• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Earbuds for Sena 20s

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
This weekend was the first time I've used my new Scorpion AT950 helmet with the Sena headset speakers installed. Well, they're KILLING my ears. The curse of being a punkin-head.

So, I either need to try earbuds or I'll be selling a brand new helmet with less than 50 miles on it.

I've never used earbuds before so would appreciate and insight. I want them to work seamlessly with my Sena headset.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had to carve out additional foam and reshape the pocket for the speakers in my helmet to keep them from touching my ears. Additionally, I bought earbuds that fit inside my ear canal with only wires exposed. S plugs from Plugup.com, but I think they are too expensive now. They do work great, though.

I have moved back to the speakers, properly positioned, and wear foam ear plugs. The speakers have enough volume for me to hear adequately, even if not in hi-fi.

I run earbuds exclusively with my SMH-10. Not sure on the 20 but the 10 requires a base with a headphone jack for it to work.

To me there is no comparison. The earbuds help cut down on damaging external noises, and the sound is far better from earbuds than from the standard speakers. YOu need to make sure you get lowish profile sound isolating earbuds the kind with the squishy ear pieces.

Oh, I vaguely remember needing to change the plug size to fit the sena. Be sure to check. The earbud company may be able to fit any size on the wire.

My Shoei Gt-air has speaker reliefs. I used to used earbuds with my phone with my old Shoei and they were a not easy to get situated right. I wear foam earplugs with my helmet and sena speakers now if I`m going far. But I never have owned a pair of earbuds that cost more than 15.00.

Check out the Plugfones Guardian. I use them with my Sena 20s and they work great.

https://www.plugfones.com/product/guardian/

Plugfones gives you both silicone and foamy plugs to use. $25. They work well for me with the typical 3.5 mm audio connection into the Sena. The speaker cups in my HJC helmet aren't in the ideal location for me so it was hard to hear using the speakers even with the volume all the way up.

This weekend was the first time I've used my new Scorpion AT950 helmet with the Sena headset speakers installed. Well, they're KILLING my ears. The curse of being a punkin-head.

So, I either need to try earbuds or I'll be selling a brand new helmet with less than 50 miles on it.

I've never used earbuds before so would appreciate and insight. I want them to work seamlessly with my Sena headset.

Thanks

I also run the AT950 with a Sena 20S and have to be very careful of where I put the speakers, or they cause pain. A few mm in any direction can make it unbearable, but when they're in the right spot, I don't even know they are there. Maybe try some adjustments before you throw in the towel on the speakers? I like the no-fuss nature they provide- throw on the lid and go.

As I tend to ride 20 miles or more at a time when I got out, I always use ear plugs.

https://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

Those surefire earplugs have worked great so far. I use those with my Icon Alliance helmet and Cardo Freecom 4 speakers/unit. Like cheez, if I didn't have the speakers just right, I couldn't stand it. Once in the sweet spot, they are just fine.

Thanks all. I definitely have some good choices to research now

I also run the AT950 with a Sena 20S and have to be very careful of where I put the speakers, or they cause pain. A few mm in any direction can make it unbearable, but when they're in the right spot, I don't even know they are there. Maybe try some adjustments before you throw in the towel on the speakers? I like the no-fuss nature they provide- throw on the lid and go.

How do you even have mm in the speaker pocket? Are the Sena speakers that small?

My Scala Freecom2 speakers fit perfect in the speaker pocket on the AT950 and fit equally well in the Shark's speaker pockets. (Side note: in the Scorpion I now have full, enjoyable music, while in the Shark they were tiny/thin sounding, amazed at that difference through placement)

I ask because I had considered maybe getting a Sena if there's a benefit for group rides. I'm happy with mine except it's only intended to connect to a pillion rider.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you even have mm in the speaker pocket? Are the Sena speakers that small?

My Scala Freecom2 speakers fit perfect in the speaker pocket on the AT950 and fit equally well in the Shark's speaker pockets. (Side note: in the Scorpion I now have full, enjoyable music, while in the Shark they were tiny/thin sounding, amazed at that difference through placement)

I ask because I had considered maybe getting a Sena if there's a benefit for group rides. I'm happy with mine except it's only intended to connect to a pillion rider.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sena speakers take up maybe 2/3 of it? The trick is to get the edges "past" your earlobes/ear cartilage. Placement definitely matters.

The Sena speakers take up maybe 2/3 of it? The trick is to get the edges "past" your earlobes/ear cartilage. Placement definitely matters.
I just wonder if my head is too wide for this helmet. I bought an 2XL and then replaced the check pads with 3XL for more comfort.

I've moved the speakers all over speaker pockets but they still hurt almost immediately.

It's a real bummer because I love the helmet and I prefer the convenience of built-in speakers and not earbuds but I just don't see how that's going to happen.

I just wonder if my head is too wide for this helmet. I bought an 2XL and then replaced the check pads with 3XL for more comfort.

I've moved the speakers all over speaker pockets but they still hurt almost immediately.

It's a real bummer because I love the helmet and I prefer the convenience of built-in speakers and not earbuds but I just don't see how that's going to happen.

Wow. We have the same story. I'm running a 2XL with 3XL cheek pads but 2XL head section IIRC (the nice lady at the shop put it all together for me). I also had to go in with a screwdriver handle and take some of the foam ridges down in order to make it tolerable for 14 hour days on the bike. Took some effort but now I LOVE it and really dislike wearing other helmets because of the visibility compromises.

I ran earbuds for almost a decade before the Sena, I can't imagine going back. Between not having something pop out of your ear halfway through a sweaty ride and then having to either stop to fix it or live with one ear louder than the other, and the lack of interaction when putting on the helmet, I have really enjoyed the move, spendy though it was.

Last edited:
Did you buy the single or dual driver version? I'm not a huge music listener when I ride but would like to hear the intercom as clearly as possible.
I only have the single driver. The sound quality is fine for me.

Back