TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Offroad Riders > Impending Dust Storms and Mud Baths

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #21
TECH51

Re: Interested in a no pavement Mexico trip?

I'm out.....

13 300xc
09 400xc-w
Looking at a 16 350xc-f
TECH51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #22
Shadman
TWT Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crchristo View Post
The sheer remoteness of the route I'm looking at is its own attraction. There's a good chance that even given the 4 days I'm estimating, the route is simply not achievable. I'm OK with that.
I finally had a chance to look at your route on google earth. If you detour a bit south it looks like there is more good stuff and more scenic stuff. But your route definitely takes you on the road less travelled, but it appears a lonely straight, ranch and farm crossing route. My gut is lots of ranches equals lots of questions and some risk. Still wrapping my interested head around it.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:03 AM   #23
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
I finally had a chance to look at your route on google earth. If you detour a bit south it looks like there is more good stuff and more scenic stuff. But your route definitely takes you on the road less travelled, but it appears a lonely straight, ranch and farm crossing route. My gut is lots of ranches equals lots of questions and some risk. Still wrapping my interested head around it.
Yeah, I thought about that, and is certainly a main reason why I'd like to have someone along that knows more about that than I do, and has at least some communications ability. Lots of ranches that would need to be cut through. Even though my bike and I break out in rashes at the thought of asphalt, I originally tried to find a workable route that would take me down to Santa Eulalia and head west or southwest from there, leading in to the mountains a lot quicker.

The problem is that I've not been able to find a route that looks like it has a good chance of success going all the way through, that far south. I'm still poking around, but keep coming up a bit short. I've been able to find a few 80-90% solutions. My American mind tells me that a road just can't end there, but it also tells me that it's not an American road.

I'm going to keep looking, but so far, what I've posted is all I've been able to find that looks like it crosses the range completely with a pretty good probability of it being achievable. I'm confident that there is some other way to do it. I just haven't found it yet.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:38 AM   #24
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
Unfortunately most of the more adventurous guys interested in Mexico will be doing the rundown in early April, not sure if you can scrounge up a partner or 4 on this board, haha. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd take an intro trip to Mex first. Even day one of "The Rundown" to Tula with the group, and then back to Galeana, and then home, would be well worth the time and expense. I'll just leave you with a few pics:
Without a doubt, an intro ride is a sound idea but it looks like even if you just bang on down the highway directly to Tula, it's a straight 5-6 hour haul. I'm dreading the October haul from Reyones to Matemorelos but the payoff after that looks to be more than worth the pain! Honestly, I'm not up to blasting all the way to Tula on my little KTM. Plus, I can only get away just so often due to family and work commitments. I have to really try to make my limited "getaways" as good as I can.

I'll be out in Phoenix for my nephews HS graduation later this year. I'm trying to figure out a way to sneak the bike on the truck instead of flying, without ending up in a divorce!
Old 02-16-2016, 03:26 AM   #25
kayakkawakid

Ur 450 is better than my 400 to blast down hwy, peter took his 223, galeana is worth the stiff ride, crossing many ranches is not a good idea especially in remote border villages, could be asking for trouble, da interior of mex is much more moto trespassin friendly...
kayakkawakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #26
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakkawakid View Post
Ur 450 is better than my 400 to blast down hwy, peter took his 223, galeana is worth the stiff ride, crossing many ranches is not a good idea especially in remote border villages, could be asking for trouble, da interior of mex is much more moto trespassin friendly...
Thanks. That's two of you who've said this. Two plus my original gut thinking tells me it's a questionable route section. I'm going back to the maps.

What's your impression of the portions of the route that are actually in the Carmen Range after you get through the flat stuff leading up to it?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #27
kayakkawakid

Send me a link direct, ck ur page
Old 02-17-2016, 02:33 AM   #28
kayakkawakid

I c on google maps jaboncillos but dont c morelos or minas 5 palmas? I got ur google emails but arent clear
Old 02-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #29
crchristo

Quote:
I c on google maps jaboncillos but dont c morelos or minas 5 palmas? I got ur google emails but arent clear
I've marked up the western portion of the screen grabs I sent you to better point them out.
The route comes in from the East, and the loop is clockwise. After Jaboncillos, we head northeast to the 4 Palmas Mine. After visiting the mine, we would head south to Morelos again for fuel, or alternatively, we could bypass Morelos if we found fuel in the Village Venustiano Carranza when we passed through the first time.

Go to page 4 of this 4X4 blog for an excellent write up and photos of the 4 Palmas mine. Very cool. I need to see this! http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/fo...the-tunnel/45/

Last edited by crchristo; 02-17-2016 at 09:22 AM.
crchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #30
kayakkawakid

Wow, da mine is a must do, what else would be encountered in this ride?? Put up the eastern part of da ride starting in del rio, I'm interested more and more
Old 02-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #31
crchristo

Quote:
Wow, da mine is a must do, what else would be encountered in this ride?? Put up the eastern part of da ride starting in del rio, I'm interested more and more
Yeah, that mine is something else.

