• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newline I am planning to leave the morning of the 8th after work from Conroe, stop over (camp) at at halfway then on to Tombstone on the 9th, on the 10th we can leisure ride up to the gathering point for the 11th, this part will be off road so will part of the ride in west Tex NM and Az on the way to Tombstone. No real schedule time wise and flexible on where we stop and how we get to where we are going as long as we get to the start location o time. Still Snowy up there so be ready for the worst, not Donner Party bad but you know, bring thermals and an extra energy bar so we dont have to take extreme measures.

Masterblaster
Looking forward to the ride. Get me info on the schedule and i will be there. Never been to Tombstone!

Last edited:
Wow.. what an offer! To bad I'm not closer to Montgomery... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riders,

I have been massaging the gps files linked in the first post. Specifically, I have deleted the sections of the GDR that we aren't planning on riding, combined sections by day, and created two routes from the tracks. The first route is the regular route (i.e. does not include the easy bypasses or the dual sport/single track sections) and the second is the dual sport route (includes the dual sport/single track sections).

I'm no GPS guru or expert but I think the files are in good order. I created them using in Mapsource using City Navigator 2017. You can download them here.

I'm still not sure will the work allow me. I would so like to go with you guys. Got my fingers crossed.

Good chance that I may do this ride as well... also on a 1290 SA (alias "torquey pig"). I did a 16 day solo trip thru Baja on my 1290 in April... solo wasn't ideal for the remote off-pavement sections, but it worked out! MasterBlaster a PM is coming your way as I'd like to hear your thoughts on a couple of things. Cheers - Curtis

Good chance that I may do this ride as well... also on a 1290 SA (alias "torquey pig"). I did a 16 day solo trip thru Baja on my 1290 in April... solo wasn't ideal for the remote off-pavement sections, but it worked out! MasterBlaster a PM is coming your way as I'd like to hear your thoughts on a couple of things. Cheers - Curtis

if i can do it anyone can.. just gas on that big pig and hope for the best!! cant wait to see everyone there..

Looking for finals for trip to Silver City - Bro-in-law (Brett) and I are heading out on June 8th from Southlake. We got hall passes and have realized that that kickstands up in Silver City is on the 11th, not the 10th. So, we have all day the 8th, 9th, and 10th to get to Silver City. We were thinking about camping at Carlsbad and then heading over, but with the extra time, who knows. Who else is leaving on the 8th from that area?

Looking for finals for trip to Silver City - Bro-in-law (Brett) and I are heading out on June 8th from Southlake. We got hall passes and have realized that that kickstands up in Silver City is on the 11th, not the 10th. So, we have all day the 8th, 9th, and 10th to get to Silver City. We were thinking about camping at Carlsbad and then heading over, but with the extra time, who knows. Who else is leaving on the 8th from that area?
ill be riding out of midland tx.. i dont know what day i am leaving yet.

Deersplitter, where will you guys be staying the night of the 8th? Are you planning to make it to Carlsbad that evening?

Jampad - We can easily get to Carlsbad. I know you and I messaged on this a while back and you guys were meeting about possibly going all the way to Cloudcroft, so let me know as we are open. We can camp in Carlsbad on 8th, then ride backroads to Cloudcroft on the 9th (easy 125 miles followed by beer), and the rest of the way to Silver City (200 plus) on the 10th (but that would be pumping it). Or go past Cloudcfroft on the 9th. ****, or go to the Mexican border and start there.

What is you guys' plan? We are going to be at Jacks in Roanoke next week sometime if you guys want to meet up also.

DeerSplitter,

One suggestion is to plan on arriving in Silver City on Friday. Then take Saturday and do a 300 mile paved loop of Hwy 191 in AZ. I haven't personally ridden it, but I've heard it is a spectacular road and should not be missed.

The route would be: Silver City, NM - Morenci, AZ - Hwy 191 north to Alpine, AZ - Hwy 180 back to Silver City.

I plotted it on Google Maps (maybe this link will work).

If I had an extra day, it's what I would do.

Jampad - We can easily get to Carlsbad. I know you and I messaged on this a while back and you guys were meeting about possibly going all the way to Cloudcroft, so let me know as we are open. We can camp in Carlsbad on 8th, then ride backroads to Cloudcroft on the 9th (easy 125 miles followed by beer), and the rest of the way to Silver City (200 plus) on the 10th (but that would be pumping it). Or go past Cloudcfroft on the 9th. ****, or go to the Mexican border and start there.

What is you guys' plan? We are going to be at Jacks in Roanoke next week sometime if you guys want to meet up also.

I will be riding with JoToPe and dualsportrider... They are actually still planning to leave early Friday morning. I am thinking I will leave work in Gainesville on the 8th and start riding that way.... I was thinking of getting a hotel in Snyder and then Friday I will hang out and wait for my guys to show up and then head out for Cloudcroft... I was wanting to see if you guys would be anywhere around on the 8th but looks like you will be much further along once I get to Snyder...

I like Trail Boss's idea, but who knows what will happen on actual leaving time on the 8th. Because of weather we won't know for 2 weeks still. I will check out Snyder as well. Plus I love Cloudcroft and would to stay there. Only ride through once a couple years ago.

JQ1.0 and I will be looking for somebody to ride with starting the second day, since we are doing something different on the first day. We'll be at breakfast for day two, hopefully meet up with a medium pace group (that's taking the harder dirt sections) then.

Most of Colorado just got another 36+ inches of snow in the mountains. :(

I really want to ride this high passes! Sounds like that may not be looking promising in June...

Might have to switch over to a snow machine.

Wow some serious snow just dropped on CO yesterday. Still snowing today and forecast says tomorrow also. Not in inches either, multiple feet of snow.

Better bring your skis

_

Wow some serious snow just dropped on CO yesterday. Still snowing today and forecast says tomorrow also. Not in inches either, multiple feet of snow.

Better bring your skis

_

I signed on hoping to get my first off-pavement experience. And my first big group experience. Still going, taking maps. If I have to re route to all pavement, so be it. I haven't had a bad trip to NM/Colorado yet and I don't expect this one to be either. Maybe I'll end up mostly in Arizona and Utah, I'll just wait and see what makes the most sense when I get there.
Be flexible, have a good ride.

Planning to adjust as necessary, no need to worry too much, thats whats make it an adventure, you never know what you will run into along the way. Anything else you might as well call a UBER.

I signed on hoping to get my first off-pavement experience. And my first big group experience. Still going, taking maps. If I have to re route to all pavement, so be it. I haven't had a bad trip to NM/Colorado yet and I don't expect this one to be either. Maybe I'll end up mostly in Arizona and Utah, I'll just wait and see what makes the most sense when I get there.
Be flexible, have a good ride.

Right on Masterblaster! Forget Uber, I want an adventure! Like I've said many times before.... This is going to be EPIC!

Hello riders -- keen to hear what folks will be riding on this CDR adventure.

Specifically interested to hear what big bikes are going (i.e. 1200GS, 1190/1290 KTMs, Super Tenere, etc).

So what's your ride for this trip?

Last edited:
The Legendary KLR650...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back