• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW: Need a plastic part painted....

Let me know who and how you get the job done with... I've got some parts to paint.

We used to use Carlos at Kolor Works in Keller, but he's kinda expensive for just a small part or two.

Matching texture of the surrounding parts is important, take both pieces to the painter. I have no suggestions in Texas, sorry.

What color should that center piece be ? Mine is worn from the tank bag, let me know if you find quality.

Matching texture of the surrounding parts is important, take both pieces to the painter. I have no suggestions in Texas, sorry.

What color should that center piece be ? Mine is worn from the tank bag, let me know if you find quality.

It was silver, lol. I'd like it to be a semi-flat black.

I got quoted $100 today... to paint one piece of plastic. He told me he has to use a "fuel resistant" clear coat since it will get hit with drops of gas while fueling. I dunno.

People can say what they want about the cost of things on the beemers, but they do come with some quality paint, and matching or wanting something as nice won't be cheap. For the painter it prob doesn't matter if it's 5 x 16 or 24 x 36, it's still the same amount of labor and prob paint he'll mix up.

... it's still the same amount of labor and prob paint he'll mix up.

Correct! Matching paint often costs more than painting. Nothing unusual to invest $2500 in a paint match and $100 to prep and paint a small part or two. That's if there is no bodywork, which can really up the price if done right.

If you want flat black the best value is John Deere Blitz Black. It is formulated to resist wear and exposure and has pretty much earned itself the go-to basic from every pro painter including custom shops. A surprising number of pro painters wanting the rat rod look have even figured how to make it look ratty, which they call "patina", yet the sheet metal is still protected from rust, unlike most primers or flat black top coats that still need clear, which messes with the flat, to be water proof.

Last edited:
I drip or drizzle fuel on that piece sometimes, wonder if Krylon or another rattle can brand would hold up.

And that bike looks GREAT without a tank bag, biased opinion of course.

Know nothing about him, but got another recommendation today.
JVP Collision and KustomZ
Juan V Porras
817-454-9374

I have used ColorWorks in Keller for a fairing, but that has been about 8-9 years ago. He did very nice job. However, not sure if name has changed or he is still there. He was on 133 Sports Parkway, Suite D. The number I had no longer works and cannot seem to find. Anyone know if this guy is still there or did it change owners?

Edit: So I decide to ride out to Keller for fun before the rains come. It is now Kolor Workz at same location but no number listed on door or building. New owner or is this the same guy?

Last edited:
Hey! Can we wrap my valve cover that got damaged in the Valero adventure?

Ron just get some vinyl in flat black and stick it on!! I even have some 3m DiNoc Carbon Fauxber if you wanna try it!!!

Hey! Can we wrap my valve cover that got damaged in the Valero adventure?

James is that just a cover or does it deal with a lot of engine heat? If it doesn't get too hot wrap would work on it, might just be a bit difficult finding a color match perfectly.

Ron just get some vinyl in flat black and stick it on!! I even have some 3m DiNoc Carbon Fauxber if you wanna try it!!!

I might like to try that.

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I got three quotes, one from a bike shop, one from Color works and one from a friend's auto body shop, all over $100. It's not that big of a deal to spend a C note so at this point I am leaning towards wrapping... does it peel right off if you don't like it?

Yes sir. I am going to be around the house this weekend (until lateSunday) and can cut a piece big enough to try out what you like if you want. Not sure what your plans are but if you are around town let me know and I can swing buy. I need to get the Vstrom and run it around a little before the Kerrville shindig next week anyways.

Back