TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #21
Johnf3

Re: What is your experience with Rekluse Auto Clutches?

Tourmeister,
You have pictures of everything.

When I said "Side Hill Exposure"., I didn't mean there were no trees, simply meant that there IS some shelf-type trail.

So, this has nothing to do with a Rekluse, but I am up there from Memorial Day--Labor Day as many weekends as I possibly can be. Even if I don't ride, I still try and go.

I was actually thinking about putting together a dual sport ride up there this summer and inviting all you TWT guys. It would be big bike suitable and the routes would be flexible for those that wanted more or less. I have a few different 100-200 mile routes that are really enjoyable.

As far as a real dirt bike ride, I keep a bike there pretty much all summer, and I am ready to go any time. Our "Moonson" season starts somewhere near the middle of July and there can be regular afternoon storms, but is doesn't ever stop us for long.

The riding is good from when the snow clears to when it starts again. So, the riding season is pretty long.
Johnf3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:26 AM   #22
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

The only real down side is that Cloudcroft is the best place to stay if you want to be relatively close to the riding, but there aren't a whole lot of places to stay in Cloudcroft, espeically for large groups. Most folks will stay down in Alamogordo, but that adds a good bit of riding to the beginning and end of each day. If you like camping, there are tons of cool places to stay for primitive camping.

I'm thinking Cloudcroft would be an ideal location for someone to open up a place like those you see in North Carolina and Tennessee for motorcycle lodging. There is not a lot of paved riding, but there are miles and miles of trails and dirt roads.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #23
_RG_

Back to your question about the Rekluse... like some others, I'll go either way. My 530 is clutched, the 300 has a Rekluse EXP. Where the R stands out for me is climbing loose steep stuff. It keeps the back tire stuck in the dirt way better than I usually can with the clutch. My biggest problem (OK, one of many) is stalling the dang engine on the 530 - usually going up hill because I try to throttle back trying to not break loose and then forget to use the bloomin clutch. I've managed to stall the R but I had to really work at it. Since the 300 has no engine braking to begin with, the R is a non issue there. The R makes me ride better than my limited abilities should permit. BUT... I truly enjoy the feel of using the clutch on the 530. It feels more like I'm riding a motorcycle. Puts me and that back tire in a real close relationship with each other. I don't want a Rekluse on that bike. Probably not the answer you're looking for but there ya go.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #24
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

When I was teaching my kids to ride, the rekluse was brilliant, if they fell of I could stop in any gear jump of the bike and help them (Didn't have to find neutral and then get off). Now that my kids almost never fall off, the rekluse has limited use, I do like it, but when using engine braking down steep hills and it suddenly disengages, I often need to change my underwear!! They do make riding loose ground easier, but as I mostly ride Dual sport these days, it's rare that I hit really loose and difficult dirt. They are great clutches, but if I was buying a new bike now, I would not spend the extra money on one as my riding just doesn't need it, if the bike comes with one I would never remove it, they are great!!

Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
05 & 06 CRF450X (spares for friends!)
Thrasherg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #25
masterblaster
Forum Supporter

just bought a 450 yammy, friend insisted I get the Rekluse, I got the 3.0, changed the whole nature of dirt riding. Dont think I would own another dirt bike without one.
2018 Husqvarna TX 300
Hoka Hey 108
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:03 AM   #26
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

Speaking of clutch disengaement on the downhills...Free wheeling down those mountain trails in CO with the engine off is hands down the best way to get yourself totally dialed in on your braking technic. Nothing like several thousand feet of steep descent to get you in practice. I spent an entire half day running my little TW up the trail until it reached the elevation where it simply couldn't climb any further ( about 12,000 feet) Then i would turn off the engine and free roll all the way down to the bottom. I must have done that at least 20 times. My ability to apply just the right amount of front & rear binders improved greatly, as did my ability to carry rolling momentum thru a corner. I adamantly advise anyone to try this on a few long steep descents. Watch and see if your braking & riding abilities don't suddenly improve.
2016 Africa Twin CRF-1000
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
wildernessrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #27
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessrider View Post
Watch and see if your braking & riding abilities don't suddenly improve.
... or you die

