TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #41
Cagiva 549

Re: What is your experience with Rekluse Auto Clutches?

The 450 bikes have been flawless , until I get major suspension work done to the SE it won't be installed , the po set it up for a big boy and I'm not near big enough so as is it , is unrideable off road . At soft settings it is way too stiff for me and rider comfort is not near as good as my 950 adventure . At this point I could prolly be talked out of it fairly easily and I really never felt the need for the Rekluse on the adventure so it to will prolbly be passed on too .
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #42
Dao

I bought this Rekluse for my CR250R back in '06 when I first bought the bike. This is the Z-start Pro model. Back then when it was just released, the improvement over the original Z -start model was that the clutch override now works throughout the entire RPM range (vs. low rpm only w/ the z start).

So when I 1st went to install it inside my smoker, I talked extensively w/ the tech guys about which setting to go with. the techie suggested to try their recommended setting per instruction sheet. So I did that, and that's what it's set at for 11 yrs now...and man/dude/bro.... that little sucker's still slipping away perfectly like the 1st day I installed it. My motor's gone through 11, maybe 13 top ends so far, and yet I've never had to do a thing w/ my clutches. Unfortunately, my stock clutch basket is just starting to notch. So when I do my next top end, a new Rekluse billet clutch basket and cushions is going in there and I'll throw in some new clutch pads and reset the gap all over again. But Seriously, I haven't messed w/ that rekluse since 2006!

It's a shame Rekluse retired the Pro model. That line has a proven record for
being bulletproof. If you ever get your hands on a Rekluse Pro, grab it quick.
Dao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #43
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessrider View Post
I will be anxious to hear how it holds up, and if you like having it on a bigger bore road bike. Have an Africa Twin that I might want to put one in.
Wishing that you had bought the DCT version now?

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #44
Thrasherg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dao View Post
I bought this Rekluse for my CR250R back in '06 when I first bought the bike. This is the Z-start Pro model. Back then when it was just released, the improvement over the original Z -start model was that the clutch override now works throughout the entire RPM range (vs. low rpm only w/ the z start).

So when I 1st went to install it inside my smoker, I talked extensively w/ the tech guys about which setting to go with. the techie suggested to try their recommended setting per instruction sheet. So I did that, and that's what it's set at for 11 yrs now...and man/dude/bro.... that little sucker's still slipping away perfectly like the 1st day I installed it. My motor's gone through 11, maybe 13 top ends so far, and yet I've never had to do a thing w/ my clutches. Unfortunately, my stock clutch basket is just starting to notch. So when I do my next top end, a new Rekluse billet clutch basket and cushions is going in there and I'll throw in some new clutch pads and reset the gap all over again. But Seriously, I haven't messed w/ that rekluse since 2006!

It's a shame Rekluse retired the Pro model. That line has a proven record for
being bulletproof. If you ever get your hands on a Rekluse Pro, grab it quick.
You might be right about reliability, I had both the Pro and now an EXP 2.0 and the newer versions are so much easier to install (don't have 20 large ball bearing to balance in the clutch when putting it together), in a workshop that is not an issue, but I have had to adjust my rekluse clutches whilst out riding in the dirt and the new clutches are much easier to take apart and put back together!! Just for convenience I would always go for an EXP2 or 3

Gary
14 CBR500RR (Daughter #2)
06 CRF450X (Mine)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
05 & 06 CRF450X (spares for friends!)
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #45
Btweaver13

The Core EXP 3.0 has an external slave cylinder for bikes with hydraulic clutches. A 4mm hex wrench and 15 seconds is all you need to adjust settings.
Btweaver13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #46
FJRMike

I rode with an very experienced rider this last week and he has done many races in his life.

I noticed he had a Rekluse clutch on his bike and I was kidding him that I thought those were only for inexperienced newbies. He said he had heard all that but it was one of the best mods he had done to his bike and was very glad he had done it!!

I wanna ride....
FJRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #47
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Wishing that you had bought the DCT version now?

_
Positively NOT! Really more of a curiosity thing about how well they will work in the large torque engines. If i had my way, they would still be putting 6 speed manual shift trannies in F-350s. I still refer to any truck with an automatic transmission as a "womens truck". Wheather on 2 wheels or 4, I will forever be a non-PC gear jammer.
2016 Africa Twin CRF-1000
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
wildernessrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #48
SilverBullet

Quote:
Positively NOT! Really more of a curiosity thing about how well they will work in the large torque engines. If i had my way, they would still be putting 6 speed manual shift trannies in F-350s. I still refer to any truck with an automatic transmission as a "womens truck". Wheather on 2 wheels or 4, I will forever be a non-PC gear jammer.
Well I was wondering because you posted your YZ has a Rekluse and you're thinking to put one in your WR. Actually from what I read and gather a DCT is a step above a Rekluse.

If you want a "men's truck" you can still buy a Ram with 6 speed manual. That will be my next vehicle purchase for my retirement haul rig. So long as I still have two healthy legs to clutch and brake, I'll never buy an automatic. In my lifetime I've only bought one automatic for myself and I kept that one less than a year.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 02-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #49
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well I was wondering because you posted your YZ has a Rekluse and you're thinking to put one in your WR. Actually from what I read and gather a DCT is a step above a Rekluse.

If you want a "men's truck" you can still buy a Ram with 6 speed manual. That will be my next vehicle purchase for my retirement haul rig. So long as I still have two healthy legs to clutch and brake, I'll never buy an automatic. In my lifetime I've only bought one automatic for myself and I kept that one less than a year.

