• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 1190 Heat Reduction Advise

I put the wings carbon fiber side panels on mine, not cheap but well made and resolved the heat issue. I also had the powerparts seats which may have helped with the heat, but certainly improved the comfort.

I put the wings carbon fiber side panels on mine, not cheap but well made and resolved the heat issue. I also had the powerparts seats which may have helped with the heat, but certainly improved the comfort.
Are the Powerpart seats same as what is referred to as the KTM Ergo seats?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm to the point I'm trying to decide between the wings covers (or maybe the carbon knock-offs) and the KTM carbon infill from the 1290SA I believe.

Any definitive data on which helps the heat the best? The both look nice in their own right.

I put on the wings carbon fiber covers and it helped some along with a thermal blanket under the seat. I bought some header wrap that I plan on putting over the headers this spring. I will use the extra heat this winter.

I am also considering removing the cat. I hear that really improves the heat problem.

The insulated rear header came in today. I can see no way you could have it coated as the insulation is bonded to the pipe. So when I get back from Mextrek I'll install it.

Now I'm torn on whether to go with KTM's full carbon side cover or the Wings cover. The Wings encloses more horizontally across the top but not as deep vertically as the KTM part. Both are close to the same price.

Which ever side cover you get try and put some reflective insulation tap on the back side of it because the side cover will get hot after a while without the insulation.

Which ever side cover you get try and put some reflective insulation tap on the back side of it because the side cover will get hot after a while without the insulation.
The KTM panels come with insulation. The Wings don't but will add it if I go that route.

There's only one thing that's stopping me from going KTM panels and that is that they don't have the little wings scoop like Wings and I don't know how effective those are considering your legs are in the way.

Does this 1190 have a healthy exhaust bark and speed shifter ? A local rider sounded good leaving the hood around noonish today, I was working in the garage and 10 minutes from my own departure.
One of our neighbors has a sweet Duc or SDR if it was not you.

I love the 1190 motor, some have a problem with heat and some live with it. The FJR was exactly the same way, my '05 is medium toasty from November to March. I hope you get it sorted, a rompin' good bike.

Perhaps folklore or poor humor, maybe the age old debate and interweb jousting but one might suggest the best advise for a hot KTM is a cool BMW.

Perhaps folklore or poor humor, maybe the age old debate and interweb jousting but one might suggest the best advise for a hot KTM is a cool BMW.

Certainly can't deny the science, slower is typically cooler....

Had an 04 and 13 FJR. The heat issue was real and fixed on the 13. I'm seeing history repeating itself with the 1190.

Bored and looking through threads ...

Bart, do you want to give the KTM shield a try see if it works while on your trip?

If it does, buy me a replacement.
If it doesn't just gimme it back.

Last edited:
Bored and looking through threads ...

Bart, do you want to give the KTM shield a try see if it works while on your trip?

If it does, buy me a replacement.
If it doesn't just gimme it back.
Mitch, that's a great offer.

I'm not taking this bike to the Mextrek trip. Let me get back from that trip and install the insulated header pipe and then we can do the swap and see what difference it makes.

Here is the area where this barrier will sit.

HeatShield_NotInstalled-X3.jpg

And here it is in place.

HeatShield_installed-X3.jpg

And I added additional reflective heat barrier on the the insert.

HeatShield_barrier-X3.jpg

I'll ride it a bit either tomorrow or Tuesday and see if I can tell a difference.

I used the "Support TWT" link in the header to order it from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029KC2K/?tag=twowhetex-20

Testing update ...

Rode about 2 hours with light wind and temps in the 80s.
And amazingly enough, I think the insert works.

I just zip-tied in place and reinstalled the KTM PP ergo seat. No tape to seal the gaps.
The outer edges of the seat were noticeably warmer to the touch than the middle.

My inner thighs were feeling the warm air up to about 40 mph. After that, heat just on the edges of the seat.
The heat energy has to go somewhere.
It appears the heated air is flushed out the sides.
But after some windspeed, it is dissipated rapidly.

Before i begin taping anything, I'm gonna ride it for a while just to make sure my butt-o-meter is properly calibrated.
But I gotta say ... I'm pleasantly surprised at just how well it seems to work.

Last edited:
So far I've installed the insulated rear header pipe and the plastic barrier panel under the seat with thermal barrier installed and this thing is still hot. Road 200+ miles today in mid-60 degree weather and could really feel the heat radiating up around the legs and bottom of seat.

I have the triangular panels coming soon and will install a reflective barrier on those before installing them but I don't have much hope that'll help that much.

The good news is the bike is awesome. Handles beautifully 2-up and packs a great punch when you spur it.

It sounds like you've done almost everything to try and resolve the excessive heat that's making riding a great bike an unpleasant experience. You've even gone two steps further than I did, with the addition of the insulated header and the seat barrier. It looks to me like the big difference between our two bikes is the skid plate. I would sure be interested to see if you saw any difference in the heat if you pulled your skid plate and took it for a test ride. I've always wondered if the big aftermarket skid plates covering the exhaust and lower portion of the engine wasn't trapping heat...

It sounds like you've done almost everything to try and resolve the excessive heat that's making riding a great bike an unpleasant experience. You've even gone two steps further than I did, with the addition of the insulated header and the seat barrier. It looks to me like the big difference between our two bikes is the skid plate. I would sure be interested to see if you saw any difference in the heat if you pulled your skid plate and took it for a test ride. I've always wondered if the big aftermarket skid plates covering the exhaust and lower portion of the engine wasn't trapping heat...
Interesting thought. Do you have a skid plate installed?

On thing I noticed was that underway when I felt the heat I could open my legs a bit and get my knee into the airflow. This would dramatically reduce the heat very quickly. That was all well and good but it becomes uncomfortable after a while. Also, obviously doesn't help when in very slow traffic or stopped.

The Wings side covers have a very small scoop on the leading edge but I doubt there's any airflow in that area at any speed.

I'm starting to think the Rottweiler airbox upgrade will make a significant difference in that it allows air to pass through the tank center channel and funnel into the rear header area.

Interesting thought. Do you have a skid plate installed?

I just run the stock one. It leaves the exhaust and engine cases exposed to air. I know the stock doesn't offer much protection, but the two track I travel doesn't require much. But, if you could identify the aftermarket skid plate as the culprit to your excessive heat, then you could either find one that will allow better cooling or modify the existing one to vent better. It wouldn't take much to remove it and test the theory. Just a thought...

I have a B&B skid plate mounted, just to toss that into the mix.

I'm quite surprised to hear you still have a hot seat after everything you've done.
KTM PP ergo seat, insert and wrapped header pipe all seem to significantly reduce the amount of heat transferred to my rear end.

Rode about 250 miles today through Strawn and points north and east. Speeds varied from 80 on the pavement to 35 on gravel roads. RPM was typically 4500-5500. Seat was never uncomfortable.

Yours is a 15, right? Could there be that much difference in radiant heat?

Back