TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Monica

Hi

Hey everyone, I'm Monica. Been out of riding and off of motorcycles for a good handful of years. But I'm getting back in, missed it. Nothing serious (heh, I know "sure"..) but aiming toward the dual sport segment, trails and what not. I do a lot of hiking/camping/kayaking/fishing and hoping to incorporate the bike somewhere in those kind of trips.

For now, brought home a street legal '03 TTR125LE to ride around locally and get back into the feel of riding. It's a good match for size and weight. I've wanted this model for a long time. Getting tax office to comply with state laws now so I can get the title and registration finished.

I have a Rekluse on order. I ride one-handed. On previous bikes I've switched the controls to the right and did everything right handed. I'm taking the easy way on this one in regards to work/mods to get on the road. It's hard habit to break though. The other night I came home from work and pulled the clutch off and tried to put it over on the right to take a quick spin. Luckily cables and wiring held me up a little bit enough that I said 'forget it tonight' or I'd have been getting a noise complaint from neighbors.

Anyway, thanks for letting me be here. Have a good day.

Here's from the night I brought the bike home.

Monica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: Hi

Riding one handed seems like a real challenge. I met another rider not long ago that had his KLR 650 set up for riding single handed. It was pretty amazing. Good luck getting the TTR setup. Some pics of your final control arrangement would be neat to see. I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts about the TTR in general.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Welcome!

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
JoToPe

Welcome from Burleson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JoToPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
duchess

09 fZ1

"Quo Vadis?"
duchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
Monica

Thanks yall.

Toumeister, yes and no. The controls are actually intuitive in the dexterity department. I rode shorty brake over clutch. I'll try and find some photos of my previous setups. What was tougher was balancing the bike on low/no speed off camber stuff. Without the opposing hand to hold the bike it made body balance and lower body position more important.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Hope you get the bike sorted out and get on two wheels again soon!

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
Texas T

Welcome from the Southwest contingent.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
2N2OUT

Welcome from the town where hope floats!

FOR SALE: 2011 Alpine White R1200 GS "Fräulein"
2016 Light White K1600 GT Premium
2N2OUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #10
viffer07

HI back and welcome. where you from and do you need help with the bike. I have saws, torches,welding machine along with a few more implements of destruction... I mean construction.
viffer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #11
cdc
Forum Supporter

Welcome to the site.

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #12
julimike54
Forum Supporter

& enjoy!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
cheez

Welcome from Livermore, CA!
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
2002 Honda VTX1800R (Poor Punkin got smashed by an inattentive kid)

IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || Thursday Night Irregular
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #14
kickstand~prophet

Welcome from the center of the Republic of Texas. KP
1985 Yamaha RZ350

Avatar picture courtesy of Ghostrider1964

The biggest challenge of life is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." Maya Angelou
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #15
Monica

You guys are great. Thank yall for the warm welcome

SpiritatBay, absolutely.

2in2out, love that movie.

viffer07, thank you for the offer. Looks like you've got a fun toy set...uh, tool set.

Update on bike:
Went to tax office on Tuesday and they agreed to Title and Register the bike. But, wait, new problem, the guy on the title is not the guy on the bill of sale, it's two owners ago. So.... I get to hassle with that for a bit. And that mistake is all on me for not catching it, I feel so dumb, that's basic buyer smarts. Decided to bond the title and get on with it. Waiting for that paperwork as we speak.

On the parts front, Rekluse and new tail fender arrived (has an actual LP light, the current one doesn't....and the LEOs I know are sticklers for equipment violations). Also ordered a Trail Tech display and handle bar mount. Looking forward to installing that.

I took inventory of the bike, part numbers, sizes of stuff to get familiar. Took a little time to clean up the front fender (sandpaper and heat to fix the larger scuffs). Will do that on a few other areas but nothing major. I know I'll put my own boo-boos on it lol. Also the PO had much of the plastics plasti-dipped and a lot of it was cut/chipped/peeling so I've been removing that. Eventually I'd like to RitDye some parts and give it a nice color scheme/clean up. But that'll be after I've got time on it, I'm ready to get on the road/trails. I'll get the Battery Tender lead hooked up, I've got that somewhere in my boxes.

All for now, until next time.

Last edited by Monica; 12-07-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
Windmill
Forum Supporter

Hi Monica. Wrenching on bikes is fun too. Especially on winter days. Looking forward to seeing your set up at a pie run .
Flirting with Moses is cheating on Jesus Ex. 34:14
Windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #17
Dahveed

Welcome to the site. I’m in the Fort Worth area. If you need or want some assistance, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #18
Monica

On Saturday I ran over and met Electrified to get the Ultimate MX Hauler from him. Today I finally had free time to play with it on the truck, figure out how I'd load the bike on it and test out the jack that was likely going out.

Got the hauler on the hitch and after some twiddling with the hitch pin realized it didn't fit cause the pin hole on the hauler was 1/2". My truck uses 5/8". So, that would have to be drilled out. So I did. Some 3-in-1, my cordless Dewalt and a 5/8" black oxide bit. Now I can use my locking hitch pin. Much better. Normally I like drilling straight holes in metal with the drill press but to even clamp that thing down up on the table I'd have to disassemble the while thing. Nahh, I'll just hold the drill real straight.

So the hauler deck sits about 20" off the ground. The ground clearance on the bike is 13.5" if I tilt it right. Big 7". I gain those inches if I back the truck up against the curb to the yard. Or park it at the end of the driveway cause it slants. The hard part will un/loading whereever I'll go. Gonna have to figure that out still. But was able to bungee tie the front brake down and lift rear end of the bike onto the deck and slide it on. Foot peg bolts fits fine and snug down well. I used a tie from the handle bar to the mount to keep the bike still. Should haul just fine. My brake lights are visible from the rear, although LP is obscured. I'll take that one as I go and not drive like I'm trying to get pulled over.

I wanted to use the anti-rattle clamps but the ones I had didn't fit the hauler. So, I drilled new holes. It fits

I jacked up the bike into hauling position. But as suspected the jack didn't wanna go the last inch or so. I lifted the deck into place and got the lock pin secured. Definitely need a new jack. I drained it and put new oil in but now it's worse even after purging the air. Oh well lol

I'll get this thing to the shop in the next week or so. They can install the Rekluse. I decided I won't be moving the controls over to the right so until the Rekluse is on, I can't ride it.

Well, that's today's time. I have a VM24 carb on the way and a Trail Tech Vapor sitting on the kitchen table. I'll wait until the bike comes back from the shop for those. The choke will be relo'd and taken off the bars for the most which will allow me to mount the Vapor where I want it. (I'm kinda OCD about stuff being even and symmetrical)
Attached Thumbnails
20171213_150557.jpg   20171213_151753.jpg   20171213_152047.jpg  

20171213_212408.jpg   20171213_152036.jpg