• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$5.00 per gallon gas strategy

Wally, I totally respect your wife's spine. That's why I would never throw paint on your car. Well, I wouldn't anyway, but you know what I mean. I picked the commute distance because that's what I drove for 30+ years. That's the distance from south Arlington to downtown Dallas, to the Regal Row area, and to Los Colinas - my three primary commutes. It's a common commute distance in the Metromess and, for many people, their outside acceptable limit.

You're right - moving is a poor option, especially given that, in an era when people have to change jobs too frequently, they may have to work in many different areas. It's not financially feasible to sell your house and move closer if you have to change jobs or locations every five years. But in DFW, it's also not feasible for most professionals to say they'll only work in Arlington, or McKinney, or Plano.

So, we drive. That's why my philosophy has always been -- buy a comfortable but efficient commuter car and run it into the ground. And buy a vacation vehicle, but don't put unnecessary miles on it. Worked for me for 35 years. Your results may vary.....

Tim: i was not refering about you in my rant[it was a quote from another poster]. Please forgive. And YoDoc,
i also appreciate your understanding along with Tim!:sun::rider:
Now please send some great riding weather my way!

I wonder if there are going to be more low cc bikes to combat high prices so I visited the local Suz-Kawa dealer yesterday. Nope. The only small street legal bike was a KLX250 (I want it) and a DR650 and KLR650 (want them too). The rest were monster bikes like the Vulcan 1700cc. Seems these guys would have a TU250 or two but they didn't. It tells me that America still does not want these little tools. The showroom was empty of customers but it was raining.

When I was looking to buy my TU250, I had to educate the sales staff that it even existed. Most of the dealerships around here focus on the bigger bikes for the image-conscious, I guess. Of course, when I'm being more charitable I understand that big cruisers basically sell themselves and bring in a bigger profit margin...

I'm not even sure who said what, but I am pretty sure that I don't get mad at people for not knowing a situation, or for offering general advice. What irks me is:

Me: "Man, this situation sucks."
Other Guy: "Did you try A,B,C, and D?"
Me: "I tried A and B, and C and D aren't options for reasons E and F."
Other Guy :"Well, you COULD do C or D, you just don't want to."

*transitioning into fantasy realm here*
Me: "Oh, my bad. I guess I just didn't grasp that ANYTHING is an option when you aren't the one making the decisions or paying for the consequences. Now come here so I can choke the life out of your face."

When I was looking to buy my TU250, I had to educate the sales staff that it even existed. Most of the dealerships around here focus on the bigger bikes for the image-conscious, I guess. Of course, when I'm being more charitable I understand that big cruisers basically sell themselves and bring in a bigger profit margin...

Also, not many people can road trip a TU250. My 250 lb butt, with luggage, and a head wind... I'd probably never get out of 2nd gear...

Or freeway riding. Trying to coax a 250cc cruiser up to freeway speeds with me on it is a daunting prospect, and one that I am not eager to explore. A 250cc sport bike is a whole other beast, but I won't ride one for the same reasons I won't ride any sport bike.

I'm gonna road trip the **** out of my 250... As much as my time schedule allows, anyway! (refer to "Minimalist Touring Thread" on ADV... :sun:) It's really all about one's point of reference. I'm coming off of a 150cc scooter and used to commute in a 71 VW Beetle that would barely do 60mph.

I don't find the TU250 to be too bad on the freeway. It starts running out of breath at around the same point that the wind starts making things uncomfortable. I'm 6'2", 180lbs so YMMV... :rider:

Also, not many people can road trip a TU250. My 250 lb butt, with luggage, and a head wind... I'd probably never get out of 2nd gear...

Or freeway riding. Trying to coax a 250cc cruiser up to freeway speeds with me on it is a daunting prospect, and one that I am not eager to explore. A 250cc sport bike is a whole other beast, but I won't ride one for the same reasons I won't ride any sport bike.

