Terlingua! :rider:

I'm signed up paid and ready to go..

I'll be trailering my sidecar from NE San Antonio/ close to new braunfels.....I'm leaving Friday morning early....anyone need a ride or want to meet on the road....

sKATz was looking for someone to ride with and trailer her TW there. Not sure if she found anyone yet.

Travel Diva

:flip:

I'm signed up paid and ready to go..

I'll be trailering my sidecar from NE San Antonio/ close to new braunfels.....I'm leaving Friday morning early....anyone need a ride or want to meet on the road....

We are leaving Dallas area Wednesday morning and spending Wednesday night at Balmorrea.

Ok on a serious note here, should I sign up for the dos x dos or the Saturday Challenge? I'm new at this off road sruff...

mtbjohnny, there is another Ural planning to Dos y Dos. Not me on a sidecar this time tho, I plan to bring the TW.

Tdubs like Urals! mtbjohnny, I've never been out to Big Bend before but I know a bunch of these folks and we all take pretty good care of each other. :rider:

Tdubs like Urals! mtbjohnny, I've never been out to Big Bend before but I know a bunch of these folks and we all take pretty good care of each other. :rider:
Thanks everyone! I'm getting some of the gear I need this week and I'll be set to go Friday!

Consider buying from our Rally sponsors that carry gear. Tell them you're with "Uncles". Motorangutan in Austin, Motorcycles Unlimited in Houston and Motoliberty in DFW.

So in an interesting learning experience I've taught myself how to upload GPS route files (.gpx format) into Google earth (google uses simiilar .KMZ files) on my PC, then take a pre-run electronically from my bedroom. All very cool. I've "ridden" the desert challenge from my armchair now in 3 D!

I then learned how to map out a route in Google Maps using basically a line drawn on the earth,save it as a .KMZ file. Then use a painless web service ( http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input ) to save it in the form of a text document that I think is basically the same as a .gpx file. When I import the .txt into Google Earth it will let me run the course as a route, but will not show me specific waypoints.

Now the only thing left is to upload this .txt file into a GPS unit for the pre-run the event in person next Monday. How does one do this???? I am happy to email out the .txt files.

Here is the Dos Y Dos loops as I drew them Google Earth:

I made 5 routes: Loop 0 Rio grande village to trailhead

10857277_10205567336597289_1084171531016484106_o.jpg

Loop 1 Trailhead to Mariscal Mine and back up Black Gap

10950705_10205567336637290_3385216538062944517_o.jpg

Loop 2 to Boquillas overlook,

11046603_10205567336677291_2387105678400724140_o.jpg

Loop 3 to Ernst Tinaja and to Hot Springs

10997300_10205567336557288_8706997452592928969_o.jpg

Loop 4 Hot springs back to Rio Grande Village

10986897_10205567336717292_7654231809964686786_o.jpg

Pedro

Last edited:
So in an interesting learning experience I've taught myself how to upload GPS route files (.gpx format) into Google earth (google uses simiilar .KMZ files) on my PC, then take a pre-run electronically from my bedroom. All very cool. I've "ridden" the desert challenge from my armchair now in 3 D!

I then learned how to map out a route in Google Maps using basically a line drawn on the earth,save it as a .KMZ file. Then use a painless web service ( http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input ) to save it in the form of a text document that I think is basically the same as a .gpx file. When I import the .txt into Google Earth it will let me run the course as a route, but will not show me specific waypoints.

Now the only thing left is to upload this .txt file into a GPS unit for the pre-run the event in person next Monday. How does one do this???? I am happy to email out the .txt files.

Pedro

Gpsvisualizer is a great site. If you had drawn the track here,
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw/
you could have downloaded a track as .gpx and saved it directly to the gps.
Go here
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input
and upload your file, .txt or .kml, and you can convert to .gpx. Then, on later garmins, just open the gps internal memory and save the file to the \garmin\gpx folder.

LATE REQUEST :
I was planning on camping, but I would really like a room.....anyone out there have an extra bed in their room? I'd of course pay for half the room and I might be able to fill u up on the road as I carry about 8 gallons of fuels with me!

Pm or 2104164400

I think Paul and I still have the couch available in our room if you want to crash with us. Paul will see this update and confirm. We are staying at the El Dorado and have one of the big rooms. Split three ways

LATE REQUEST :
I was planning on camping, but I would really like a room.....anyone out there have an extra bed in their room? I'd of course pay for half the room and I might be able to fill u up on the road as I carry about 8 gallons of fuels with me!

Pm or 2104164400

I think Paul and I still have the couch available in our room if you want to crash with us. Paul will see this update and confirm. We are staying at the El Dorado and have one of the big rooms. Split three ways
Count me it! Sweet!

I saw today that Study Butte RV park has mowed down the weeds and grass on a spot a quarter mile up the highway, set picnic tables and trash cans and is offering it as dry camp sites for $15.00 a night. Phone number there is 432-371-2468 if anyone needs a last minute camp site.

I have no affiliation with them, just saw the new spots while making a run to Cottonwood Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back