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #28
weekend_warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessrider View Post
Speaking of clutch disengaement on the downhills...Free wheeling down those mountain trails in CO with the engine off is hands down the best way to get yourself totally dialed in on your braking technic. Nothing like several thousand feet of steep descent to get you in practice. I spent an entire half day running my little TW up the trail until it reached the elevation where it simply couldn't climb any further ( about 12,000 feet) Then i would turn off the engine and free roll all the way down to the bottom. I must have done that at least 20 times. My ability to apply just the right amount of front & rear binders improved greatly, as did my ability to carry rolling momentum thru a corner. I adamantly advise anyone to try this on a few long steep descents. Watch and see if your braking & riding abilities don't suddenly improve.
When riding with friends up there we cost raced down some of the roads. All line up and starting rolling. Pretty fun to carry speed through the corners and still hit speeds of 45 and better to hear the suspension working underneath you.
06 KTM450EXC (plated) - For Sale
weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #29
KenH
User's account inactive by request
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
I have the older Z Start Pro (full kit but with the OEM cover) on my YZ250 and if the bike didn't have it on there I would either put one on it or sell the bike. Honestly, I will never own another dirt bike without one on it. I'm no racer, and honestly I don't get out enough to keep my*nasty terrain clutch skills in tip top shape, so the Rekluse just makes for a much more enjoyable ride.

Now for dual sport riding like Big Bend, all of the normal DS riding in and around the Alpine Loop in CO, and so forth; I think they are very much not needed. But for first and second gear nasty rocky off-road riding it would be my number one modification after suspension tuning.
Just the opposite, Bill. One of the first advanced off road riding skills I learned was to use the clutch and kill switch as a rear brake on down hills. Now it is such an ingrained habit I screw up what an auto clutch does. I just can't ride without screwing up an auto clutch's action, so I'd never own a bike with one. When I discipline focus I can let the auto clutches do their things, and I can see why they are so lovable, but most of my riding these days is instinct, by feel, and it is rare for me to stop, pick a line, make a plan, and execute. I pretty much look, decide if I can make it or not, and just go. I'm usually too occupied sight seeing to think about controlling the bike, it just happens instinctively. People often ask me how I did this or that, and I just get this confused look and can't really tell because I don't really know.
KenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #30
Btweaver13

There's definitely a learning curve associated with an auto-clutch. And as mentioned, it pays dividends during extended rides in technical terrain. After a couple of hours most riders adapt to the new technology and begin to appreciate the Rekluse's capabilities.

As for downhills, those accustomed to engine braking may need to drop down a gear to ensure the Rekluse is engaged. However, disc brakes are so effective that engine braking (literally required during the era of drum brakes) is nearly an afterthought. The brakes also provide greater control and better "flow" over downhill obstacles.

The Rekluse is not for everyone, and those folks riding non-technical terrain could find better ways to spend $500+. Those who ride tight woods and rocks will benefit the most from an auto-clutch's peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Btweaver13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #31
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

Assuming one has the available funds, it also might be "worth it" if your clutch is particularly stiff to operate. Clutching my WR-450 all day long makes my hand go into muscle cramps by mid afternoon.
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #32
bigjohnintexas

Hands down the best mod I've made short of custom suspension. I put a 3.0 on both my KTM 500 and my wife's KTM Freeride. Those are about as opposite types of bikes you can get and the Rekluse works great on both. On a big 4 stroke like the 500, you start riding everything in second or third, even tight trails, because there is enough available torque. Setup is key, I swapped the springs out after my second ride at SHNF and haven't touched it since. Been to Colorado twice now with them. If you feel like you need some engine breaking coming down those long mountain roads, just blip the throttle and the clutch plates engage and don't disengage until the rpms drop back down. I'll never own another bike that I can't put a Rekluse on, that's how much I love them.
bigjohnintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #33
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btweaver13 View Post
There's definitely a learning curve associated with an auto-clutch. And as mentioned, it pays dividends during extended rides in technical terrain. After a couple of hours most riders adapt to the new technology and begin to appreciate the Rekluse's capabilities.

