• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sealant in tires with TPMS

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
Anyone have an opinion?

Bought a new set of tires, mounted them up (undamaged and used a tire machine, no spoons) and have a very small leak at multiple spots all the way around the bead.

Took Snoop to find the tiny, tiny leaks. Individually, not a huge issue. But collectively, it's a significant leak.

I'm not optimistic about a refund or replacement tire. And I cringe at the thought of eating a $200 tire.

So would a sealant be a reasonable, long term solution?

Mitch, the flat I had at Cool last year was the exact same thing, several really slow leaks around the rim. Had to use soapy water and let sit for a few minutes to find them. I had not been on the bike for a couple weeks and did not check pressure before we left that day. Back at the house broke the bead several times to lube and try to seat and seal the bead. Even picked up some slickem from the local tire dealer to try. No luck, still leaking. Still running the same tire I just make sure to check the pressure every time. Extra Seal has a product called Bead sealer that you put on the rim to seal. None to be had in Graham at the time so I can't recommend it one way or the other, but might be worth a shot if you can find it.

Back to your question, a friend that had been in the tire business about 40 years told me to never use anything with TPMS. That was about 10 years ago and on Tundra pickup tire so not sure how it would apply to your case.

It might be an issue. I have messed with bead sealer on a tractor tire, and I still ended up putting slime in to stop it leaking. Not so sure I would put it in your tire, there is a lot of volume there, and I am not sure how it would affect balance if you had too much.

Tire sealer can ruin the pressure sensor. It clogs the tiny little port that it reads pressure from and you could get a flat and it won’t alert you to the dropping pressure.

Would a tire sealer even fix a rim/bead leak? :ponder:

Seems most are designed to seal leaks in the tread area. I guess if it was runny enough it could make its way to the bead area. :shrug:

I have seen some sealants say they are safe for TPMS sensors (heck, some cars with TPMS don't have a spare, just a tube of goo and an air compressor).

Last edited:
My suggestion is to unmount the tire and inspect the rim where the bead seats for roughness, or for bits of the old tire that may have stuck. Seems every few tires I have to use fine emery paper to remove stuck on bits. When you mounted the tire what lube did you use? One of the paste types like No-Mar sells would seem best on a TPMS setup as it stays in place, reducing the chances of getting any in the sensor port.

Mitch per the bike in your signature line and below blurb I found on Ride-On's website, I would say no to sealant. I suggest to do as Ed says. Buy some tire stuff and use it undiluted. Once you try it you'll never use anything else. I bought the Camel brand. One pail will last you 2 lifetimes of monthly tire changes.
https://www.jbtoolsales.com/plews-c...t5LvNzGidxS7Ozm1yItIJS_72n-Pn0VBoCa28QAvD_BwE

Q: Is Ride-On Tire Pressure Monitor (TPMS) Friendly?

A: Yes. Ride-On (TPS) is tire pressure monitor sensor (TPMS) friendly in TPMS sensors that are hermetically sealed. Most sensors on motorcycle, autos and commercial fleet applications are hermetically sealed. We do not recommend the use of Ride-On in 2009, 2010, and 2012 Honda Gold Wings as their TPMS sensors are not potted (hermetically sealed). Also certain KTM 1190 and 1290 Adventures may have unsealed (non-potted) electronics and therefore should avoid the use of our sealants.

_

For the record, that was the first tire change on Mitch's bike. The rim was pristine and there were no rough spots on the sealing surface. We were actually impressed at how clean it actually was. It is really odd how it oozes around the bead surface. Very, very small but enough to change pressure. It seems the front has a bit of ooze as well since it's pressure was lowering. This is not a rim surface issue, both rims are brand new and clean, plus they did not leak with the factory tires. I am very interested in learning what is wrong. We can pop the tires off if Mitch so desires, but I might slip him a $20.00 to take the wheels off at his house. What a **** the rear was to remove and install from the bike.

