• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'm a bit perturbed by Shoei

liability... the nanny state requires it. How else are idiots expected to win the lottery?
Get a lawyer and sue them for discrimination. That will teach em!

Yes, just about any visor these days block out UV rays. It is the reason I don't bother with photochromatic eyewear any more. Sun's UV rays are what trigger their color change, and behind the visor they just don't change color. Same as with the windshield and side windows of cars/trucks/SUVs these days. They all block UV rays.

You might still feel the heat when the sun hits you through them, but that's carried by IR part of the light spectrum, not UV.

/Morgan Freeman voice. He's right, you know.

I've worn auto tint glasses for years. Love em, but they don't tint behind mc helmet visors or automotive glass.

Yeah, besides the fact that even clear shield blocks UV rays, a quick search for " CNS-1 shield" netted no less than 5 different color tinted shields, everything from dark smoke to orange mirror to mellow smoke... whatever that is:

For those not familiar, CNS-1 shield is for Neotec and GT-Air.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cns-1+shield&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acns-1+shield"]Amazon.com: cns-1 shield[/ame]

For me, it didn't take long for me to like the internal sunshade far better than tinted shields. It is just a way more convenient. I don't think I'll ever buy another helmet that doesn't have it. For track, I might hang on to my trusty X-11, which I no longer wear for road riding.

I doubt liability concerns has anything to do with it. Shoei still makes tinted shields for their older helmets that don't have internal sunshades. From the looks of it, internal sun shade are the way of the future. Period. And once you get used to it, tinted shields become instantly obsolete.

Last edited:
internal sun shade are the way of the future. Period. And once you get used to it, tinted shields become instantly obsolete.
Personally, I hate those drop downs. They never come down far enough, and they don't stop the sun from heating up the inside of my helmet like a middle school science project.

I have an HJC street helmet and a Bilt dual sport helmet with the internal shades, and they both work fine. They do come down almost all the way to touching my nose, and the sides extend down further, so coverage is good.

I use them, but not often. The internal shade is usually dirtier than the actual shield though, because I don't see it and clean it before the ride. I just purchased a Shoei Qwest to replace my HJC, as it seems to be falling apart (The Bilt has held up much better than the HJC). The Qwest doesn't have an internal sun shield, and I don't really care much..

Of course, I am that guy that never wears shades either - I generally only want shades or tint if the sun is directly in my eyes - I don't like looking through something that isn't clear. I even hate auto-dimming mirrors because they shift the color and it's like my head doesn't understand the image anymore, I have to devote a little processing power to understand that those greenish lights are headlights.

Personally, I hate those drop downs. They never come down far enough, and they don't stop the sun from heating up the inside of my helmet like a middle school science project.

I'd say that's a poorly designed helmet, not inherent flaw of helmets with this feature. Neotec, for example, has excellent venting and I've not had that problem. Coverage of the drop down shade is also great.

Not all modular helmet with internal shades score as high. Some do have shades that don't drop far enough. Check http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/neotec/ and their other helmet reviews.

Between my Neotec and my full faced Arai, I will pick up the Arai under most circumstances. It has a dark tinted visor so as long as I'm riding in the day and don't need my Sena communicator, I find the Arai lighter, smaller more comfortable and better vented. If it is dark and I don't feel like changing the shield, the Neotec gets the nod. Long distance stuff where I want spoken GPS directions, phone or music require the Neotec.

Back