• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Merged - Loud Pipes Threads

Thread jack??? maybe we can add these old tings to our stock, EPA approved mufflers???

;-)

Bubb Rubb represent! Whoo Whooooooooo! Perfect for a cop bike!

I have so many things I want to say but that will just get me in trouble ...got to resist the urge to say ... I think I'll just step away from the keyboard and get me a nice lunch.

:doh:

Thread jack??? maybe we can add these old tings to our stock, EPA approved mufflers???

;-)

Two things hit me while watching this...

One, doesn't Kawasaki already install this on certain KLR's?

And two, I feel the need for some 34" rims on my truck.

Ahh hah hah ha hah hah hahhhh

Tweety goes chirp chirp chirp while the whistle goes woooo woooooo:sun:

Has anybody checked their stock exhaust for an EPA stamp?

The aftermarket Akras on my KTM sport an E1 Euro emission compliance stamp, but the stock silencer does not have even that stamp let alone an epa stamp. Both the stock pipes and the aftermarket pipes on my Triumph have epa stamps. Kim's Triumph has the EPA stamp, but neither the stockers nor the aftermarket Termis on her Ducati are stamped.

I think the whole story is a put up, um "Bubb Rubb"? Aw, c'mon....
and where did they find white people to interview in Oakland, I thought they all lived across the creek in SF....:doh:
:duck:

Now here is something I found very interesting. This ad appears in the October 1977 issue of American Motorcyclist Magazine (Page 16). I actually read about this ad in the latest issue and thought I'd look it up on Google Books. It's a full-page MIC ad, some 33 years old now, that illustrates well the venerable status of motorcycle noise as a social issue.

I'm not wanting to restart the argument -- I simply found this to be an engaging ad, and thought you all would find it somewhat thought-provoking.

MICNoiseAd1977Small.jpg

I liked this one from Harley myself.

H-DNoiseBrochure.jpg

It's interesting how the tone of the ads has changed over time. 35 years ago, it was harder to pass draconian legislation. These days, it has become a snap as collectivism has permeated society. There's definitely more of an attitude of urgency in the newer messages compared to in decades past.

It's interesting how the tone of the ads has changed over time. 35 years ago, it was harder to pass draconian legislation. These days, it has become a snap as collectivism has permeated society. There's definitely more of an attitude of urgency in the newer messages compared to in decades past.

I wonder, how much of that can be attributed to the baby boomer flower children transitioning into the establishment as opposed to fighting it?

It does raise a good point that we have attempted self regulation since the late 60s and we still have a problem. Looking at it that way, legislation is almost inevitable. Dang, that's depressing to say out loud. :suicide:

I just sent my Price Sloan Guzzi header to Ayers.....the ceramic should quieten it down a bit.....:lol2:

The National Park Service is currently looking at noise impact from motorcycles, possibly with an eye to more regulation. Can't say that I blame them.

I remember riding sweep through Bastrop a while back. There were six or seven bikes riding through this neighborhood and a couple were very loud. It was a nice day and several people out working in their yards bothered to take the time, look up and wave the Hawaiian peace sign as we went by. It's bad form, anyway you look at it.

Last edited:
The National Park Service is currently looking at noise impact from motorcycles, possibly with an eye to more regulation. Can't say that I blame them.

I remember riding sweep through in Bastrop a while back. There were six or seven bikes riding through this neighborhood and a couple were very loud. It was a nice day and several people out working in their yards bothered to take the time, look up and wave the Hawaiian peace sign as we went by. It's bad form, anyway you look at it.

Yup, just gotta remember the golden rule.....and then follow it.
:zen:

Wow, waking the dead in an old thread, are we? Think I said my piece long ago. Both my bikes have stock mufflers on 'em, put it that way. I get just as irritated as those folks waving the Hawaiian peace sign when noisy folks are bothering me, be it a boom box in a car, a loud motorcycle, or just the neighbor weed eating when I'm trying to watch TV. :lol2:

Wow, waking the dead in an old thread, are we? Think I said my piece long ago. Both my bikes have stock mufflers on 'em, put it that way. I get just as irritated as those folks waving the Hawaiian peace sign when noisy folks are bothering me, be it a boom box in a car, a loud motorcycle, or just the neighbor weed eating when I'm trying to watch TV. :lol2:

You forgot to mention the leaf blowers that loudly blow your neighbors debris onto the street so it can end up in your yard.

Put Vance and Hines Straightshots on the Shadow 750 yesterday. Holy loud pipes batman! Theres loud, and.......**** ****, thats loud. These are the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put Vance and Hines Straightshots on the Shadow 750 yesterday. Holy loud pipes batman! Theres loud, and.......**** ****, thats loud. These are the latter.

I had those on my Suzuki 1500LC for a short while. :eek2: Too much. I ended up with Roadhouse 2 into 1 and was very happy with sound and noise level. :zen:

Back