As for downhills, those accustomed to engine braking may need to drop down a gear to ensure the Rekluse is engaged. However, disc brakes are so effective that engine braking (literally required during the era of drum brakes) is nearly an afterthought. The brakes also provide greater control and better "flow" over downhill obstacles.

The Rekluse is not for everyone, and those folks riding non-technical terrain could find better ways to spend $500+. Those who ride tight woods and rocks will benefit the most from an auto-clutch's peace of mind.

My personal problem with engine braking was when fast riding and charging a corner, at the worst moment rpm dropped to the point it would free wheel. Of course I pretty much learned to adapt but still got surprised once in a while. Some of this was worse at first as I was "cheating" and riding a gear high because I could. So it would free wheel sooner in too high of gear. So I lost the advantage of running a higher gear by staying in proper gear.
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
2016 Husqvarna TC250
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #34
Btweaver13

The "gear high" riding style does keep RPM low while maintaining speed. The bike relaxes at lower RPM, resulting in more supple suspension and and increased engine fluidity (ie less "jerky").

The freewheeling effect in corners can be used to a rider's advantage. Drive in deep, chop the throttle and step on the rear brake, since there's no worry of stalling. As the back slides around, roll the throttle, and since you're a gear high, the bike will accelerate in a deliberate fashion, but not too aggressively. Want more juice? Feather the clutch, as Rekluse has full clutch functionality as an option.

Btweaver13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #35
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

, I learned to ride it, but sold the bike and for now no intention of adding to current bike. But never know!!
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
2016 Husqvarna TC250
Old 02-06-2017, 04:31 AM   #36
KenH
User's account inactive by request
Forum Supporter

Good point about the increased effectiveness of modern brakes, My TW still has the original rear shoes with 58,000 miles on them. It's been through several sets of pads on the front. I expect if I was a newbie today and had the $$$ I'd probably go with a Rekluse or similar, but old habits die hard. The older I get the more difficult it is to adapt from one bike to another.
KenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #37
Cagiva 549

I tuned a Husky 430 auto for a friend many years ago , when I test rode it in a well used trail section thru the woods the first couple miles were spent trying to figure it out and the next few miles were way faster than I ever rode one of my bikes , brakes or gas , all or nothing slide into the berm in the corner while you roll back on the gas when it's pointed the right direction off the brakes and wfo toward the next corner then do it all over again . The only issue with the Husky is that's the only way the bike could be ridden was locked up brakes or wfo , no such thing as puttin along enjoying the scenery . I have never felt my Recluse let go and freewheel because as I'm slowing down I'm down shifting to be in the right gear when it's time to go again and on the brakes if I want to slide the wheel so what I don't kill the motor . It really shines on steep nasty up hills , trials ride up picking you line thru the rocks or blast up if it's smooth both ways work just fine and you never stall the motor . For off road it's the ultimate cheater , no need for it on the highway . I've been tossing around the idea of a electric paddle shifter but I haven't got finding neutral figured out yet .
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #38
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

never?
TORCS #70
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
2016 Husqvarna TC250
Old 02-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #39
Cagiva 549

I looked to see what I am running in my bikes , the 450 EXC is the original Rekluse , the Beta has a Core EXP 2.0 and the one for the 950 SE is a EXP 3.0 not installed yet .
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 AM   #40
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

I will be anxious to hear how it holds up, and if you like having it on a bigger bore road bike. Have an Africa Twin that I might want to put one in.
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449