• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 CTX700

Is that an Adventure DN-01?

I kid, decent looking bike.
Glad to see some focus on 'normal' bikes by all the brands. Hyper exotics are cool, but a cheap, reliable bike is what most people really need.

More of Honda answering questions that nobody is asking?

I like it. The US market is basically of little importance for cycle manufacturers. Kudos to Honda for bringing out different models here in the US

Looks to me like a re-invention of the old CB line. Basic bike.

Weird, it doesn't look like that at all to me. Looks like a cross between a cruiser and that new hot rod Goldwing (:lol2:). Pegs are way forward. I could almost get it if it had a standard riding position.

The American market is changing, the average new rider age is dropping.
The #1 selling Kawasaki last year was the 250 ninja, the #1 selling Honda was the cbr250.

A 250 has not been Hondas or Kawasaki's #1 selling bike for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not my cup of tea, but at least they didn't equip it with a hydramatic transmission like the DN01 and try charging BMW prices.

That's just an ugly bike with no discernable purpose. What rider is that made for?

It looks like a mid-sized sport tourer to me. Good to see something in the under-750 niche besides sport bikes and a few adventure tourers.

Ok, I'll try to say something positive. I'm glad to see DCT making it's way to more vehicles. That can only make the technology less expensive, perform better, and be more reliable in the end, so that we can see it spread even further.

After reading a couple of "first looks" from MC websites, I can make some guesses.

I think Honda wants to sell more worldbikes and fewer bikes purpose built for the US market. I also think they want to promote the DCT by getting it into a low-cost bike - that necessarily means a worldbike, in order to get high enough volume sales to offer a low base price. It's also likely, based on some reading, that the CTX700 will be a platform for some spinoffs, as well a a jumping-off place for more more expensive, and probably higher displacement bikes, built along the same general lines.

The 3.17 gallon tank is a puzzler, but let's wait and see what the mileage will be like. Honda appears to be concentrating on getting their midsized bike mileages up into the 60s. That would give this bike a range of close to 175 miles; many Americans are currently plying the highways on cruisers that are lucky to hit 140 miles before reserve.

In short, I think Honda is less interested in following the American market with this bike than in cultivating an American interest in a world market. Will they be successful? Who knows? Honda has always been a longterm strategy player. They don't necessarily have to see huge sales numbers in order to get where they're trying to go.

My guess. And that's all it is.....

Not sure why range is always such an issue. I rarely go much past 100 miles before I need a pit stop, never mind what the bike can do. There aren't too many stretches of hwy in the US with gas stations farther than 80 miles apart anyway.

Personally, I'd rather not have 50 lbs of fuel sloshing around in a 7 gal tank, unless I absolutely need it.

All depends on the riding. I'm occasionally hampered by my gas tank on my FJR wishing it were a little bigger. If I don't have coffee before I hop on board I can most times outlast my tank.

Plus, as a commuter, I'd be filling up all the time on that thing. With a 60 mile round trip commute, that 3 gallon tank will go pretty quickly. Even if it could get 175 miles, that's not enough for three days of commuting, so at a minimum I'd be filling up every other day.

But in the end, it all depends on the target market. It's no touring bike with a 3 gallon tank. However, and around town bike in Europe might make sense with that capacity.

I'll be the first to say... I don't get it. :-?

I'll second that. Maybe it's early, and not enough coffee, but a confusing bike all the same. It's like the dullville meets that scooter bike hybrid thing they came out with a couple years back.

I like it, just not sure on the forward peg positioning. It would be cool to see somebody make pegs that can be relocated (like Harley Sportsters).

Just give me another bracket to locate the pegs in a standard position and offer the different linkages required as accessories, and I think I'd like it.

It looks like a mid-sized sport tourer to me. Good to see something in the under-750 niche besides sport bikes and a few adventure tourers.

Sport? With forward controls?

Tourer? With a 3 gallon tank?

Back