Really doubt something like Slime etc. would play well with your TPMS gadgets. Besides, the stuff is just plain nasty to begin with and doesn't age well inside the tire. There are a number of tire mounting compounds out there. The old Murphy's is still good as anything I know of. They have a new liquid version that's easier to work with than their original paste. Using it while mounting helps lube stuff (making your life a lot easier) and helps seal the bead. On rougher rims, I've seen tire shops use the paste version straight out of the bucket (undiluted) to cure bead leaks. It works. In extreme cases there are thick tar like bead sealers that'll plug up a ragged tire on a rust pitted rim but dang they're nasty to work with and seem to get all over everything. These make the next tire change even more unpleasant since they kind of glue the tire and rim together. I don't know if anyone mentioned it but briefly over inflating the tire after mounting is pretty common for sealing the bead. Just pull the pressure back down to spec before riding off into the sunset.

Appreciate the insight. Never had this kind of issue.

It won't cost you $20 ... it'll be worth the $20 to not hear you cuss my moto-sickle.

Talked with the vendor and he immediately offered to send me a replacement tire.
Motorace is a heckuva vendor.

But, after some discussion with Motorace, I think I will try a bead sealer product.

Last edited:
If FINA had ever released that "Pink Air" that was supposed to be coming in 1966 you could try switching to that.

:rofl:

Dang mitch all I did was abreviate Pain in the _ _ _. If'n I was going to be cussing one it wouldn't be the KTM.....of course I cannot control what you do sir. I got lots of rubber gloves for the bead sealant. We might want to know what the solvent for it is before I get it all over me (and you know I will...)

I considered plugging each spot that was leaking with tubeless tire plugs.

Then it hit me ... so simple it's absolutely brilliant ...

I'll lay them end to end in the crook of the rim and then seat the bead.

job done!

Last edited:
flexsealcan-700x700.jpg

Moto-Sickle sad ...

2016_KTM_06_1200-XL.jpg

... sad that I'm getting pretty good at taking the wheel off.

I'll let you how the reverse procedure goes.

C'mon, man. Get serious.
That's only for boats with screen doors in the hull.

Last edited:
It was probably easier without that stupid monkey that was helping the other day. I think Flex Seal would definitely float yer boat.....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Leaks_04-X3.jpg

Check it out.

As the tire machine spun the tire, it folded those mold release hairs flat and they were trapped between the tire bead and rim.

I had the guy that put the last tires on for me sit there cutting those off. I'd asked why and the same thing you found was the reason. I'd never thought it was real, thought he was just killing time. Seeing your picture brought back the memory from the rusted trap:)

When I put the Mitas on my S-10 I was advised to trim all the little tits on the tire off to prevent rim leaks, I did and no problems or leaks. I used fingernail clippers for it..

Mitch, that was fun, I also appreciate your for getting the "Mounting Lubricant" label in the picture. You sir, have extraordinary magnitude. This it the first tire I ever saw this happen to. So from now on, I will keep some clippers by the tire machine. Dang Eurobikes.....I sent mine to Seattle last night.

Would a tire sealer even fix a rim/bead leak? :ponder:

Seems most are designed to seal leaks in the tread area. I guess if it was runny enough it could make its way to the bead area. :shrug:

I have seen some sealants say they are safe for TPMS sensors (heck, some cars with TPMS don't have a spare, just a tube of goo and an air compressor).

Actually, it WILL fix a minor rim/bead leak. I had the problem on my '05 VStrom. A $7 can of Fix-a-Flat from Autozone fixed the issue until I got around to replacing the wheel a year or so later. And, along with tire plugs, I always carry a can of that stuff in my tool tube; it'll cover a multitude of issues & get you home. It'll also leave a mess & whomever changes your tire next time won't love you.

But I agree - I wouldn't recommend it with a TPMS system.

Mitch. Rich is the one that told me about the trimming trick after he mounted a set of the Mitas and had the same bead leaks your describing.

Rich told you? He hate me? :giveup:

Back