• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Going Tubeless on the AT

I have seen that done with jeep/truck off road tires. I've never attempted it. It looks like a fast way to remove what hair I have left on my head... :huh2:

We did it up here for a motorcycle tire tech day and it does work quite well. The big difference is to not add too much fuel. Not for purposes of eyebrow preservation, but too much produces too rich of an environment and won't ignite as fast.

Oh and keep the valve core out as it will let air in once the heated air starts to cool. Otherwise it can possibility suck the tire off the bead again.

I ordered a set of red billet aluminum valve stem covers / removers, should be here soon I hope :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No major rides yet, but the tubeless is holding up just fine so far. They haven't lost a single pound of air since I put them on...

The tube to tubeless conversion using tape or other sealant has been going on for 10 years or more, so there is no question it will work.

The only thing that caught my eye was when you were talking about airing down TKC 80s on a 500 pound bike. I was just trying to help you avoid rim damage.

Edit: I just pulled into my place in the mountains so I went out and took a quick picture of one of the dings on the rim that could pose a problem with tubeless.. There are two or three on each side and I don't go under 30 psi off road on my 500 pound bike. If you don't ride to the point where you slam into rocks and bend rims, then no issues with the tubeless conversion.

I ran off road keeps. All the guys are running tubeless. No has issues. I'm thinking of following your lead.

Forgot about this thread. I have since put on about 2,000 miles with three different sets of tires, some of it in Colorado with some killer hard / fast rides on lots of big rock country. Tore off several knobs on my rear TKC80 which was shot after 350 miles. Several hill country rides and still perfect !!! I rode with 34 lbs in front and 36 in the rear while in Colorado. Was willing to give up some traction for the extra rim protection. Somehow they are still round :)

Back