• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 or 4 days West of San Antonio ???

Reaction score
The weather looks like it might be pretty decent in south Texas according to the long range forecast. I am thinking about doin some riding in the area west and perhaps northwest of San Antonio. Thought I would post here in case others might want to join in. Give me a shout if interested.

Will likely head from Houston to somewhere west of San Antonio next Wednesday ( Nov. 15). Set up camp somewhere and do day rides out from that location for a few days. Relocate camp at some point if it makes sense. Lost Maples State Park looks like it could be a decent spot to start.
Will probably be camping and just exploring the area in no great hurry.
There are usually hiking trails in the state parks so I may well spend some time doing some modest day hikes.
There are some Texas State Parks I have never been to. Devil's River, Kickapoo Caverns and Garner State Parks. Also there is a Devil's Sink hole that looks like it might be interesting.

I am trying to decide which moto bike to bring. I have a WR250R and a 650 Vstrom. Will likely bring the WRR so I can get on some of the dirt roads.

I have ridden in that area. I attended one of Richard's gatherings in Junction. Would like to ride the "Bump Gate University" route again. I found that route to be a hoot!

Being retired now, I am just getting out trying to take advantage of some nice fall weather before it turns cold and wet. Shoot, if someone else has an idea for nice 5 to 7 day trip give me a shout. I can easily change plans. I thought about heading to Arkansas. But the temperatures will likely be down in the 30's at night. Makes for some cold camping.

Last edited:
Lost maples is a small park and really popular while leaves are changing. Showing up without reservation didn't work well for me. Great area for riding.

RG is correct. Garner is booked and I would bet Lost Maples is also. I should be somewhere in the area around the 22. My wife will be riding with me so we ill stick to the paved roads. Silverbullet and I are planning on 3-4 days of dirt riding sometime in December.

Thanks for the heads up about the crowds in the State Parks. I did not think it would be an issue.

I will have to call them. This could change my plan.....

please post final plan, I may join you. Bring both bikes if possible, lots of riding west of San Antonio.
Kerville's Schreiner Park is a great camp ground and accesses really good riding. There are two campgrounds with tent and rv parking,good clean showers etc.

please post final plan, I may join you. Bring both bikes if possible, lots of riding west of San Antonio.
Kerville's Schreiner Park is a great camp ground and accesses really good riding. There are two campgrounds with tent and rv parking,good clean showers etc.

Would be excellent if you can join in.
My little trailer is only set up to carry one moto bike. So I really have to choose. The Vstom is fine on gravel roads and would be more fun on the twisty pavement. The WRR does just fine on 2 lane highways at 60 - 65 and if were to get off on a back woods route like Bump Gate University that can be a bit more technical I would want to be on the WRR.

Been studying the map some more. There is another state park near Langtree Tx called Seminole Canyon that looks interesting. Also I have never seen the whole Judge Roy Bean thing in Langtree. So I am leaning toward setting up camp in Del Rio area and do 3 day rides from there.
1) (Thursday) Seminole Canyon & Langtree. Do a bit of hiking in Seminole Canyon. All pavement ride.
2) (Friday) Devils River State Park. There is a 20 mile dirt road to get in to the park. Plus there is hiking to get back into the canyon and river area.
3) (Saturday) Kickapoo Caverns State Park. Try to see some caves if possible. All pavement riding. There is an interesting looking dirt road going back toward Devils River that might be worth a ride if I am on the WRR. But would not get back out in there by myself.
From Del Rio it looks like the day rides would all be less than about 250 miles each day. All of this would be new territory for me.

After the above, relocate camp to Vanderpool , Kerrville or somewhere in that area. Ride the Twisted Sisters and do a hike in Lost Maples. Then ????

The above is my thinking so far. But I am flexible. Also I don't like to get locked in to a ridged agenda. So things can change as I go along, LOL. But above looks interesting and should be a relaxed pace.

I need to look at what camping there is around Del Rio.
If by myself the Vstrom would be the likely tool of choice. It is essentially a pavement ride with 40 miles of gravel road going to Devils River.

Bsheet,

JT and I camped at Seminole Canyon SP and found it well worth the visit. The guided hike to see Native American wall art and see where they lived was very interesting. (And guided is the only way you'll be able to see it.)

But, wow, you've got a lot packed in for each day...

Bsheet,

JT and I camped at Seminole Canyon SP and found it well worth the visit. The guided hike to see Native American wall art and see where they lived was very interesting. (And guided is the only way you'll be able to see it.)

But, wow, you've got a lot packed in for each day...

---------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info. Yes we should have a nice ride and an interesting end point to explore each day. Will see how it goes.

Ok. Things are moving forward. Found an RV site in Del Rio that looks decent. So we will set up camp in Del Rio on Wednesday. Then have 3 days riding out from there. The rides will be pretty much as described in my post above. But I will take along some off pavement tracks that we can take advantage of if time allows on a given day.

Should be good!

If you're that far west, look at Pandale Road - go North from Langtry, then loop back down to Comstock on 1024

If you're that far west, look at Pandale Road - go North from Langtry, then loop back down to Comstock on 1024

I see Flat Rock Store is out on that road where it crosses the Pecos. Is that worth a stop?? Do they have gas there??

I see Flat Rock Store is out on that road where it crosses the Pecos. Is that worth a stop?? Do they have gas there??

No idea - I don't remember it being there. I would not trust that is has gas.

Back