• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

I discovered the perfect motorcycle camping lantern at Lowes today.
06E5ABD8-FBA7-4FF9-A6E0-D4623D80ADEA_zpsvbaacoid.jpg

6324647A-C9AD-46F8-817D-FAB5F77F5F5F_zpsrcykod1e.jpg

Solar charged lithium powered inflatable LED lantern!
Luci inflatable solar lantern
www.mpowerd.com

10 LED's 65 lumen 4 ounces IP 67 rated water proof

How much?

$14.97 from Lowe's website for my zip code. I like the idea but the big question is...how do you keep it charged when it is packed inside your bag all day long during daylight and only comes out at night to use? Great if you can keep it out in the sun around the house or around the campsite all day but m/c travel packed away in darkness wont work.

_

Last edited:
You just set out on your picnic table at the end of your journey, and let it charge. The REAL question is does it put out enough light for tired old eyes to read a paperback book while lying in the sack at night? Leon, you'll have to give us a report after you've tested it.

You just set out on your picnic table at the end of your journey, and let it charge...

But if the end of your journey comes at dusk or later how does that work? Yes set up camp and stay for a day or more no problem but if you're traveling and only stopping overnight would never get a recharge. I suppose you could pull it out during fuel and food stops during the day but that would be a hassle.

I would like to know how long the batteries last after a full charge and how long it takes to achieve a full charge on a sunny Texas summer day. Maybe a daily recharge is not really needed.

_

Wonder what they cost at Lowes? Maybe that was the retail price?

About traveling and stuffing it into a pack - these look like tiny wires that could easily vibrate loose. Maybe a bit dainty for the pannier but for those of us who love to trailer to the campsite, this is a pretty dandy little light.

Living in DFW, I much prefer trailering and then riding after. Works most of the time (Uncles) but not all the time (Want to do ET450).

Wonder what they cost at Lowes? Maybe that was the retail price?..

I edited my post, $14.97 was from Lowe's website. From the manufacturer's website I did see a smaller "emergency" version of the light for $9.99 MSRP. The MSRP for Lowes $15 light was $20.

_

If I'm in the Jeep I might spring for the space an airmatress eats up but on the bike I keep it to inflatable sleeping pads. Even the cheap ones from Academy take up less space than the air matresses and IMO are much more comftrable than any air matress I've slept on.

True. Even the self inflating pads at Walmart are more comfy than air mattresses.

And I love my extra thick, extra wide and extra long Magellan self inflating pad. No, it does not pack down small...to me the comfort is worth it.

Meanwhile, Scott is perfectly comfy on this handkerchief thing that doesn't go beyond his knees. :loco:

It's a personal thang...

:sun:

in the day or days before your trip you let it sit in a south facing window, on the package it says that it will provide 4 hrs light on full bright after one year in storage. lithium type batteries hold a charge for a long time.
8 hours charge time to produce up to 12 hours on high.

no exposed wires, all electric bits are stored in the end.

This lantern caught my eye as I perused a catalog that arrived in the mail.
eastern mountain sports (emsdotcom) has it for $14.95.

curious thing about the catalogue; no details or description for anything. No sizes for clothes or shoes... guess they are too cool to deal with such mundane matters.

:sun:

Might be money better spent to get a AA and AAA solar charger and use rechargeable batteries in LED lights.

Obviously, you've never tried a backpacking air mattress. Much more comfortable than a self inflating mat and also much more compact.

I assume you're talking about something like this? I own the one below and like it. But don't consider it an air mattress, it's even marketed as a sleeping pad. I consider this a pad just not self inflating like the foam filled ones.

http://www.rei.com/product/846690/big-agnes-air-core-sleeping-pad

When I hear air mattress I think of these. Which take up way too much space for a motorcycle IMO and leave me sagging in the middle by morning time with an achy back.

http://www.rei.com/product/878557/k...mattress-with-rechargeable-pump-2014-closeout

Gee, seems like a pack of liberals following me around with Rules For Radicals in their back pockets. :rofl: This thread is MC Camping on the Cheap. I suppose "cheap" is a relative term. When I googled backpacking air mattress the prices that popped up were $75-150. Not cheap. For that price they'ed better be more comfy than my $10 on sale self-inflating pad from Walmart.

Yeah they aren't cheap. The smaller and more "backpackable" things become the more pricey they are. The Big Agnes air pad I have was one of the cheaper ones on the shelf at REI (REI isn't cheap to start with it's like a fancier Academy or Big 5).

There are low cost air mattresses out there but they usually pack huge and are HEAVY

Yeah they aren't cheap. The smaller and more "backpackable" things become the more pricey they are. The Big Agnes air pad I have was one of the cheaper ones on the shelf at REI (REI isn't cheap to start with it's like a fancier Academy or Big 5).

There are low cost air mattresses out there but they usually pack huge and are HEAVY

And if cheap, not at all comfortable and quite likely to go psssssss in the night. Good backpacking gear is almost always a great solution for motorcycle camping, but you're right, it isn't cheap. Unless camping often, it's cheaper for an occasional traveler to stay in motels, especially considering the outrageous fees some campgrounds charge these days.

One advantage out here in the western states is primitive camping is largely free. I haven't paid for a campsite in 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone

Back