• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moto transport.

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Floyd
Interesting way to transport a bike. Not sure why the pic is sideways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 137
I've seen more than one motorcycle twisted to junk being towed like that or similar. Some folks have no problem, some folks total their bikes. Maybe reading the instructions is important? I have no experience with that method of transport so can't really advise on the correct way to do it.

Anywho, be sure to remove the chain or belt because transmissions in some bikes aren't lubricating the countershaft and gears without an oil pump turning, sometimes powered by the input shaft or crankshaft. I've seen trannies galled badly costing down a long hill or after a long tow after an engine failure.

I doubt if I used something like that I would leave the chain on.

I towed my ZRX to Cresson and back. I live in Bryan, so about 320 miles. Didn't remove the chain. I put the front wheel in a cargo carrier.

Cool setup. I'm rigging up something similar. Should make my road trips more interesting as I could tow my bike to the fun riding roads without incurring the trouble of a trailer.

Seen this before with a sportbike behind an RV. Personally, I'd opt for whatever trouble a trailer offers instead of the trouble this could invite.

Seen this before with a sportbike behind an RV. Personally, I'd opt for whatever trouble a trailer offers instead of the trouble this could invite.

Agreed. A Harbor Freight trailer kit can be on the road for the price or a good rear tire for a cruiser or sport bike, or but very little more.

I see the HF trailers all the time and the only think I can really ever think about is that as cheap as their tools are it's most likely that the thing is going to break or the bearings go bad. I think the only thing that I have every had that isn't complete garbage from them is maybe sandpaper and some of their airhose line and connectors, lol.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of any catastrophic failures on their trailers.

Also, my tire changer is holding up after about 10 years of use. It's not fantastic, but it works. Their trailer isn't a Kendon, but it gets the job done.

I see the HF trailers all the time and the only think I can really ever think about is that as cheap as their tools are it's most likely that the thing is going to break or the bearings go bad. I think the only thing that I have every had that isn't complete garbage from them is maybe sandpaper and some of their airhose line and connectors, lol.

and yet you read story after story of people draging them all over the country. All I've ever done is grease the bearings.
It held a ninja 250, up to 2005 Concours. No problems with either. Mine is the tiny 3.5 x 4.5 bed. perfect bike trailer.

Yes, there is a lot of junk at HF, but there are many good deals, too. Be an educated shopper instead of a cheapskate and there are plenty of good deals to be found.

My 4x8, 1120 pound capacity HF trailer is about worn out it's second set of tires. Probably over 25,000 miles on it. We'll mount a new set of 5.30-12 6 ply rated tires with a HF tire changer. My son uses it to haul mowers and snowblowers year around. I think cleaning the panda fat off the bearings and going with the heavier duty tires at initial set-up along with regular bearing repacks (once a year) and inflating the tires with every use (trailer tires bleed air faster than car tires) has contributed to trouble free operation. Any and all repairs the trailer has needed over the years stemmed from operator errors, not mechanical or design deficiencies.

My uncle actually built and sold those hitch mounts and other accessories in the 70s. Ran it part time from his garage and small warehouse. I used one to tow my Honda XL250, had to remove the chain which was a pain

Back