• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rock Island

Reaction score
First Name
Georgia
Last Name
Rennick
Those who know me, know that I have wanted to do ghost town hunting for a long time. Unfortunately, due to the problems I have had over the last year and a half, I have not been riding much. Time to change, that at least before it gets too hot to roll. The boys are camping at Double Lake, so I got up this morning determined to ride. Maybe just a small loop, but the weather is actually nice and it’s going to hold until lunch time, so I think I will go to Rock Island.

Rock Island Is West of Eagle Lake on 90A. I live on Spring Cypress and Champion Forest drive. I head West on Spring Cypress deciding on my route, scenic or straight forward? It’s going to rain later, straight forward is better, it’s 8:30 am and the wind is cool as it passes through the vents in my Summer weight jacket. I decide to take Spring Cypress to 290 then pick up 362 and take that South to I-10. The roads are remarkably clear, 362 is a fairly straight shot South through to Brookshire, and there is not a vehicle in sight. All of a sudden a wasp pops into my helmet….it’s a full face HJC FS-10. Pull in the clutch and downshift all the while cross eyed watching the stunned wasp sitting at the base of my visor right under my nose. He’s stunned for now, thank goodness, but I do not take my eyes off of it. How the heck did he get in here? I think the vents on top of the helmet are a straight shot through but they are tiny. So I pull onto the shoulder which is nice and wide, thank you TXDOT, flip up the visor and flick him out. Couldn’t tell if he blew away or flew away and really did not care.

After Brookshire I take 90/I-10 to Sealy then turn South on Hwy 36 and again Southwest on 3013. It’s a nice route and I finally get to 90A. Eagle Lake is a quaint little town and needs additional exploration, but it’s going to rain today, so on to find Rock Island. Well, I have to say, there is not much there as far as ghost towns go, I looped around the little grid and got a couple of shots of some of the old homes which have gone into disrepair which must have been very stately in their time. Also found the old Gospel Church.

This house was a fine example of an old gingerbread house, I did not want to get closer as it seems it is still occupied. Also, the dogs in Rock Island know no bounds, I played chase rabbit to a white Great Pyrenees dog and his long dog buddy, but they fizzled out after a time.
rockisland024.jpg

Here’s the church:
rockisland029.jpg

Grabbed a couple of pictures of other homes, but nothing really news worthy, so I decide to head back. On the way back I pass this exotic animal reserve:

rockisland032.jpg

In order to get a pic of a real animal, I turn around, there were Ostriches hanging with the antelope with my first pass, but gosh oh molly these darned pipes (which I DID NOT install) startle the animals as I pull onto the shoulder and they take off. These pipes are the only thing I do not like about this bike, I would change them but you know the new Yamaha FZ6R looks pretty sweet. So, as the clouds start gathering, I take off heading for home trying to figure out the best way to get back. I wanted to go back through Brookshire, but forgot the exit on I-10 says 359 and not 362, so missed that one. I exit off super slab at Fry Road and head North, thinking I will take 529 to Hwy 6. Shortly after exiting the highway I pull over, zip up all my jacket vents, removed the garmin to my tank bag and my sheepskin seat cover to my tail bag. It’s not raining now, but I need to be prepared, there are some dark cloud clusters. I don’t make it to 529 before I have to travel through the first squall. Ride through it then it hit again at Barker Cypress where I turn North. Finally, Spring Cypress is in site and of course no rain up here. I was only moderately wet by the time I got home and was glad the mesh jacket stayed hung up today.

Rock Island was born through a land deal ‘scam,’ not very suitable for farming, but good for grazing animals. It thrived for two decades, then petered out to the few blocks which remain peppered with homes of those who have found their niche. The farming that at one time supported the jobs changed with modernization, thus reducing jobs and the population. Short story on this town. I wanted to explore Eagle Lake a little more, but that will have to be another time.

Update, I found an insert I can put in my two brothers exhaust to settle the 'note.' I ordered it today, supposed to bring it down 2 -3 decibels. Maybe next time I can get the ostriches in the picture.

Those who know me, know that I have wanted to do ghost town hunting for a long time. Unfortunately, due to the problems I have had over the last year and a half, I have not been riding much. Time to change, that at least before it gets too hot to roll.

Hey Georgia, Nice report, long time no hear. Count me in for the hunt.:flip:

Georgia it is good to see you posting ride reports again. I'm looking forward to your next report(s).

sounds like that wasp was scary. i mean way to stay calm with a wasp sitting under your nose! but otherwise sounds like a nice ride.

Back