_
Hate hearing I'm a sissy, lol!
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #50
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
Hate hearing I'm a sissy, lol!
Haha..I was only using Donny's terminology Lol

I have nothing against automatics just not for me. Can't really even say you get better mpg with manuals anymore either. I flat out enjoy driving any manual trans vehicle but an auto is transportation mode for me..boring no matter how big, small or sporty the vehicle. If I ever had a daily rush hour commute I would have probably changed my mind. But over the years I always chose my work and home locations carefully. Except for a two year stint in So Cal and then I rode the bike everyday and lane split.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 02-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #51
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

The biggest reason I want a Rekluse in my WR is because using the clutch all day long on a hard ride with lots of shifts & clutch feathering wears my hand out to the point of muscle cramps by late afternoon. That new Ram offroad package is way cool! I got to check one out at the truck rodeo. Of course it was an automatic tranny so everyone could drive it, but it did have all the off road options. It was by far the most capable off roader of the whole bunch, and easily took the trophy in that class.
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
Old 02-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #52
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I've only had hand issues once with respect to doing a lot of clutch work. This was after six days of riding in Arizona on some pretty gnarly stuff. The last day wasn't gnarly, it was just endless tight corners for many miles spaced just far enough apart that trying to stay in one gear was really annoying. After that trip, I literally had my left hand in a splint for about three weeks because my wrist was so tender and putting ANY load on it where I pulled the hand inward cause pretty sharp pain in the wrist. Even pulling my truck door closed hurt... Fortunately, that has not happened again!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #53
SilverBullet

You guys need to get your GI Joe kung fu grip exercises going on. Lol

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 02-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #54
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Mine issue is likely carpal tunnel related. Sometimes have similar issues with right hand.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 02-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #55
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

Quote:

_
...Or just put in a Rekluse and spend all that effort riding more trails to get our Kung Fu fast going on.
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #56
SilverBullet

Quote:
...Or just put in a Rekluse and spend all that effort riding more trails to get our Kung Fu fast going on.
I'm a cheapskate, $800 buys unlimited effort and motivation for me. Squeezing a tennis ball while you're web searching is free and effortless. I'm following this thread as my 200EXC came with a Rekluse in a box. I haven't installed it yet and not sure if I will. Half lazy to do it and half afraid I might like it and then need to buy one for my other bikes.

I wonder if part of your clutch hand cramping on the WR might be from your YZ now having a Rekluse. On your longer and harder riding days while racing you're not getting clutch hand exercise anymore.

As I'm getting older I think arthritis is slowing coming in. My hands function much better when very warm. Cold tends to stiffen things up, even have turned on grip warmers on days that most would consider warm.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #57
SL350
Forum Supporter

I'm a little surprised one of the big manufacturers does not buy out Rekluse and sell a line of bikes using the technology.

The only issue with my ct90's centrifical clutch is with the idle speed. Set it a bit too high and it wants to pull away at a light and won't shift as smoothly. Too slow an idle and it dies occasionally at a light. I suspect the same with the Rekluse.

Old Man Time

Mike
Honda CT90, SL350
SL350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #58
mcrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Mine issue is likely carpal tunnel related. Sometimes have similar issues with right hand.
My fingers use to tingle after a couple of hours, but this cured that. Here is some thing that will help with wrist problems. This came from my son-in-law who is a physical therapist.

Get a can of Campbell's soup. It is the can size not the weight. Set with your arm on a rest with the elbow at a right angle. Hold the can palm up & circle the wrist. Then, hold the can palm down & circle the other direction. Do it 30 seconds or so each way; then swap hands. Start out doing it at least twice a day. If you are diligent about it, after 2 or 3 weeks you can go to once a day.

Combine this with a hand squeeze for arm pump & your arms will be fine.

After about a month my tingle went away & has not come back.
mcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #59
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

Takes a fairly significant idle speed to activate a properly adjusted Rekluse. Haven't had any such issues on mine.
SilverBullet I am sure there is some truth in what you say...on both accounts. I am not riding every day, and clutching as much as I did a year or so back. So no doubt my hand isn't nearly as conditioned. Also you are right about your new Rekluse. If you ride much off road at all after installing it, you will love the thing and never want to get rid of it. $800 is a lot of money. No argument there for sure!
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
Old 02-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #60
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
As I'm getting older I think arthritis is slowing coming in. My hands function much better when very warm. Cold tends to stiffen things up, even have turned on grip warmers on days that most would consider warm.
I will often run the heated grips on my 1200 GS for the same reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrider View Post
My fingers use to tingle after a couple of hours, but this cured that. Here is some thing that will help with wrist problems. This came from my son-in-law who is a physical therapist.

Get a can of Campbell's soup. It is the can size not the weight. Set with your arm on a rest with the elbow at a right angle. Hold the can palm up & circle the wrist. Then, hold the can palm down & circle the other direction. Do it 30 seconds or so each way; then swap hands. Start out doing it at least twice a day. If you are diligent about it, after 2 or 3 weeks you can go to once a day.

Combine this with a hand squeeze for arm pump & your arms will be fine.

After about a month my tingle went away & has not come back.
I am gonna have to try that. Thanks!

I also get issues because of my shoulders. I've got some rotator cuff issues that can sometimes cause my entire right arm to start hurting pretty bad. Sometimes just sleeping on my side can make it flare up something nasty! The left has it too, just not as bad. I can't afford shoulder surgery since I have no insurance...

Quote: