• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Mermite Pannier setup

1x1 Alum angle riveted to the sides
144053747-L.jpg

Seal glued in place, hope it holds.
144053911-L.jpg

Couple Old Navy clearance bags to use to bring my work clothes and lunch in, etc.
144053852-L.jpg

Decided to paint the plastics while I was at it. Spray on bedliner. I will do the mermites once I take them off.
144054135-L.jpg

Will it be back together and rolling to show off tomorrow night @ DS?

Wow, those are some unusual looking bags.... You might want to check Ebay for some pelican cases. They're cheap, lite, and durable.

Will it be back together and rolling to show off tomorrow night @ DS?
Rode it in this morning :D Missing the side plastics, but they have not been on for a couple weeks. Rear fender will still be red as I painted a spare I had.

Wow, those are some unusual looking bags.... You might want to check Ebay for some pelican cases. They're cheap, lite, and durable.
The bags are as my girlfriend calls my "murse" :lol2: Fit perfect in the mermites also. I have not ran across any free pelican 1550's so these fit the bill/budget. Plus I am not sold on how the pelican's open

Unless you are real stuck on alu cases - I hear good things about the set-up sold by Caribou Cases ( rack and pelican cases for panniers) supposed to be real tuff

Unless you are real stuck on alu cases - I hear good things about the set-up sold by Caribou Cases ( rack and pelican cases for panniers) supposed to be real tuff
If I wanted to drop the coin, those would be on my bike along with the top box. Quick release, locakable to the rack and the case itself. Real nice setup. Just have a hard time dropping ~$1100 on a bike worth maaaaaybe 3 grand.

Last edited:
I like that setup also. Real clean!

So far this is my investment:
Happy Trails rack and mount set (slightly used) $215 shipped
Mermites $free
Aluminum angle ~$8.50
2 cans of rattle can bed liner ~$16 (Will need 2 more since I used 1.5 on the plastics :lol:
~4 hours of my time at most $free

So for under $250, I really can't complain.

You mentioned liking the Caribou case setup. You're only about $170 away if you can live without the built in locks (Pelicans can use external pad locks) and can use a drill. ;-)

I will roll with this and see how I like having panniers. I imagine if I start going long distances regularly I will get either a second bike for that or sell the KLR and get a touring model. Only reasons I can't do that now is the KLR is so cheap to maintain and easy to work on I can't part with it. Plus I don't have the cash to put towards something nicer and I refuse to finance a bike.

Back