Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #21
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: We Survived MOAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
For several minutes after leaving MOAMP, I could hear his labored breathing through the headset. The ordeal had used a lot of energy.
Been there, done that! It is truly amazing how quickly you can burn a LOT of energy when struggling with a bike, especially if it is warm and humid outside. Once that happens, it is really hard to continue riding if the way is not REAL easy from that point on. I am glad you guys got the bike, and yourselves, out of there. It could easily have gotten really ugly...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:43 AM   #22
Vinny
Forum Supporter

JT and AR.....always an adventure.
Great write up. I guess you are going to tell us how the bike is doing soon

Why didn't the 690 go? 3 rail trailer = spare bike
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #23
gixxerjasen

Mmmm, buttermilk pie at the Oark Cafe. Where are the pie pictures?
Past Bikes: 1997 Katana 600-wrecked | 2000 CBR600F4-Stolen | 2001 GSX-R600-Stolen | 1989 Honda CB1-Sold | 2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Traded | 1992 Suzuki Bandit 400-Sold | 2004 Suzuki GSX-R600-Sold | 2007 Suzki DR-Z400SM-Traded | 2003 Yamaha FZ1-Wrecked | 2003 Yamaha FZ1 II-Sold | 1992 Suzuki Bandit 400 - Sold |
2006 Suzuki DR-Z434SM - Traded
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #24
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
JT and AR.....always an adventure.
Great write up. I guess you are going to tell us how the bike is doing soon

Why didn't the 690 go? 3 rail trailer = spare bike
Thanks, Vinny.

Had planned to take both. At the last minute, I opted to leave O Orange One behind I was very happy with the 250 for the riding we did. If I could stay longer, would want the 690...

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

"Due to circumstances beyond my control,
I am master of my fate and captain of my soul."

Hemingway's Invictus, with a modern twist

"There's lots of things along the road
I'd surely like to see
I'd like to lean into the wind
And tell myself I'm free"

Townes Van Zandt
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #25
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

To resume... We've got the bike out of the mud, it is running and we are riding away.

We're not in the clear yet as there were a couple more river crossings to deal with. We play it cautious, walking through on foot to check the best course and then, John power walked the bikes through one at a time. Either by himself or me ‘running defense’ on the off side.

The ones he did by himself, I video'd...

It was 5:45 when we hit pavement and a 45 minute ride back to camp. It was a quiet ride back, not much of the chatter we usually engage in. I was wrapping my head the possibility of our riding being cut short. John was probably dealing with that and also trying not to think about how cold he was.

gina

I'd surely like to see

Townes Van Zandt
Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #26
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

In Clarkesville, we pulled into a car wash and hosed down not only JT’s bike but JT as well. It really was a good way to clean the mud off his pants, jacket and gloves. But it did leave him even more chilled.

At camp, I pushed him toward the showers while I made simple dinner of canned beans and grilled sausage. Tomorrow we will assess the bike….

Next day, we both slept late. John did not stir til 9am. The morning is cool, clear and breezy. Priorities--John is online, searching for a replacement phone. His got ruined in MOAMP. (The contents of his wallet are spread out to dry on the floorboard of the truck. And all our riding gear is spread out on the trailer to dry.

The majority of the day is spent gathering supplies and performing multiple oil changes.

"We thought you was a toad."

Late afternoon, we go for a ride and the bike runs normally. It is not burning oil but it remains unclear as to whether the engine has been damaged.

We stop for gas and chat with a couple of riders.

We visit Horsehead Lake and falls. Beautiful!

(sorry about the thumb...)

gina

I'd surely like to see

Townes Van Zandt
Old 04-20-2017, 01:05 AM   #27
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I was once told to drain the bad oil and use either diesel or kerosene to flush the oil system until it comes out clean, then refill with new oil. This is MUCH cheaper than buying new oil and repeatedly flushing with new oil until it comes out clean. I've not tried this, but it came from two guys that were long time riders and racers. We were being told this because one of them had just totally submerged an XR400 up to the handle bars! They used it as an opportunity to teach the group how to clear and refire a bike after ingesting water. Carrying a small can of WD-40 or starter fluid is also a good idea if you know you will be doing water crossings. Once you get the plug(s) pulled and the water pumped out, use the spray on the plug and cylinder to help displace the water. This makes it MUCH easier to get the bike to fire again!!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For July: $112.85 - Previous Month: $628.38 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 134 Current Forum Supporters out of 20447 Users (0.66%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #28
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Gina and JT, what an adventure and fantastic job of taking us with you! My feet feel cold and wet just watching the videos.

Sure hope your XR is fine. Great job of keeping everything moving forward!
2017 Yamaha XT250 (wife's bike)
1969 CT90
1984 Jeep CJ5 (it's her' but she lets me drive it sometimes)
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #29
Vinny
Forum Supporter

At first I laughed, by the 3rd video I felt bad for you guys . Then I realized ......no story without the drama .

Glad the bikes are fine . Sorry about the phone , that always sucks .
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #30
misterk

Great write up...thanks
misterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #31
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
At first I laughed, by the 3rd video I felt bad for you guys . Then I realized ......no story without the drama .
Drama = Adventure riding

It's not adventure without the challenges...

Quote:

Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #32
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Thanks for the comments y'all.

Was going to do the final installment tonight but it has gotten too late...

Will hafta wait til after the Junction TARA camp and ride.

gina

I'd surely like to see

Townes Van Zandt