• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hammock Camping

Tx Tiger, I recall you mentioned doing a gear review about the items you chose to use. Care to give some feedback on what you've learned? Or point me in the direction of the info, if I just missed it.

Thanks
CJB

I am still a noobie when it comes to hammocks, but I will be glad to share what I know. The first thing I did, prior to purchasing my setup, was to read and ask questions on hammockforums.net. There is good info there.

With respect to the Warbonnet Ridgerunner hammock, it's great. High quality workmanship and well thought out. The Ridgerunner is a bridge hammock, meaning it has spreader bars, unlike a gathered end hammock. The advantages of a bridge are a flatter lay, and better visibility from inside the hammock, and cooler because you lay higher than in a gathered end. To get a flat lay in a gathered end hammock, one must lay somewhat diagonal, and Warbonnet has a foot sleeve in its gathered end hammocks to help lay this way.

It is by far the most comfortable sleeping for me. I got the double layer, which provides a sleeve to slide a sleeping mat into. A sleeping mat will also flatten the lay even more. I've used it in 31 degree temps and was not cold with an R5 Big Agnes mat and zero down sleeping bag. The Spindrift cover worked as designed. I had no condensation inside the hammock, but the underneath side of the tarp was covered in moisture. I believe the cover also raised the temperature inside the hammock.

So far, I haven't used the Warbonnet tarp made specifically for the Ridgerunner, as my standard 11'x13' Aqua Quest sil nylon covers everything really well. The hammock sets up really quick, but the tarp takes some time to set up and take down. particularly if you use poles. The tarp is not necessary on nice nights, but I've always used one as I like stowing items under it, and the privacy it gives you for dressing. In summer, the Spindrift cover is easily removed and the hammock has an attached netting to keep the bugs out.

The disadvantage of a bridge hammock is that they are more "tippy" than a gathered end; however, this has not been an issue for me.

I mailed my hammock and tarp home about half way through the out west trip. Although my tent sleeping arrangement was far less comfortable, I was way overloaded/heavy and had to choose one. I knew I would always have ground but wasn't sure about trees going into Wyoming and Montana. Turned out to be the right decision. So there are limitations.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, didn't read the thread, but I have a Hennessy el cheapo hammock to give, that was given to me. Turns out sleeping while shaped like a banana is not my thing. Send me a pm if you want it. Only condition is you can't sell it!

mattc gave me this hammock and started me on my way. I've since gone on to an ENO hammock system with a bug net and an underbag, so I wish to continue matt's generosity and pay his hammock forward.

mattc gave me this hammock and started me on my way. I've since gone on to an ENO hammock system with a bug net and an underbag, so I wish to continue matt's generosity and pay his hammock forward.

PM sent
-CJB

Trice,it is sad when folks enter an activity w/ the least/cheapest equipment available, JUST TO SEE IF THEY LIKE IT, and find that to really find the answer they have to upgrade, or JUST BAIL...

the HENNESSEE brand gets a lot of bad press due to this type of thinking/process

HENNESSEE makes some really nice products that offer LAY FLAT sleeping

for those who don't mind sleeping like the proverbial banana, just about any hammock will provide a nice place off the ground

GOOD ON YOU 4 PIF

hope that little hammock finds a friend

BTW, i think we can blame Bob & Carl for much of this madness :-)

sw

If you're car camping, this would solve the problem of no trees. A little pricey, but I find myself wanting a set.

roadie-eno.jpg

If you're car camping, this would solve the problem of no trees. A little pricey, but I find myself wanting a set.

roadie-eno.jpg

Somebody was think'n there! My problem is that with 3 boys in tow all with hammocks, we'll run outa tires. :)

That setup looks simple enough. I'd bet that with a mig welder and some pipe, you could make yourself a set pretty cheap and easy enough.

-CJB

Unless there is weather from he'll, Subcomm and I are slinging our hammocks at Smithville's park next Friday, the night before Ron's fish fry.

Before then I'll be experimenting with a few pieces of gear yet to arrive - an ENO underbag and an ENO bug net, plus a new tarp.

Want to get this figured out before using it for the first time.

Unless there is weather from he'll, Subcomm and I are slinging our hammocks at Smithville's park next Friday, the night before Ron's fish fry.

Before then I'll be experimenting with a few pieces of gear yet to arrive - an ENO underbag and an ENO bug net, plus a new tarp.

Want to get this figured out before using it for the first time.

I don't have the under bag (it's on my want list thought), by my ENO set up has the bug net and the rain fly. The bug net sets up really easy, though the first time or so you get in feels awkward. I've also got the ridge line. It's just a bag suspended above you head to put small items. I got it to have a reliable place to put my glasses that's easy to get to. I haven't used the ridge line with the bug net yet, but I imagine it'll be pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you really need is one tree, a bike and a good strong bush to anchor to...

110225_JT-091-XL.jpg

I don't have the under bag (it's on my want list thought)

At the ENO price point I literally had to bite the bullet, but from all I've read, a hammock camper in the cold can't rely on a sleeping bag due to compression of the fill between the body and the bottom of the hammock.

I'm glad this test is next week and not in the coming heat of a Texas summer. **

Plus I have the most important thing any camper needs: a way to make great coffee :sun:

Edit: I'm actually going to test the setup in the back yard to work though the setup so that in Smithville it'll just be muscle memory.

