• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

reasons to get up at 5:30 AM on Saturday

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Yep, up 5:30 AM this morning. This is why:

shower, breakfast, poodles walked
geared up, planned route out NW to some hills and curves and farm country
Triumph STRX 675 recently tuned up and ready
not hot
not raining
low traffic except for bicycles
cagers fairly reasonable
some construction zones not in middle repairs and backups
moderate cloud cover reduces direct sun heating
light winds.

2.5 hours home and happy and not exhausted from predicted 107 heat index here in Sugar Land area. Ride early is the game.

I'm a newbie, and also an early riser. In the pre-dawn hours is there much extra difficulty as far as navigation or road conditions?

There's nothing like a cool Texas morning.

Got up, not that early, but got some riding and breakfast in this morning myself. Good stuff.

I love being out on a farm road as it gets light, a little light overnight fog that drifts over my head, cooler air in the bottoms, maybe a pickup here and there, but mainly just me, my bike, and the road. It's the best time of the day.
Dave.

My reasons were a little different...

What's that smoke rising in the morning sun?

RiuGxKJl.jpg

It's MEAT!

jQ49bMql.jpg

I did something similar a couple weeks ago. LOVE being able to zip out of Austin without traffic. 250 miles and done by noon.

I'm a newbie, and also an early riser. In the pre-dawn hours is there much extra difficulty as far as navigation or road conditions?

Pre-dawn: watch out for critters, but my experience is these are out a lot more post-dusk than pre-dawn. Then also be wary of the cars that are out - they tend to think they are alone on the roads, too, especially in less trafficked areas.

There's nothing like a cool Texas morning.

I'm on the road almost every Saturday morning before the sun. When getting out of town watch for drivers who should have gotten a few more hours of sleep. It's pretty common to see at least two drivers all over the road somewhere between central Houston and Sealy on any given Saturday. Once out of town, watch for wildlife. I wrecked a Saturn hitting a raccoon just outside of Ellinger just around sunrise. Certain times of the year expect fog in low lying areas. Other than that, enjoy the lighter traffic and more reasonable temperatures.

I agree. Leaving west Houston on Saturday and going west on I-10 through the Katy area onto Brookshire be prepared for stalled traffic and crazy drivers escaping Houston. On Sunday the same thing only they are going east. I'm thankful that I'm retired. Riding on weekdays takes some of the stress out. kenray in katy.

Newbie,

I will affirm: watch for critters and fog and dregs of last night's drivers or sleepy ones.

I will add that low sun angle light conditions, riding to east, can obscure vision. So, be aware. Best ride I have had in quite a while, burned a full tank on the triple, about 180 miles. Rinse and repeat next week likely. Up early Sunday for ride into church.

:rofl: It was some raccoon! Seriously though, hitting something even as small as a raccoon in the dark at highway speeds is going to do serious damage to a low ground clearance car or bring down a bike. I miss that Saturn. It had over 200k on it when it finally went to the boneyard.

Last edited:
One of these days I'll have weekends off again. My Saturdays are up at 5 so the ride to work is nice. The ride home at 4 is a bit swampy.

Get up at 5:00 to 5:30? Of Course to go EAT :eat:

Back