• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Your two-stroke mega thread

One of my 2 smokers.

Attachments

• Maico_MX.jpg
    Maico_MX.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20150412_091403.jpg
    20150412_091403.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Just thought I would share this video from Adam Riemann, about the love of two strokes. If you go to You Tube and type in his name it will bring up a lot of riding videos. Great stuff, it's all about the relationship between man & bike. Couldn't agree more!

Also a great video about the 2015 YZ250FX, but it's not a two stroke.

Sam

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQU4hSFyhU"]ON THE PIPE - KTM 250EXC - YouTube[/ame]

Just thought I would share this video from Adam Riemann, about the love of two strokes. If you go to You Tube and type in his name it will bring up a lot of riding videos. Great stuff, it's all about the relationship between man & bike. Couldn't agree more!

Sam

ON THE PIPE - KTM 250EXC - YouTube
Cool vid :clap:, he sure makes those rocks look easy.

Sam

ON THE PIPE - KTM 250EXC - YouTube

I think he has some of the best videos out there!!

Very nice! Thanks Sam. Now I want to go crank the bike and ride like a fiend. Oh wait...still need a jet ski or kayak to get across the front yard.:argh:

I bought this from my boss ~14 years ago, my first bike. It had been sitting in his garage for ~10 years, I gave him $400 and that included a pair of DG heads. I sold the heads for $300 a couple years later (now I wish I hadn't).

My boss used to work at a Yamaha dealership in Arkansas and built the bike from a '76 RD400 someone had left for repairs and never picked up ($50 for the bike, I still have the receipt!) and the Yamaha parts catalog. He ordered the Daytona frame and body work and proceeded to build himself a real Daytona "Special".

He put about 6000 miles on the bike, riding from Arkansas to Florida for Bike Week - I still have the Boot Hill Saloon sticker on the rear fender, then another trip to the Northwest.

After I got it I began the steep learning curve of tuning two strokes, this was before there was much support on the internet. Over the years I've gone thru just about every aspect of the bike, basically doing a 'frame-on' restoration, including rebuilding the motor twice with melted pistons...live and "learn"

I don't ride it enough and over the winter I noticed the 35 year old rear master cylinder had lost it's hold on the brake fluid, which peeled the paint off the rear swing arm, which gave me another excuse to tear it apart again. I decided to bite the bullet and order a new, modern rear master cylinder, get some parts powder coated, and a fresh set of tires. Once I got it on the road I realized I'd need to pull and clean the carbs again, so I bit another bullet and installed the Dyna S points eliminator kit from Vintage Smoke. It's in the garage waiting for the rain to pass so I can see how it's improved.

The bike came with Spec II pipes which sound awesome when accelerating under an overpass, but are loud as H-E-double-toothpicks most of the time. I reverted the motor back to mostly stock.

When it's running right its pure bliss, but those moments have been rare for me as I can never get the jetting 'just right', I probably expect too much. But that's one of the things that inspired me to get the V-Strom... fuel injection and electric starter.

After getting the new paint & decals few years ago I was too concerned about scratching it so it sat in the garage under a sheet. Before I dug into it again I tried to sell it 'as-is' and couldn't get a bite at $2400, so I decided to do all the above work and either ride it more often or sell it, at least now it'll need nothing

Here's a few pics, in the garage getting a 'make-over', the gas tank just after a bubble bath and wax, outside after a brief ride, and one of the melted pistons - the result of trusting 30+ year old crank seals!

Attachments

• RD-F_05JUN15.jpg
    RD-F_05JUN15.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 195
  • RD-F_TankWax_10JUN15.jpg
    RD-F_TankWax_10JUN15.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 171
  • RD-F_10JUN15.jpg
    RD-F_10JUN15.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 190
  • PistonMelt_2010.jpg
    PistonMelt_2010.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 191
A buddy of mine had a Daytona Special back in High School.

I was always been jealous because I only had an RD350. The only saving grace is that my modded 350 was considerably faster than his 400.

Ah the good old days.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I had a chance to by a Kenny Roberts edition RZ350. It was on consignment from a local bike nut at one of the shops. Yellow and black. I had the cash, but needed it for other things. I think it would be a fun bike to ride every now and then.

I still like the RD and the RZ, I had the 250 then a 350 RD, a KR Special ,that would be great!

Sent from my iPhone, that's sort of wonky as it thinks it can spell Texan better than I !

I had a chance to by a Kenny Roberts edition RZ350. It was on consignment from a local bike nut at one of the shops. Yellow and black. I had the cash, but needed it for other things. I think it would be a fun bike to ride every now and then.

As in recently? if so, please PM me details.. Thanks.
If not recently, please stop teasing me. :giveup:

Still finishing my RZ. CDI unit appears to be defective which is common on 84s. If anyone has a spare laying around let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought this from my boss ~14 years ago, my first bike. It had been sitting in his garage for ~10 years, I gave him $400 and that included a pair of DG heads. I sold the heads for $300 a couple years later (now I wish I hadn't).

My boss used to work at a Yamaha dealership in Arkansas and built the bike from a '76 RD400 someone had left for repairs and never picked up ($50 for the bike, I still have the receipt!) and the Yamaha parts catalog. He ordered the Daytona frame and body work and proceeded to build himself a real Daytona "Special".

He put about 6000 miles on the bike, riding from Arkansas to Florida for Bike Week - I still have the Boot Hill Saloon sticker on the rear fender, then another trip to the Northwest.

After I got it I began the steep learning curve of tuning two strokes, this was before there was much support on the internet. Over the years I've gone thru just about every aspect of the bike, basically doing a 'frame-on' restoration, including rebuilding the motor twice with melted pistons...live and "learn"

I don't ride it enough and over the winter I noticed the 35 year old rear master cylinder had lost it's hold on the brake fluid, which peeled the paint off the rear swing arm, which gave me another excuse to tear it apart again. I decided to bite the bullet and order a new, modern rear master cylinder, get some parts powder coated, and a fresh set of tires. Once I got it on the road I realized I'd need to pull and clean the carbs again, so I bit another bullet and installed the Dyna S points eliminator kit from Vintage Smoke. It's in the garage waiting for the rain to pass so I can see how it's improved.

The bike came with Spec II pipes which sound awesome when accelerating under an overpass, but are loud as H-E-double-toothpicks most of the time. I reverted the motor back to mostly stock.

When it's running right its pure bliss, but those moments have been rare for me as I can never get the jetting 'just right', I probably expect too much. But that's one of the things that inspired me to get the V-Strom... fuel injection and electric starter.

After getting the new paint & decals few years ago I was too concerned about scratching it so it sat in the garage under a sheet. Before I dug into it again I tried to sell it 'as-is' and couldn't get a bite at $2400, so I decided to do all the above work and either ride it more often or sell it, at least now it'll need nothing

Here's a few pics, in the garage getting a 'make-over', the gas tank just after a bubble bath and wax, outside after a brief ride, and one of the melted pistons - the result of trusting 30+ year old crank seals!

I had a chance to buy two of these at a local shop way back when. The mechanic talked me out of buying one. Said it would not make a good commuting bike. Wish I would not have listened then. The Daytona is one that someday I will own. After the remodeling. Most likely years after,they are difficult to find. Nice bike.

Back