TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography > The Coffee Table

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #401
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Re: Clouds in my coffee

Charles airing down his GS1200 tire pressure

At the start of the road to Urique, a must for all heavy bikes is to reduce the tire pressure by 5-10 PSI in order to increase traction and the comfort factor when going over large rocks.

Look closely at any ADV bike you see in an ad, magazine or video where it's jumping, sliding or doing anything ambitious on dirt...see those large tread blocks? Those usually are Continental TKC80s, by far the most capable ADV tire.

motorcycleroads.com
FCBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #402
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Cooling off at 100 degrees

On the road to Urique.

motorcycleroads.com
Old 03-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #403
FCBH
Forum Supporter

The summit

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 03-26-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #404
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Looking down at Urique in the distance

The thin light line in the distance is the road going towards Urique on the left side.

The changing terrain heading towards Urique.

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 03-26-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #405
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Hotel Paraiso Escondido (Urique)

Our room was on the ground floor, with 2 single beds and an large shower room/toilet. The room was exceptionally clean, the hot water pressure was strong, the air-conditioner worked very well. No wifi in the hotel - it's all about appreciating the nature in a town like Urique!

This hotel is one of the best in town. It is within walking distance of the town center - merely 200 yard away away. We would highly recommend this place to other visitors to Urique. The cost is about $35 per night.

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 03-26-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #406
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Government building in Urique

Nestled in the very bottom of the Urique Canyon, the pueblo of Urique is the county seat (cabicera municipio) of the county that carries the same name. The word “Urique” comes from the Tarahumara word “Uli” meaning land below which to them is synonymous with hot land.

With an elevation of 549 meters (1757 ft.) Urique is characterized by a tropical climate ideal during winter months but almost unbearable during May and June when temperatures can reach 120˚F. Cooling summer rains bring a respite during the summer months. Edible products of this tropical town include peanut, grapefruit, mango, orange, papaya, lime, avocado, guaba, and plums. Seeds of the wild guamuchil tree and pitaya cactus fruit are special treats during May and June.

According to historical records, Juan Maria Salvaterra, who had arrived in Urique Canyon in 1684, became one of the first white men to arrive. Very soon after, Spainard, Juan Tarango Vallejo arrived and is credited with the founding of Urique on January 12, 1690. In the same year, he also claimed gold deposits in the neighboring town of Cusihuiriachi, which continued administering claims until 1731. In the mid 1800’s, during the Farcical Pastry War, Urique was the only battle between French and Mexican troops according to Canyon Travel.

Urique received long distance telephone service in May, 1995. Local telephone service was installed in 2001. Power lines reached the town in fall, 2001. Prior to then, a diesel generator that operated several hours per night provided electricity.

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 03-26-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #407
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Church in Urique

motorcycleroads.com
Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #408
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Main street in Urique

We wondered why there was a large pile of gravel on every block. We learned later it was used to create a tope. Due to increase tourism to the area, it is an effective way to reduce excessive speed on the road by cars and motorcycles.

Tope is the Spanish word for a speed bump, or "sleeping policeman" as the British affectionately call them. Topes are pervasive on Mexican roads, and they come in varying heights, from minuscule to mountainous. With our adventure bikes large amount of suspension travel they were not an issue, but those riding a sport bike or a cruiser style bike, will often experience a very shocking experience if you are not traveling at sufficiently slow speeds.

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 03-26-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #409
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Industrial services (Urique)

motorcycleroads.com
Old 03-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #410
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Restaurant advertisement in Urique

motorcycleroads.com
Old 03-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #411
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Another view of the Urique town center

It was time now to say goodbye to Urique and all the wonderful people we encountered in Mexico. We did a run to the Texas border via this 400 mile route.

RB

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 03-28-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #412
Jeff S
Forum Supporter

Well done on the ride, photos, and write up!
Old 03-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #413
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Smile Re: Clouds in my coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Well done on the ride, photos, and write up!
Thanks Jeff! It truly was all that I expected and them some....

RB

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 03-28-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #414
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Navigating the vastness of Copper Canyon

(Do I detect a Texas ADV sticker on the back of this GS? Git'em here).

Route: This is a set of destinations that basically says to the GPS, here is where I want to start and end my trip, you Mr. Garmin decide how to get me there.

Track: This GPS term is basically a set of many points (...the "breadcrumb" trail) that is displayed on the screen but many GPS can do nothing with on it's own. YOU just follow the "breadcrumb" displayed on the screen. A track can be created either ON the GPS unit (to show where I went today on my motorcycle) or loaded to the GPS to allow it to be displayed and navigated.

It is the GPS device itself that determines whether the unit can follow routes and tracks or just routes or just tracks.

Maps: Garmin maps are created by the Garmin Corporation and come in two basic forms. Topographic (providing surface contour) embedded and City Navigator (CN) which are mainly roads. Although the details in the CN series are sufficient in the US for "most" off road riding. Maps can either be routing or non-routing. This means that the maps contains the information necessary for the GPS to calculate a route and allow the GPS to navigate it.

The issue with Garmin maps is that there can be a lot of roads that were closed or whose status has changed from public to private etc and no longer exist. Based on my many navigation mistakes, never 100% trust a GPS.

It is good to have a paper map to cross-check sources. Based on this Mexico trip to the Copper Canyon, the Garmin unit did not seem to highlight many roads and was often incorrect or lacking on local points of reference such as motels and gasoline stations. Some adventure riders enjoy using BiciMapas that are compatible with most Garmin devices. Some riders claim is has much more details in terms of roads and highlight special gas stops.

There is ONE indipensable smart phone mapping application that was worth it's weight in gold, it's called Maps.Me. You can easily keep it's maps updated from the OpenSource mapping project. I also found the option to download the latest OpenSource map to your Garmin device via this incredible resource.

Software: Some makes supply software that allows you to create tracks/routes and upload to the GPS. BaseCamp is the Garmin software. Some swear by it, other swear at it. You can also download tracks / routes from the GPS to the software and save them away for future use.

I still have a copy of the ancient MapSource I use on a regular basis to render tracks and routes very quickly.

Folks that's all my pictures for this trip to Copper Canyon! We had a great time in Mexico and look forward to returning one day.

Happy Trails,

RB

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 03-28-2017 at 05:55 PM.