• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 Africa Twin DCT for sale

Yeah, if you're not an off-road rider, it's tough to develop the skills on a heavy adventure bike. It can take a street guy hundreds of hours to generate a comfort level on the dirt, as the bike is almost constantly "in extremis". Meanwhile, dirt guys jump on road bikes and adapt fairly quickly, because their central nervous system has adapted to the environment.

I'll echo Scott's comments. I came to dirt biking late after years and years of sport biking. I thought the transition would be easy - heck I ride expert at track days I know what I'm doing. WRONG. Totally different set of skills, but that can be learned.

I just got back from Copper Canyon and did the rode between Batopilas and Urique on a 1200 GS. It was a challenge, but having full knobbies and good suspension made it doable and even fun. I rode the same bike on River Road this weekend at BBNP - easy breezy. Gravel was a bit of a challenge, but I think the weight of the bike actually helped.

All of this to say that when I first start riding dirt I thought it sucked. I thought this is not for me - I'm not wired this way. I am in NO WAY an expert off roader, but I have gotten much, much more comfortable and I have learned that tire choice and tire PRESSURE make a huge difference. Put some kobbies on that bad boy and drop it down to 18 lbs or so and then go ride some dirt roads. Your brain wires will begin to adjust, you will get used to riding with loose traction.

Anyway, don't give up on dirt, it is a learned skill - don't expect it to come right away.
You guys are going to have me talked into keeping it.

Yeah, he's getting free "bumps" :-P

That's what I was thinking :rider:

Well it HAD been all positive :doh:

:lol2:

every bike will present challenges don`t give up at 3300 miles...
Momentum is your friend on dirt roads-
agreed with everyone here on tires and air psi in them makes or breaks the bike in terms of rid-ability (dirt roads) tires are an added cost already sooner than later maybe in your case IDK.

GLWS BUT if you decide to keep hope you can go ride perhaps.. not to far & quiet dirt roads around areas North Montgomery always fun and no drama.:trust:

i-WWGCnjM.jpg

One epic No Country reference after another. Well done, gentlemen. Well done. On a related note, I believe there's a motorcycle for sale in this thread. GLWS!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJ1zHNryJk"]Family guy javier bardem haircut - YouTube[/ame]

Ok, this is a for sale thread not a story telling thread folks.
You can tell him all the stories you want as you are handing over the cash!

You can tell him all the stories you want as you are handing over the cash!

Sorry Leon... I couldn't resist.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRl_sBg6GX8"]Copy of Short Version of Show Me the Money! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Back