I suspect that it will be the highlight of the ride, but the lower half of the loop takes us through the heart of the preserve. A very different type of Mexico than the stereotype, for sure.
I have several other side routes that go up to some pretty nice photo ops of the mountains. Those will have to be dependent on the fuel and time situation.
The whole route should be very scenic. In my mind, even the more or less flat eastern portion is not going to be so flat while riding on it. Endless views!

Leaving Del Rio, cross the dam and head West 120 miles to Morelos.
Head Southwest through the mountains about 40 miles to Ejido Jaboncillos.
Head Northeast about 45 miles to the 4 Palmas Mine.
Head south about 20 miles back to Morelos.
Return to Del Rio.

Here's the whole route in screen grabs.

Eastern 1/3rd

Central 1/3rd

Western 1/3rd

Last edited by crchristo; 02-19-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typo
crchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #32
crchristo

I've been searching like crazy for a route that would go from that easternmost unnamed village on the center screen grab and cut through south of that big volcano looking mountain (Cerro Colorado, I believe), but I haven't found anything that looks like it'll be successful.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #33
kayakkawakid

Very cool pics, any thoughts of running north da 10 miles to boquilas mexican side village just to do a quick visit, i was there on da other side with my family in 2014 sept celebrating our 11th anniversary, i almost jumped on da ferry boat to cross, my boy bought some handmade crafts left on ground in boquilas, so we seen across da rio grande, good times
Old 02-17-2016, 11:30 PM   #34
crchristo

Quote:
Very cool pics, any thoughts of running north da 10 miles to boquilas mexican side village just to do a quick visit, i was there on da other side with my family in 2014 sept celebrating our 11th anniversary, i almost jumped on da ferry boat to cross, my boy bought some handmade crafts left on ground in boquilas, so we seen across da rio grande, good times
Yeah, it's only about 10 miles up the road. Why not? The last time I was there, the boat wasn't running. Glad that they at least have that going now.

Also, I was thinking it could actually become an emergency fuel resupply if it came down to it.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:14 AM   #35
kayakkawakid

Philip u in for late april? Peter ? Where is that ranch or resort u were talkin about ? And another way of finding a good route could be on da job asking locals cuz theres only so much google maps can give u...
Old 02-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #36
crchristo

Quote:
Philip u in for late april? Peter ? Where is that ranch or resort u were talkin about ? And another way of finding a good route could be on da job asking locals cuz theres only so much google maps can give u...
I've been doing some checking, and I'm beginning to become sure that it's probably an administrative area of the Parque Nacional Maderas del Carmen. The Coordinates are 28°59'29.61"N, 102°32'53.63"W.

If you know locals who might have more information, that info would be head and shoulders above what I'm able to find on the internet!

Old 02-19-2016, 01:48 AM   #37
kayakkawakid

Looks like Maybe a dam, and no i dont know anyone in that area sorry, u thinkin to trailer to del rio thurs then cross over friday make it to that resort and dam then sat jaboncillos and boquilas and close to mine maybe then sunday mornin tour da mine and head for da border then monday head back home ??
Old 02-19-2016, 02:55 AM   #38
crchristo

Quote:
u thinkin to trailer to del rio thurs then cross over friday make it to that resort and dam then sat jaboncillos and boquilas and close to mine maybe then sunday mornin tour da mine and head for da border then monday head back home ??

Yep, that's pretty much it. It would be nice to make it that far on the first day, but we might come up a bit short. Hard to tell just by looking at the maps, but that sounds about right.

Are you pretty confident that we'd be able to find gas by the time we hit Morelos? What sort of range do you get with your bike?

You mentioned in an earlier post about trying for late April. That would work perfectly for me but I'm pretty flexible on dates.

You tell me the specific dates and I'll do what I have to, to make those work for me.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #39
philipbarrett

Start out Thursday 14th, back on Monday 18th?

Zeke, will we be able to help the local economy by buying food in the villages or do we need to pack in?

2010 BMW F800GS "Buck"
2002 KTM 300EXC
2015 Husqvarna FE501S
1975 Honda CB400F
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #40
crchristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
Start out Thursday 14th, back on Monday 18th?

Zeke, will we be able to help the local economy by buying food in the villages or do we need to pack in?
Those dates will work for me, but I thought one or both of you had planned on doing the April 9-16 Jalpan ride?

My initial thinking was to pack a decent dinner meal per day and count on finding at least one place each day to eat. It would be nice not to have to pack that much food. I'm sure Jaboncillos and Boquillos will have a place to eat, but I don't know about the other places.
The first part to Morellos is awfully barren. But, what do I know? What do you think, Zeke?