• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is your experience with Rekluse Auto Clutches?

The biggest reason I want a Rekluse in my WR is because using the clutch all day long on a hard ride with lots of shifts & clutch feathering wears my hand out to the point of muscle cramps by late afternoon. That new Ram offroad package is way cool! I got to check one out at the truck rodeo. Of course it was an automatic tranny so everyone could drive it, but it did have all the off road options. It was by far the most capable off roader of the whole bunch, and easily took the trophy in that class.

:tab I've only had hand issues once with respect to doing a lot of clutch work. This was after six days of riding in Arizona on some pretty gnarly stuff. The last day wasn't gnarly, it was just endless tight corners for many miles spaced just far enough apart that trying to stay in one gear was really annoying. After that trip, I literally had my left hand in a splint for about three weeks because my wrist was so tender and putting ANY load on it where I pulled the hand inward cause pretty sharp pain in the wrist. Even pulling my truck door closed hurt... Fortunately, that has not happened again!

...Or just put in a Rekluse and spend all that effort riding more trails to get our Kung Fu fast going on.

I'm a cheapskate, $800 buys unlimited effort and motivation for me. Squeezing a tennis ball while you're web searching is free and effortless. I'm following this thread as my 200EXC came with a Rekluse in a box. I haven't installed it yet and not sure if I will. Half lazy to do it and half afraid I might like it and then need to buy one for my other bikes.

I wonder if part of your clutch hand cramping on the WR might be from your YZ now having a Rekluse. On your longer and harder riding days while racing you're not getting clutch hand exercise anymore.

As I'm getting older I think arthritis is slowing coming in. My hands function much better when very warm. Cold tends to stiffen things up, even have turned on grip warmers on days that most would consider warm.

_

I'm a little surprised one of the big manufacturers does not buy out Rekluse and sell a line of bikes using the technology.

The only issue with my ct90's centrifical clutch is with the idle speed. Set it a bit too high and it wants to pull away at a light and won't shift as smoothly. Too slow an idle and it dies occasionally at a light. I suspect the same with the Rekluse.

Mine issue is likely carpal tunnel related. Sometimes have similar issues with right hand.

My fingers use to tingle after a couple of hours, but this cured that. Here is some thing that will help with wrist problems. This came from my son-in-law who is a physical therapist.

Get a can of Campbell's soup. It is the can size not the weight. Set with your arm on a rest with the elbow at a right angle. Hold the can palm up & circle the wrist. Then, hold the can palm down & circle the other direction. Do it 30 seconds or so each way; then swap hands. Start out doing it at least twice a day. If you are diligent about it, after 2 or 3 weeks you can go to once a day.

Combine this with a hand squeeze for arm pump & your arms will be fine.

After about a month my tingle went away & has not come back.

Takes a fairly significant idle speed to activate a properly adjusted Rekluse. Haven't had any such issues on mine.
SilverBullet I am sure there is some truth in what you say...on both accounts. I am not riding every day, and clutching as much as I did a year or so back. So no doubt my hand isn't nearly as conditioned. Also you are right about your new Rekluse. If you ride much off road at all after installing it, you will love the thing and never want to get rid of it. $800 is a lot of money. No argument there for sure!

As I'm getting older I think arthritis is slowing coming in. My hands function much better when very warm. Cold tends to stiffen things up, even have turned on grip warmers on days that most would consider warm.

:tab I will often run the heated grips on my 1200 GS for the same reasons.

My fingers use to tingle after a couple of hours, but this cured that. Here is some thing that will help with wrist problems. This came from my son-in-law who is a physical therapist.

Get a can of Campbell's soup. It is the can size not the weight. Set with your arm on a rest with the elbow at a right angle. Hold the can palm up & circle the wrist. Then, hold the can palm down & circle the other direction. Do it 30 seconds or so each way; then swap hands. Start out doing it at least twice a day. If you are diligent about it, after 2 or 3 weeks you can go to once a day.

Combine this with a hand squeeze for arm pump & your arms will be fine.

After about a month my tingle went away & has not come back.

:tab I am gonna have to try that. Thanks!

:tab I also get issues because of my shoulders. I've got some rotator cuff issues that can sometimes cause my entire right arm to start hurting pretty bad. Sometimes just sleeping on my side can make it flare up something nasty! The left has it too, just not as bad. I can't afford shoulder surgery since I have no insurance... :argh:

If the ergos on any bike don't fit I have all kinds of problems due to dozens (literally) of broken bones in hands, fingers, and wrists. A change in cruising speed or direction, wind speed or direction, long grade etc., requires adjusting, so that's why I don't do windshields. If the hand grips are in the right place all I need is three sets of foot pegs and a flat enough seat to slide back and forth a bit and I'm good for 16 hours of riding stopping only for fuel, food, and restroom breaks. Take away adjustability, and I'm aching in 30 minutes. That's why I prefer the flat, old school seats.

I move all over the place, stand up, slide around, slide off sideways a bit, etc,... I am good for about 15-20 minutes in one spot. However, I can generally stand longer and more comfortably than sit, on either the KTM 530 or BMW 1200 GS. I can go for hours standing on the GS.

Getting the hand levers in the right positions will also make a BIG difference on hand/wrist issues. They have to work for both sitting and standing. I see a lot of folks that will get them fine for sitting, but WAY too high for standing, which causes the wrists to really have to bend upward to reach the levers. That causes a LOT of strain and can cause pain very quickly.