I used to run a XR250 on the highway for a 20 mile commute at 70mph, and I was running 230-240lbs at the time. I don't know if I would do a trip over an hour at 70mph, but the idea that they won't get out of 2nd is just crazy.(I know you're exaggerating, but there really are a lot of people that don't think a 250 can pull 55mph) Lack of experience with them is a big part of the problem, in my opinion.

Oh, I don't doubt that it CAN be done, just not by me. I literally wouldn't ride it. I like long distance, too, so that makes another no-no. Unless you like the "minimalist touring" thing. I mean, I did most of the BRP on a Sportster, camping every night, but a Sporty is a Goldwing compared to some of the stuff those guys ride! Lol.

I should have been more clear about the SUV vs mini vans. I was talking about the larger, original SUVs like the Suburbans, Expeditions and high passenger SUVs. The new one are "crossovers" and look to me like a cross between a 60s Ford SW and a early 80s hatchback. Those I expect good mileage from but not room to carry 6 in comfort with gear.

Truth. 2007 RAV4 we had before the new kiddo came along: 4banger, front wheel drive. 5 seats, but one would be VERY cramped. Not too much "S" in that SUV...

I should have been more clear about the SUV vs mini vans. I was talking about the larger, original SUVs like the Suburbans, Expeditions and high passenger SUVs. The new one are "crossovers" and look to me like a cross between a 60s Ford SW and a early 80s hatchback. Those I expect good mileage from but not room to carry 6 in comfort with gear.

The only original one on that list is the Suburban, all the other original SUVs of that size are dead now and have been for some time - the Travelall, Wagoneer, Bronco, etc., etc. :P

Yeah, and in the place of all those OG giants we now have the Yukon, Expedition, H2...

The Yukon is a cut-down Suburban (go look, it's shorter!), the Expedition is a replacement for the Bronco and the H2 is a Yukon with a body kit. And it's long out of production - last H2 was made in 2009 and they killed the brand entirely two years ago this May.

If your objective was to say we'd replaced them with bigger vehicles... not so much. :P

Ever seen an Expedition EL? HUGE!

Yup. But the EL stands for "Extended Length" and was created to more or less match the Suburban. Which is, surprise, still larger.

Attempts to make an SUV larger than the Suburban failed. Remember the Excursion? It was a commercial failure, and few were sold outside Texas - mostly because they do not fit in garages. They didn't sell all that many here, for that matter.

Bottom line is that the Suburban is still about as big as it gets and the supermajority of the "monster" SUVs running around are smaller than the Suburban, despite peoples' perceptions to the contrary.

I used to have an Expedition. Loved it. When I was clearing Ft. Bragg, I had just bought it. I parked way out in the middle of nowhere in the PLot. When I came out from my appt, there was an Excursion parked next to me, backing out of a spot. I am not exaggerating at all when I say that the man's wife was using military hand signals to ground guide him out of the spot...

I used to have an Expedition. Loved it. When I was clearing Ft. Bragg, I had just bought it. I parked way out in the middle of nowhere in the PLot. When I came out from my appt, there was an Excursion parked next to me, backing out of a spot. I am not exaggerating at all when I say that the man's wife was using military hand signals to ground guide him out of the spot...

Not surprising, but you've just touched on part of why it was a failure in the market.

Neat that she knew how to ground guide if she wasn't military. :D

Tim: i was not refering about you in my rant[it was a quote from another poster]. Please forgive. And YoDoc,
i also appreciate your understanding along with Tim!
Now please send some great riding weather my way!

No sweat and no offense taken, Wally. Actually, I just took it as a statement of limitation of vehicles, nothing more. By the way, it's 45 and rainy here today. You don't want what we have at the moment.

and the H2 is a Yukon with a body kit. .....with lower gas mileage, less passenger space, and less luggage space - at least according to Edmunds. Not much to recommend it unless you thrive on the Urban Assault look. The Excursion is, I believe, the length of an F250 longbed supercab. My sister-in-law has one (F250). It takes two of us to get it into her garage, with less than 3" each front and back remaining. Why does she have an F250? My dad gave it to her. It pulls her Coleman trailer nicely, and actually with the diesel engine, she gets better mileage than I do with my Grand.