Last edited:
At the ENO price point I literally had to bite the bullet, but from all I've read, a hammock camper in the cold can't rely on a sleeping bag due to compression of the fill between the body and the bottom of the hammock.

I'm glad this test is next week and not in the coming heat of a Texas summer. **

Plus I have the most important thing any camper needs: a way to make great coffee :sun:

Edit: I'm actually going to test the setup in the back yard to work though the setup so that in Smithville it'll just be muscle memory.

Ah, you mean the underquilt. I thought you were talking about the underbelly gear sling

And the under quilt is on my list too, but they start steep and go up to REALLY STEEP in price. Which one did you get?
I'm thinking if you get the under quilt, you can replace your bag with a top quilt and maybe cut down on pack size and weight.

here's the undersling I'm wanting to get. I like that it gets your gear up off the ground and out of the rain.

584-113308-i13.jpg

I tested my hammock in the backyard with my bag to see how it would do. It was only in the mid - low 40s, but I was nice and coozy, to the point that I dozed off for a few hours. When I woke up, I still felt warm. I would imagine the under quilt is need when temps dip below that.

Ah, you mean the underquilt. I thought you were talking about the underbelly gear sling

And the under quilt is on my list too, but they start steep and go up to REALLY STEEP in price. Which one did you get?
I'm thinking if you get the under quilt, you can replace your bag with a top quilt and maybe cut down on pack size and weight.

here's the undersling I'm wanting to get. I like that it gets your gear up off the ground and out of the rain.

I got THIS from Amazon.

Yes, pricey, but it got great reviews and if there's one thing I can't abide when camping it's being wet and/or cold. If this thing keeps me warm when slung off the ground, it'll be worth it.

I do believe there are a ton of workarounds for underquilts, including making one's own from an old sleeping bag, but I've almost finished paying for all 4 kids college educations, it's time I spend some tuition money on myself! :trust:

I got THIS from Amazon.

Yes, pricey, but it got great reviews and if there's one thing I can't abide when camping it's being wet and/or cold. If this thing keeps me warm when slung off the ground, it'll be worth it.

I do believe there are a ton of workarounds for underquilts, including making one's own from an old sleeping bag, but I've almost finished paying for all 4 kids college educations, it's time I spend some tuition money on myself! :trust:

Nice! :thumb:
I don't mind paying for good gear. When you're in the backcountry or on a long road trip, you don't want to be miserable.

You deserve to spend money on yourself. I've still got one in daycare, so I'll be making my own :rofl:

I've heard of people either opening the bottom of their sleeping bag and running the hammock thru it, or cutting the bottom. Not sure how comfy that would be though.

I got THIS from Amazon.

:

I watched the video, and you definitely do not want to store that thing in the stuff sack. Store it in the storage sack or even on a hanger in the closet.
I have a few friends that have down bags and forgot to do this and stored them in their stuff sacks and they lost all their loft. There's ways to "bring it back to life" though.
My bag is synthetic, and I still store it on a hanger in the closet.

I have yet to be cold in my hennessy expedition. Only in the 30's, but with a wiggy's 40 degree bag and my exped synmat7, I am normally toasty. I will be upgrading to a mummy bag though. The bulk of this hammock with my rain fly would make me hesitant to add another part like an underquilt. I do also carry a "space blanket/bag" as extra insurance. I wonder if that could be clipped to the underside?

Campgrounds really discriminate against hammock campers?
That's weird. I wonder why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It damages the cambium layer if the tree. Think of it as the 'veins' of the tree, directly underneath the bark.

I typically use motorcycle tie downs when hammock camping, but put boards, or sticks under the strap, where it wraps around the back of the tree.

In inclimate weather, I run a rope between the same two trees that my hammock is hung from, and drape an 8x10 tarp over it. You can then use string to splay out the corners, or, if wind and mow temps are present, tie the corners at the end where your head are together, and peg those straight down underneath, and splay out the end where your feet are.

I made this post in a previous thread months ago-----

I camp with a parachute hammock. Its ideal for motorcycle trips. It stuffs into its own sewn in pouch, and it maybe 10" long, 6" diameter. I secure between two trees with the same two tie downs I use for my bike

Between the same two trees, I run a line of parachute chord. Then I have an 8x10 tarp I drape over that in case of rain, or cold wind.

No sleeping bag, just a small blanket.

I've never gotten wet in this set up. Ever. The tarp can be set up different ways, and can act as a greenhouse in cold weather.

$20 for the hammock
$4 tarp
$-- parachute chord or rope.

Easy day
shopping_zpsledq2s8v.jpg

IMG_20150531_110516181_zps2mibjdnh_edit_1433088549847_zps9duvxkpo.jpg

IMG_20150531_110749067_zpsqhf4i7ly_edit_1433088577621_zpsuz9i3hyn.jpg

You can rig up the tarp differently for different results....

Warm summer night, possible rain? Stake the corners out so a breeze can still flow

Cold windy night, tie two corners together, then stake to the ground. (Like the above pic)

^ 1,000 :thumb: because yours is the first on the subject to include the direction of the wind. Never, not once, thought about that before. :giveup:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Lol. Just froze my butt off too many times.

Trees layout don't always cooperate though.

Back