• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas inspection sticker becomes obsolete

Who made this a new regulation? I will be calling my Texas state senator and representative to express my dislike of this regulation.

So what does #7 deal with?

Sec. 548.052. VEHICLES NOT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION. This chapter does not apply to:...

(7) a vehicle for which a certificate of title has been issued but that is not required to be registered.

That would be for off highway use only vehicles; dirt bikes, quads, utv's, etc.

_

Well, a 20 second walk-around and $14.50 later I have the trailer inspected. Registration is next. Hoping this to be easy now.

Edit to add:
And that was easy. Rejection letter, Inspection letter, proof of liability on the pulling vehicle and some coin later, the trailer is all legal with the new program.

Last edited:
With the elimination of inspection stickers on the windshield--does the registration sticker serve any useful purpose? A LEO can scan your plate and see both the registration and inspection.

Displays supposed date of expiration. It's nothing that can't be scraped off another plate and stuck on there but that is why I always use a razor blade and cut across the sticker in a bunch of lines, that way if someone tries to peel it off my plate it's going to come off in a bunch of useless slices.

I had my tagged dirt bike re-inspected yesterday. He did record the mileage from the re-settable enduro odometer, 13.4 as 134 miles. We'll see what happens next year.
A 2003 model well used KLX400 with 134 miles, hrmm....

Last edited:
With the elimination of inspection stickers on the windshield--does the registration sticker serve any useful purpose? A LEO can scan your plate and see both the registration and inspection.

It serves as quick visual verification of an up to date registration.

I had my tagged dirt bike re-inspected yesterday. He did record the mileage from the re-settable enduro odometer, 13.4 as 134 miles. We'll see what happens next year.
A 2003 model well used KLX400 with 134 miles, hrmm....

I've been wondering about this. When I turned the Triumph into a street tracker I didn't run a speedometer. I hadn't considered putting one on the Indian (if I ever finish the thing.) Is an odometer even required equipment?

No, nor is a speedometer.

Nor are a lot of things folks "think" are inspect-able items
Its really pretty basic
05.07 Inspect Every Motorcycle and Motor-Driven Cycle For:
* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility
1. Horn
2. Mirror
3. Steering
4. Brakes (system)
5. Tires
6. Wheel Assembly
7. Exhaust System
8. Tail Lamp (1)
9. Stop Lamp (1)
10. License Plate Lamp
11. Rear Red Reflector (1)
12. Head Lamp (1)
13. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number

It serves as quick visual verification of an up to date registration.

They don't need to see it, they can scan your license plate from a much greater distance than they can actually read your registration sticker. I got pulled over for an expired inspection sticker after passing a DPS trooper going in the opposite direction. I was going 70 mph one way and he was going 70 mph the other so I asked how he could have possibly read my sticker as he passed. He said he got all the information about me and my vehicle by scanning my license plate. If they get the info from the computer, the sticker just mucks up the windshield.

Plate scanning tech is real. Not sure how I feel about it. Feels very Orwellian to me.

Sent from my iPhone

So, are the inspections going to be combined with the Registration on bikes? like you do away with the sticker?

Its done. I had my KLX inspected last Friday, no more inspection stickers. Got the new registration/plate sticker on the bike Monday.

Back