::tab I also get issues because of my shoulders. I've got some rotator cuff issues that can sometimes cause my entire right arm to start hurting pretty bad. Sometimes just sleeping on my side can make it flare up something nasty! The left has it too, just not as bad. I can't afford shoulder surgery since I have no insurance... :argh:

I've got that also from a crash. Also, have exercise for the shoulder using Thuro Band. I'd have to show you those.

I looked to see what I am running in my bikes , the 450 EXC is the original Rekluse , the Beta has a Core EXP 2.0 and the one for the 950 SE is a EXP 3.0 not installed yet .

I have 7500 miles on a 13 500 exc.I looked at plates and clutch basket at 7000 miles and everything looked new .I have the cheap Exp ,my 3rd bike application

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the Rekluse Clutch on my KTM 950 Super Enduro. If your looking for a hot rod dirt bike then the 950SE is the bike for you. If your looking for a bike that fits because your 6'8" and 40" inseam,then the 950SE is it. I personally bought the 950SE because it fit my size. I didn't buy it for the power. It is almost impossible to put the 950's power down on a technical trail in it's stock configuration. That's why I put the Rekluse clutch in a 100+hp dirt bike. It totally changed the way the bike handles at low speed. If someone built a 350/450 dirt bike the size of the 950SE, I'd buy it. I also had to redo the suspension because it was way too rough on rocky single tracks. I've got the 950SE just about perfect now. It can handle slow technical terrain and still blast across the desert at 125+ mph if you need to go that fast ! ! ! :trust:

That bike is the ultimate power house! I bet now that it is completely controlable it is really a hoot to ride off road. Big Dave isnt kidding about this bike easily hitting 125mph running across the soft stuff.
Now that you got it all dialed in Dave, how 'bout joining us on this years LAB2V ride? It is the best 2 days and 500 miles of pure mojave desert two wheeled excitement to be found. You would love it! A total desert riding free for all, with about 600 fellow enthusiasts.

I have had 2 of them.......but doubt I'd ever go back. I guess it would depend on what I was riding on and what terrain about 90% of the time. Even though at times I get clutch arm pump, I like having total control over the clutch. Most of the time, it is not ever needed. Does it make it easier.....yes. Does it make you a better rider.....no. Does it make you look like a better rider.....yes. Again, personal preference.

Does it make you able to ride tricky technical stuff that you might NOT be able to ride without it, Yes absolutely!
But as stated above, that doesn't actually MAKE you a better rider. You are just better equipped, and thusly able to get away with technical riding previously thought to be above your current skill level.

I have had 2 of them.......but doubt I'd ever go back. I guess it would depend on what I was riding on and what terrain about 90% of the time. Even though at times I get clutch arm pump, I like having total control over the clutch. Most of the time, it is not ever needed. Does it make it easier.....yes. Does it make you a better rider.....no. Does it make you look like a better rider.....yes. Again, personal preference.

No gadget will make you a better rider and that's not the point here. The point of the Rekluse is to allow the rider to concentrate more on the line of technical terrain and less on clutch/RPM. The only way to become a "better" rider it time and experience. People can take every course known and put every gadget on their bike, but if you don't get out there and put in the seat time to gain the experience, it won't matter. There are a crap load of arm chair "professional" riders out there giving bad advice ! ! ! Get outside, dust off and fire up the old bike and ride ! ! ! :rider: ;-)

No gadget will make you a better rider and that's not the point here. The point of the Rekluse is to allow the rider to concentrate more on the line of technical terrain and less on clutch/RPM. The only way to become a "better" rider it time and experience. People can take every course known and put every gadget on their bike, but if you don't get out there and put in the seat time to gain the experience, it won't matter. There are a crap load of arm chair "professional" riders out there giving bad advice ! ! ! Get outside, dust off and fire up the old bike and ride ! ! ! :rider: ;-)

:tab This is SO true. I find that every time I get to go out and ride, I get a little better at picking lines, trusting the bike to absorb stuff I'd rather not hit, balancing my weight at low speeds, etc,... My problem is the time between rides nowadays. I just can't get the seat time now that I was able to get 15 years ago. Too many other demands on my time. It is very frustrating because I'm just getting older every day...:twitch:

If you ride in a controlled environment and practice practice practice have your brake and shift point marked for every situation a Recluse is probly not going to help you . If you never ride the same corner twice , are continually looking for something different . And never know what's over the next rise or around that bend or when that hill will end a Recluse will be your best friend , it will help you survive .

Wasn't that your Beta that I rode recently David? Or was it the KTM 450? Either way, it was the one with the Rekluse in it. I didn't really get the chance to try it out on anything really gnarly other than lugging it up some of those dirt road hills at Donny's place that ran out through those pastures. But we rode some other stuff where I could see it being handy.

I'm hoping to get back up there Memorial Day weekend with Daniel to do some riding.

It was the Beta , KTM 450 and 950 SE went to a new homes . But 2 more Cagiva Gran Canyons are headed south next month , maybe I should see if they have a Recluse for Ducs . The dry clutch probly won't do too well .

Anyone have one on a Strom? I rode a bike with one on it. Not a Strom. And it was awesome in rough terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back