TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Expedition Big Bend

One of the rides I've always wanted to do but just hadn't gotten around to is riding to Big Bend via northeast Mexico. Start in Del Rio, cross into Mexico at Acuna, ride west across the Chihuahuan desert and Sierra del Carmen mountains to Ojinaga, re-enter Texas at Presidio and then ride east to Terlingua.

I'm not the first person to think of doing this. Other groups have actually completed this ride, most recently JT and Milton in 2011. You can read their Wrong Way 'Round the Bend ride report here.

The primary challenge with this route is gas - it is about 400 miles from Del Rio to Ojinaga and there are no gas stations anywhere along the route. Previous groups doing this route have been able to purchase a few liters of gas from locals at the tiny village of Morelos. However, I was with a group that rode the first half of the route in 2007 and my group was unable to locate gas in Morelos or anywhere else in the area. So, finding gas has not been a given.

However, things have recently changed. The unofficial border crossing from Big Bend National Park into the small village of Boquillas Mexico, closed after the 911 attacks, has been re-opened as an official crossing site. Boquillas nearly died when the border closed in 2001. Today, with tourists once again crossing the Rio Grande into Boquillas and providing a source of income for locals, new services are now available, including gas (via a 55 gallon drum). If we really can get fuel in Boquillas, then it solves the gas issue with this route.

I did some checking around with Big Bend locals and was assured I would be able to buy gas in Boquillas. It would set me back a whopping $7 a gallon but it was there. With fuel seemingly available, it was time for me to mark this route off my bucket list. I called my buddy JT and we headed west the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Expedition Big Bend, here we come.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net

Last edited by Trail Boss; 11-27-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
nevlec

Re: Expedition Big Bend

How was it?
2010 R1200GS
2015 500 EXC
nevlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
kman

Sounds fantastic. Look forward to the report.
07 BMW F650GS
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
TGTUMBLEWEED

dont stop now
TGTUMBLEWEED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
philipbarrett
Forum Supporter

In...

2010 BMW F800GS "Buck"
2002 KTM 300EXC
2015 Husqvarna FE501S
1975 Honda CB400F
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:40 PM   #6
bsheet2

When does the show start?
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
Vinny
Forum Supporter

Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:59 AM   #8
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Cool!

Isn't the first part of the route up to the sharp turn to the West part of the route we did with Uncle and some others back in 2007? We went past that big volcano, I got a flat, and then we found cold coke in that ghost town... before eventually ending a LONG day in Musquiz.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Cool!

Isn't the first part of the route up to the sharp turn to the West part of the route we did with Uncle and some others back in 2007? We went past that big volcano, I got a flat, and then we found cold coke in that ghost town... before eventually ending a LONG day in Musquiz.
Yes, your memory is correct. We did the first half of this route in 2007.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

www.texasadventure.net
Old 11-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
way-man

In
way-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
BrotherWolf

In & very interested to hear how it went. Boquillas was a fun destination many years ago & I recently went back via the new official crossing. I’d always wondered about the journey to Boquillas from the other side, so I’m eager to read the rest of your ride report....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrotherWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
Shadman
TWT Site Sponsor

Subscribed!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
Jeff S
Forum Supporter

Subscribed, and impatiently awaiting more info...
Old 11-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #14
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
Subscribed, and impatiently awaiting more info...

My apologies. I’m traveling on business this week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.texasadventure.net
Old 11-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #15
nevlec

Such a tease...
2010 R1200GS
2015 500 EXC
Old 11-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #16
TGTUMBLEWEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevlec View Post
Such a tease...
YUP
TGTUMBLEWEED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

JT and I have done a lot of trips together. Even more important, we’ve done multiple rides in Mexico, so this wasn’t our first rodeo. For this trip we were most concerned about fuel, camping, and food – in that order.

If we couldn’t find gas in Boquillas then we were going to have problems. Sure, we could likely cross the border into Big Bend National Park, get gas, and then cross back into Mexico, but at best it would be expensive, a big hassle, and very time consuming. The more likely scenario if we were forced to try and transport gas across the border is that the customs folks at the border would not be happy with us since what we would be trying to do would be out of the norm. If they decided we couldn’t cross back into Mexico carrying gas, then our problems would be magnified.

Additionally, the gas tank on JT’s XR650R wasn’t large enough for him to make it to Boquillas on one tank. The XRR isn’t known for exceptional fuel economy, so the 4.9 gallon aftermarket tank wasn’t going to do the trick. He would have to carry spare fuel. Luckily he had a 1.8 gallon fuel bladder he could strap on to the back of his bike which would provide the additional gas needed for him to make it to Boquillas. Probably.

For me, the stock fuel tank on my Husqvarna 701 is only 3.4 gallons; good for a max of 170 miles. Not bad except it was 235 miles to Boquillas. I needed more fuel capacity. I had ordered an aftermarket Rade tank more than a month earlier, which at 1.6 additional gallons would push my total capacity to five gallons. I get 50 mpg on the Husky so five total gallons would theoretically be enough.

I say theoretically because I was still waiting for the tank to show up at my house. I told JT the week before we left that knowing how these things usually go, the tank would show up on Saturday. Which it did. And since I was leaving on Sunday morning, it meant I had enough time to install the tank but not enough time to give it a good test. If I screwed up the installation (not hard for me to do) or if there were quality issues with the tank and it leaked (a possibility) I wouldn’t find out until we were already in Mexico and likely too late to do anything about it.

In short, gas was the wild card in this entire scenario. We could go without food for a few days and not die. We could sleep on the ground if we needed to and not die. But if we ran out of gas before we made it to Boquillas then we would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 11-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #18
nevlec

Oh, this is off to a good start!!!
2010 R1200GS
2015 500 EXC
Old 11-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #19
texaspatrick
Forum Supporter

No way!!!! I've been mapping out this exact idea for the last few weeks on GoogleEarth between jobs. Got the idea after running into a fellow on a DRZ in Boquillas on my last trip. Get on with it
texaspatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #20
jdsmetx

This is good stuff

DR650 "Donkey"
DL1000 "Thunder"
jdsmetx is offline   Reply With Quote