• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda CRF250X lowering

Reaction score
Planning to try off-road after 17 years on the street. I checked the Honda CRF250X. Looks like a good model to start. Also planning to do light MX duties if I can find some beginner tracks.

At 5"3 I need to be about 2" lower to get the ball of one feet on the ground and feel confident on trails. Does anyone have luck in sensibly lowering the 250X. Planning to use a link/fork drop combo.

Any suspension shops you can recommend in the San Antonio/Austin area who can help with this work? Also planning a seat shave.

Also please recommend must have accessories for the bike

I know Kouba makes a 250x link to lower, but it's only a 1.75" drop.
still, That may be enough of a drop. If not, you may as well just lower everything through the shock and forego the kouba.

for the forks, the most I remembered being able to slide it above the triple clamp is 3/4" inch. Getting bar risers to clear for a higher protrusion isn't the problem...it's the available surface clamping area at the lower triple clamp that restricts prortuding forks higher than 3/4"

I lowered my CR250 about 1.25-1.5", done internally w/ spacers added into the shock and forks. Don Lackey Racing up in Jonestown, TX did it for me about 8 yrs ago.
If you decide to lower the forks w/ spacers, realize that your crf forks are twin chamber showas. Don Lackey knows what needs to be done correctly.

Last edited:
just remember the total amount of wheel travel (Movement remains the same) so the links lower the seat height but then allow the rear wheel to hit the underside of the seat/mudguard, you really need to add a spacer/bump-stop to the rear shock so the rear wheel cannot hit the bike!! We lowered my wifes CRF230F using a lowering link and it worked great until we loaded the bike up with a tent and camping gear then the rear wheel started hitting the underneath of the mudguard and would have damaged the mudguard, airbox and god knows what else if we hadn't seen it and transfered stuff off her bike to reduce the weight.

Gary

That's a good point about the fender issues w/ a lowering link.
I now remember that issue happening to one of my kiddo's bike I lowered w/ linkage.
Big giant black tire marks gouged right through the plastic fender.

Thus, since you'd have to completely disassemble the shock to add in a longer bump stop on the shock to prevent crashing into the fender, that's another good reason to just lower the bike through the shock.

Back