Speaking of Urban Assault Vehicles (tm), what's up with police vehicles these days? Those big mid-cities SUV's look almost as if they should have anti-aircraft guns mounted on the roof! :mrgreen:

I know when I've crossed into Bedford when I see those. Here in Euless we're still using ten year old SUV's that just look like SUV's. And cars. It seems like we're the last of the HEB to still use Crown Vics...

Why does she have an F250? My dad gave it to her. It pulls her Coleman trailer nicely, and actually with the diesel engine, she gets better mileage than I do with my Grand.

The diesel engine is one reason why I got an F350 instead of an F150 this time by. Bigger truck (F150s of the era did not come in crew cab), more capable, immensely stronger and more durable drivetrain/suspension - plus actually better fuel economy. Pretty much a no-brainer if you throw in multiple-fuel capability.

I'm gonna road trip the **** out of my 250... As much as my time schedule allows, anyway! (refer to "Minimalist Touring Thread" on ADV... :sun:) It's really all about one's point of reference. I'm coming off of a 150cc scooter and used to commute in a 71 VW Beetle that would barely do 60mph.

I don't find the TU250 to be too bad on the freeway. It starts running out of breath at around the same point that the wind starts making things uncomfortable. I'm 6'2", 180lbs so YMMV... :rider:

If a 250 doesn't go fast enough, then the road is too darn straight.

Seriously, I'm going back to a smaller, lighter, better mpg motorcycle if I ever get rid of the ZRX. Big is way over-rated. These big heavy gas guzzling mega cruisers sort of miss the whole point of a motorcycle.....a light weight, easy to manuver and park, fuel efficient alternative to a car.
Small motorcycles are an absolute blast to ride.

If a 250 doesn't go fast enough, then the road is too darn straight.

Seriously, I'm going back to a smaller, lighter, better mpg motorcycle if I ever get rid of the ZRX. Big is way over-rated. These big heavy gas guzzling mega cruisers sort of miss the whole point of a motorcycle.....a light weight, easy to manuver and park, fuel efficient alternative to a car.
Small motorcycles are an absolute blast to ride.

They aren't as comfy, though. Which is why I ride a mid-weight cruiser, and drive a mid-weight car.

It's funny to me how many people bash cruisers, or bash sport bikes, but if you look at the cars they like, well, let's just say that their preferences are a bit skewed.

For instance, I like Corvettes. I also like the new ZX14. I'm never going to own either, because I like them from a distance. I'd love to drive one, but only once or twice. The ones I get a kick out of owning and driving every day are big old land boats. That goes for cars and bikes both. If I could own any two cars and any two motorcycles, I'd have a 1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible, a 1968 Oldsmobile 442, a 1959 Harley all touring rigged out, and a power cruiser along the lines of a V-Rod or M109R or V-Max.

Now, I would definitely take anything out there for a spin or three, but everybody likes different stuff. I'd no more ride a 250 cruiser everyday than I would drive an old Ford Fiesta everyday. Both vehicles do what they do very nicely, it's just not what I want to do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, mega billet barges have their place in the biker world, just like 65 Caddy's.

Hey now, don't knock the Ford Fiesta, they were fun little cars. Just make sure you carry a spare electronic ignition module around with you if you own one.

Not surprising, but you've just touched on part of why it was a failure in the market.

Neat that she knew how to ground guide if she wasn't military. :D

The excursion was an excellemt tow vehicle, the only normal SUV with a diesel.

TU250 is infinitely more road worthy than a mid 60s Honda 305. Think about Pirsig and Zen.

Back