• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR sprockets and chain

dbdolan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Dolan
I was inspecting the bike today and noticed that my front sprocket was toast, I am missing about half of all the teeth except 3. The rear sprocket and chain still looks okay but I just rolled over 17,000 miles and I think it is time to replace them. I read somewhere that it is best to replace both sprockets and the chain so that is what I am looking to do. Have any of you KLR guy's or gal's done this yet? What and where do you recommend getting the parts? Also do you recommend replacing the nut and washer on the front?
Here is the front.
sprocket004.jpg

Here is the rear chain and sprocket.
sprocket007.jpg

Has anyone bought anything from klr650.com? They have a smoking' deal on a kit that includes sprockets, chain, and bead breaker. I am just not sure about the quality. Any ideas?

Bryan

I bought the mirror dampers from klr650.com. After 2 or 3 adjustments I got most of the viberation out. The left one is almost perfect, probably because it's mounted on a Dual-Star mirror relocator/clutch purch. Others have posted that they broke the viberation dampers during installation and they are junk. I'm sure you know that klr650.com is not even mentioned or written out on the KLR Board! Keep us posted on your experiences, I too am planning on going to a 14 tooth front sprocket before I return to Colorado next summer. The stock gearing is not low enough for some of the situations I get into.

Leon

SpringerMan said:
Bryan

I bought the mirror dampers from klr650.com. After 2 or 3 adjustments I got most of the viberation out. The left one is almost perfect, probably because it's mounted on a Dual-Star mirror relocator/clutch purch. Others have posted that they broke the viberation dampers during installation and they are junk. I'm sure you know that klr650.com is not even mentioned or written out on the KLR Board! Keep us posted on your experiences, I too am planning on going to a 14 tooth front sprocket before I return to Colorado next summer. The stock gearing is not low enough for some of the situations I get into.

Leon
Yeah I bought some of those mirror dampners off of ebay. They worked okay but only lasted about 6 months. As far as the sprockets and chain, I have yet to decide on what or where to get them from. Hoping someone will chime in and give me some suggestions on what to get.

dbdolan said:
I was inspecting the bike today and noticed that my front sprocket was toast, I am missing about half of all the teeth except 3.

I find it amazing you were still able to get down the road. Those KLRs sure are tough!

Bryan, Im using a DID x ring that I bought from Rocky Mountain ATV Its holding up very well after 9000 miles and I would recomened it. Before that I had an RK xring that only lasted about 8000 miles not sure why the RK toasted so fast but Ill never buy another one. As far as sprokets go Ive never changed my rear but have used the sunstar brand countersprockets from arrowhead motorsports in both 14 &15 tooth they hold up very well. Ive always used the same nut and washer with no problems.

greengoose said:
Bryan, Im using a DID x ring that I bought from Rocky Mountain ATV Its holding up very well after 9000 miles and I would recomened it. Before that I had an RK xring that only lasted about 8000 miles not sure why the RK toasted so fast but Ill never buy another one. As far as sprokets go Ive never changed my rear but have used the sunstar brand countersprockets from arrowhead motorsports in both 14 &15 tooth they hold up very well. Ive always used the same nut and washer with no problems.

is this the chain you bought?
DID 520 X-RING Chain 520x106
Our price: $82.99
Part# DX520106
Also, did you get the clip style master link or did you use the rivet style.

dbdolan said:
is this the chain you bought?
DID 520 X-RING Chain 520x106
Our price: $82.99
Part# DX520106
Also, did you get the clip style master link or did you use the rivet style.

Thats the one -I got the rivet style and had a friend at a local shop press it together for $5 then dropped the swingarm (needed greese anyway) to put it on the bike.

I tend to approach it slightly different depending on weather its for the street or dirt bike. The street bikes I use the best chain either DID or RK has. Its more expensive, but it lasts. On the dirt bike, I figure I am going to tear up the chain much quicker in the dirt and my dirt bike is not as street worthy as yours is. I use a cheaper chain on the dirt bike. I do keep an extra washer for the dirt bike though. I have broken that lil bent tab a few times, so I try to use the old one again, but if it looks done I use my new one.

Well I spent all day replacing both sprockets with some high end sunstar front and year. I also installed a Prevailing Torque Countershaft Locknut instead of the stock washer and nut. I also got the DID 520 VM gold Xring chain installed, but before all that I dropped the swingarm and cleaned and greased all bearings and long bolts and reinstalled. The only problem I had was with the long bolt that goes through the pivot point for the swingarm. Kawasaki barely used any grease on the bolts and it was seized up so I had to beat it until I finally freed it but I mushroomed the threads from the force it took to free it.
t020.jpg

t008.jpg

t011.jpg

I went over to Basebill's house and he helped me grind the bolt and rework the threads. It worked pretty well and I was able to savalge the bolt. Thank's Bill
The threads are just about flush with the nut after being torched down. I took it for a spin and man it is smooth and quiet (except for 606's howling) what a difference. Course having more than 3 teeth left on the front sprocket and a new chain makes a big difference.

Back