• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Noob question re: boots

My experience is that motocross style footwear (or street racing) merely transfers the energy higher up and results in higher fractures at street speeds. Great leverage on the knees, so to speak. I have motorcycle specific touring boots, but they offer no more stability than my work boots. I am buying a new pair of work boots soon and my old boots become my new motorcycle boots. I'm through buying $200 to $300 motorcycle boots that are uncomfortable to walk in.

My experience is that motocross style footwear (or street racing) merely transfers the energy higher up and results in higher fractures at street speeds. Great leverage on the knees, so to speak. I have motorcycle specific touring boots, but they offer no more stability than my work boots. I am buying a new pair of work boots soon and my old boots become my new motorcycle boots. I'm through buying $200 to $300 motorcycle boots that are uncomfortable to walk in.

I would have to agree. But I've even seen stiff boots transfer that energy at low dirt speeds. I know more friends on dirt bikes with knee problems than I know without knee problems. Then they go and get knee braces and all that does is transfer the energy to their pelvis and low back. Any way you go, when you crash, that energy has to go somewhere.

I ordered the "Micheiln Man" suit. This outa cover everything. This is a picture of me in my new protective gear.

1059291763_ZUuPS-L.jpg

In proper dirt boots you would have had the same outcome. Sorry to be a party pooper, but I've seen it too many times in person. There are some things to keep stuff like that from happening, but they aren't things having to do with your footwear.

So would someone explain to me why I should wear these "proper" motorcycle boots?
http://www.newenough.com/street/boo...s/joe_rocket/pro_street_motorcycle_boots.html

Or these...
http://www.newenough.com/street/boo...pinestars/octane_motorcycle_riding_shoes.html

Or even these....
http://www.newenough.com/street/boo...lpinestars/smx_1_riding_motorcycle_shoes.html

Yep, they are all from certified "motorcycle" clothing companies so by some people's definition they are "proper" motorcycle boots, yet I wouldn't wear any of them for one mile. Oh yeah, they are expensive so surely they protect your feet!:roll:

LOL, Heck 2 LOL's. I agree! Worn out Converse high tops would offer just as much protection.

My 2 cents: As long as you actually clear the motorcyle in a get-off, most all leather boots (that don't come off!!) will do a decent job protecting your feet. A slow MPH fall (as in dual sporting in slippery stuff/trail riding/etc.) putting the bike on your foot makes having a thick soled boot a welcome. Don't ask me how I know this...:doh:

I have a freind that's a podiatrist. He's bought a new house and a Mercedes from riders who don't wear proper foot gear. Mostly low speed falls where the foot gets pinned. The ankles and foot bones get ground under the weight of the bike. Unless your hiking boot is of the "expedition" type (able to mount crampons) with stiff soles and ankles they dont' hold up to the wieght. My riding buddy Perry learned this in Big Bend a couple years ago when he high sided his KLR going about 20 mph and the bike landed on his foot. But wear want you are willing to accept as risk.

I have a freind that's a podiatrist. He's bought a new house and a Mercedes from riders who don't wear proper foot gear. Mostly low speed falls where the foot gets pinned. The ankles and foot bones get ground under the weight of the bike. Unless your hiking boot is of the "expedition" type (able to mount crampons) with stiff soles and ankles they dont' hold up to the wieght. My riding buddy Perry learned this in Big Bend a couple years ago when he high sided his KLR going about 20 mph and the bike landed on his foot. But wear want you are willing to accept as risk.

I guess my point was... even with the most expensive dirt boots that provide the best support (and at the same time are horrid to do anything else but sit on a motorcycle) will either leave you with the same busted ankle, or worse... a busted ankle, knee, and low back. Especially with all the new riders getting into "adventure" riding, there is no way to keep 500+ pounds of bike from doing some serious damage when you get pinned under it.

Maybe instead of arguing about which boots are best we should be figuring out that a 500lb behemoth of a road bike makes a crappy choice for sand riding. I'll bet that would reduce the number of ankle injuries much quicker.:lol2:

From personal experience:trust:, I conclude it is a combination of factors. Proper footwear AND understanding the limits of a 600lb GS, AND knowing your skill limits.

Had I been wearing boots that had stiffer sides/support to lessen the about of twist, I feel it may have helped. I am going to upgrade my boots but I do not plan on purposively testing that theory.

A GS performs admirably in rocks, etc. Has the torque to get you up the steep hills and to ‘power thru’ rough terrain. Great street riding while taking the slab to your next off-pavement adventure. Sand, however, not so much. I love my GS for its qualities and have no plans to change bikes, but I think I have learned a lot about its (and this rider’s) limitations.

I don’t feel that correction of any one factor is sufficient. All factors must be taking into consideration. Boots, bike limits, skill. To address one, without the other is asking for trouble. Trust me:trust:, I know.

Bob, did the hard bags factor into your recent fall and resulting damage? I seen those debated on many occasions as to whether the solid saddlebags don't allow any movement when the leg gets caught underneath. Soft bags have some give both in the mounting and the bags to allow some movement and absorb some of the force. I had a Tiger with hard bags and when she layed down and my foot didn't get out of the way I got thrown hard and even with MX boots it was a big hit. With soft bags on the DRZ, I know it's a lot lighter, the forces are much less and I've been able to extricate from under the bike every time.

I don't think the hardness was as much of a factor as the bulk. My injury was not from the impact but that my foot was held while I turned during my fall.

Had I not had any side cases, perhaps my foot would have cleared. In this case however, I feel my issue was simply have large cases (soft or hard).

If you are camping, well, you got stuff to carry. 'sides, where do you put your stickers?

The hard cases do make a heavy bike easer to pick up because the bike does not go all the way down. Once when foolishly trying to cross the James Rive Crossing (which is like trying to ride over a snot covered ice cube), without bags - I spilled and the bike layed all the way down completely submerging the air intake snorkle. This was not a good thing.

Anaconda also snapped her ankle while riding her Strom in the sand. She also had hard bags on, and I'm pretty sure it was a common conclusion that the bags were a major factor with the injury.

Simple physics will win out every time. You have momentum, your foot gets stuck, and you roll off the bike. That force WILL go somewhere, it's just a matter of finding the weak link. Whether you want that weak link to be your ankle, knee, or back, it's up to you guys!

I agree 100%!! My surgeon removed my cast today and left two large pins in my left toe for the next two weeks for my fractured toe to heal from DR650 falling on my left left while I was pushing it on an algae covered ford. The boots I had on had much heavier leather over the toe than many "dedicated" motorcycle boots. I learned my lesson(expensively and painfully). I will have more protection over my toes the next time I am on a bike, particularly these bigger ones.

Back