• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 Super Tenere issues

Reaction score
I love this bike. Everything has gone well with her so far. Bought her last August from the stealership. I have changed all the fluids on time and have always let her warm up to atleast 120 degrees before going. I got up this morning to drive and she wouldn't crank. She would just turn and turn. I thought I would leave her be until I got back from church and try again. Same thing. Tried full throttle (something that I have never had to do before) and it sounded more like it was going to crank. So, I thought I would make a video, and when I made the video, it actually tried to start. After making the video I tried once or twice more with less results than what the video offered. So, what do ya'll think? Where should I start? https://video-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=05e7f90a5e6d7689a6465c92f7228691&oe=55F5E472

Does it still have the original battery?
Can you measure the battery voltage while it is cranking?

There is a hard start thread on the Tenere forum that might be of some help. I thankfully haven't had that issue ( knock on wood).

Just noticed you've checked that out, never mind....:)

Last edited:
I read through 5 pages or so of the link I posted. Didn't seem to have any information other than "it happens". I am calling Yamaha tomorrow. Can't seem to find an email address

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I had this problem with mine only once. After starting it after a wash and riding it a few feet into my garage. I did the fuse trick I found online and with some more cranking it eventually started. Never did it again. It was frustrating to say the least.

Mine did it once in 12K miles. Let it sit for a while to let the starter motor cool off and it fired right up.

Happened to me once, or so I thought. After washing the bike it wouldn't start. Reading previously this is a known issue I tried all the suggested remedies but nothing worked. Turns out I forgot to remove the exhaust plug I put in to keep water out of the exhaust during washing. It was hidden by my big Jesse bags. Lol

_

Only happened to me once. It was a weak battery. A good charge took care of it. These motors turn over so slow when starting, it's hard to tell by sound.

I'd read about the hard start and thought it was hooey... until it happened to me and my '12 at about 43,000 miles.
My dealer replaced the clutch basket (the 2014 is smoother and my dealer (Yamaha Sport Center in Longview) warranteed it.) At the same time, he replaced the cam chain tensioner (warranty again), operating under the premise that a weak CCT has allowed the timing to slip just enough to mess with the start.
If you haven't upgraded to the 2014 clutch basket and CCT, talk to your dealer.
BTW, the new clutch basket pretty much eliminated the vibration.

One more note -- if you'd bought it in Longview, you'd be referring to the dealership rather than the stealership. Great bunch of guys.)

Last edited:
Had friend (and I use that term loosely) turn the engine kill switch off on one of my bikes when I wasn't looking. When I tried to start it, I nearly killed the battery before I realized what was going on. I never turn the bike off with the kill switch and always assume it's "on". Got even by turning his gas off at the petcock on his MX bike when we were out practice riding. Felt good watching him kick that 450 for the better part of 20 minutes before he figured it out. :lol2:

I always use the kill switch. That is how they tell you to do it in the stupid safety course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I learned a long time ago to only use the kill switch when i could not access the ignition switch. Never had a battery run down turning the bike off with the ignition switch.

I'd read about the hard start and thought it was hooey... until it happened to me and my '12 at about 43,000 miles.
My dealer replaced the clutch basket (the 2014 is smoother and my dealer (Yamaha Sport Center in Longview) warranteed it.) At the same time, he replaced the cam chain tensioner (warranty again), operating under the premise that a weak CCT has allowed the timing to slip just enough to mess with the start.
If you haven't upgraded to the 2014 clutch basket and CCT, talk to your dealer.
BTW, the new clutch basket pretty much eliminated the vibration.

One more note -- if you'd bought it in Longview, you'd be referring to the dealership rather than the stealership. Great bunch of guys.)

I have talked to them several times. They aren't interested in helping me. They want to sell me a new bike or charge to fix the one I have. I bought the bike in DFW because at the time no one local to Tyler had one in stock and this one was a real good price. If I had the money, I would just buy a new 2016 and be done with all the issues that pre 2014 models have. To answer the issue, Wide Open Throttle start will get it started when this happens. So far, out of the 24k miles I have put on the bike, this has happened three times that it didn't want to start. Right now, I have the bike in pieces waiting on shims to come in because of the 24k valve check. The cheapest price guess (no one would give a quote in the Tyler/Longview area) was about $700 to do a valve check. So far, the process has gone fairly well. the intake is on the high, but the exhaust side is .001" out of tolerance. So, shims are in the mail as soon as I come up with some cash to pay for them along with a new cam chain tensioner (I really don't want to put the old one back on knowing that there could be a issue with it).

Clutch basket is a non issue for me. I came off a V-Strom so the Tenere is heaven in comparison to drive line vibrations. If Yamaha would offer it for free I then only might consider. The CCT is not an issue either until it starts making noise. When it does no dealer can refuse replacing it under warranty and then it will be the updated 2014 part as it supercedes the old 2012/2013 part number. Haven't heard of a single failure prior to 50,000 miles and most have been closer to or over 100,000. You will get the warning sounds so don't ignore it.

_

Rumor has it there may be a recall coming for the Hard Start condition.

My 2012 is flashed and has PCV on it. In the 35K I have ridden it, I have never had a hard start. YMMV

I replaced the CCT around 25K as it was getting real noisy. While I was in there I put in 2014 clutch basket and a Barnett pressure plate.

Haven't gotten around to getting the fuel pump and headlight harness recalls done. I figure if the tank was going to leak it would be already, and I rebuilt the headlight harness when it failed a year before the recall.

Last edited:
Haven't gotten around to getting the fuel pump and headlight harness recalls done. I figure if the tank was going to leak it would be already, and I rebuilt the headlight harness when it failed a year before the recall.

I didn't know there were recalls on them for this. I guess I need to stay more informed on my motorbikes. Is there a thread on it somewhere?

Simmons - I replaced the CCT around 25K as it was getting real noisy and headlight harness recalls done.

Funny, most FZ09 and some of the FJ09 are having issues with the CCT. The message board have large threads about this issue. Yamaha claims there is no problem with the CCT, but provides an upgraded version as a good will token. It has been shown to be the exact same design/specs as the one it replaced. Many FZ09 and FJ09 are going with a manual cam chain tensioner instead. It seems to be selling quite well.

...headlight harness recall announced about a year ago on all FZ09 and some FJ09...they must be sharing the same engineer interns.

:rofl:

RB

Last edited:
What is it with yamahas and fuel pumps?

Fuel pump is fine. They are not known for failures on Super T's.

Some of the very first PDP bikes may have had the o-ring that seals the pump to the tank twisted so it might leak. They had a couple bikes that leaked gas when the dealer serviced them after uncrating them.

...headlight harness recall announced about a year ago on all FZ09 and some FJ09...they must be sharing the same engineer interns.

RB

Or used the harness from the earlier ST's which were recalled for the same issues.

Or used the harness from the earlier ST's which were recalled for the same issues.

Yes, what a silly issue to have. Don't they test obvious issues like that by sitting on the bike and turning the handlebars full turns in either direction? On the FZ09, the harness would pull out of the front light socket and render the light non-operable.

icon_naughty.gif

Yamaha makes great engines, but uggg, persistent fuel mapping problems, cam chain clanking and breaking, FJR gear ticking of death...and ALL 2015 R1 are now being recalled due to a both second gear wheel and pinion gears in the transmission can break as a result of extremely high stress and/or improper shifting. This is due to inadequate component strength and stress concentration at the gear teeth bottom land....among other recall campaigns.

RB

Back